• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers release a kicker, shore up offensive line

1 hour ago, Manna said:

I still have trauma from us cutting a rookie kicker and trying to stash him on the practice field for a “proven” vet. 

Who is now the highest paid kicker league, btw. It’s a kick in the nuggets for me still every time I watch him kick.

2 hours ago, Manna said:

I still have trauma from us cutting a rookie kicker and trying to stash him on the practice field for a “proven” vet. 

Expect this to play out similarly, except in that scenario, Gano eventually bounced back to clutch/consistent and a top kicker in the league after we let him go too.  In this scenario, Mevis will go onto be a solid kicker in the league, while Eddy will choke himself out of a job - all while being unable to kick anything beyond 55 yards max. 

Good to see us settle again.  In true Panthers fashion.

52 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Expect this to play out similarly, except in that scenario, Gano eventually bounced back to clutch/consistent and a top kicker in the league after we let him go too.  In this scenario, Mevis will go onto be a solid kicker in the league, while Eddy will choke himself out of a job - all while being unable to kick anything beyond 55 yards max. 

Good to see us settle again.  In true Panthers fashion.

The question is, if we released Pinero, would he then become one of the best kickers in the league?

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The question is, if we released Pinero, would he then become one of the best kickers in the league?

I just don't think Pinero ever would.  He's super accurate with us, but that's because most of his kicks have been inconsequential.  Our team has sucked, especially offense while he's been here, and most of his kicks have very little effect on the games.  When they have mattered its hard to tell what ye would be.  I remember off the top of my head that he won a game last year, mightve done it twice, but he also lost one against ATL with a huge miss (might've been the DJ Moore helmet game?).  So results are a mixed bag.  What makes kickers elite, imo, is ability to kick from distance, consistency/accuracy, and clutch factor.  Piniero has demonstrated only consistency/accuracy in meaningless games.  I honestly think if he went somewhere else where the kicks matter, he would be exposed.

I wanted Mevis.  And for the record, I said to keep Butker over Gano when they were both here.

10 hours ago, Camp Fodder said:

Actually the right move. Easily a top 8 kicker if his offense actually put him into scoring position more

I can’t tell if this a genuine compliment or  not. Aren’t kickers judged by how well they do on 50 and 55 plus? I feel like the drop off after top 5 or so guys is distinct. 

10 hours ago, pantherdad said:

What is it with this team releasing kickers named Harrison?  Watch him go on to have a pro bowl career.. Panthers gonna Panthers

100% Mevis gonna be a hall of famer for the cowboys or something now 

14 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I guess that means Pinero will be the kicker for this season as well......Yay........

Yanno, Eddie has been really good for us and if we actually got him more work, that'd be great. Right now, at least, the kicker and punter are the least of this team's worries.  And last year, they were probably the only weapons the team had in the bag. 

I'm so hopefully for a better season this time around. The bar that has been set is not very high at all to show improvement.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Yanno, Eddie has been really good for us and if we actually got him more work, that'd be great. Right now, at least, the kicker and punter are the least of this team's worries.  And last year, they were probably the only weapons the team had in the bag. 

I'm so hopefully for a better season this time around. The bar that has been set is not very high at all to show improvement.

I don't know why people complain about Eddie.  Sure he doesn't have a booming leg for a 57 yard field goal.  But he's pretty damn consistent within his range.  It's rare to find a kicker with that kind of accuracy and a booming leg.  That's basically a HOF kicker.

Sure he did have a bad game in Atlanta, but most kickers do have one every now and again.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I don't know why people complain about Eddie.  Sure he doesn't have a booming leg for a 57 yard field goal.  But he's pretty damn consistent within his range.  It's rare to find a kicker with that kind of accuracy and a booming leg.  That's basically a HOF kicker.

Sure he did have a bad game in Atlanta, but most kickers do have one every now and again.

Eddie is what you want from your kicker. They are meant to grab three points for you when your team bogs down between the 20 and 35 yard lines. And he does that magnificently. And they are meant to seal the seven for you on touchdowns.

Those shots from 50+ are always a pull the team out of the fire thing and he's decent there, even good. A team that can boast about their kicker hitting multiple kicks from 57-63 yards each season isn't telling the full story... that their offenses bog down and their defenses aren't strong enough to make something from pinning the opponent inside the five with a good punt.

You get a guy like Eddie on your team, you sign the contract and keep him comfortable while you work on the rest of the team.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I think it’s hard for people to forget him blowing the game for us under Wilks. That was pretty bad and not even playoff pressure. 

That tweet about Pinero being perfect today, said the pressure was off. Okay, so is he the man only when there is no pressure? 

I am not giving answers, just saying what questions people might have. 

I used to be a devout Panthers fan going to training camp, fan fest and games on top of posting on the huddle everyday. Tepper has sucked the life out of this team and I honestly have no interest in football or the Panthers anymore. It’s just sad that such an inept person was ever allowed to take over a franchise and run it into the ground.

• Beer 1