• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Start Up Business - Looking for a crash course

bleys

There are a lot of smart people on this forum and I'm looking for a crash course to make sure I have everything covered, and maybe gain an overall perspective with a new business I plan to start.

I have a business plan I'm putting together that deals with online backup and data protection.. So the typical inventory will not be so much of an issue and the startup costs should not be overwhelming (like 10's of thousands).

I have no real credit and no equity so a loan from a bank is pretty much out of the question.. I also kind of like the idea not going in totally in the red when I start out, although, it would be an easier route...

I have the basics planned for.. those include the cost of: phone line, internet, office space, storage space, LLC, telemarketing center (should I go that route), source to generate leads (should I go that route, most likely this is cheaper), computers, utilities (for office, not sure the going rate to expect or if it's included in rent), random supplies, and furniture..

I've never rented office space so I'm not sure what I can expect from that.. anyone with experience renting either commercially or just office space in a building, I would love to know what to expect in utilities (if they are included in rent) and if it's easy to find places that provide basic office furniture...

As for taxes, I've never started up a business.. My father has ran one for 20+ years so there are a few things I'll pick his brain over, but I don't expect it to be anything but basic information.. So with taxes I will have to provide corporate tax, state tax, income tax, sales tax, employer taxes, and city taxes? I guess an accountant is the easier way to go about this, huh...

Benefits to different business setups.. Just go ahead with an LLC? Sole proprietor save more coin? Not real familiar between them all, but I understand LLC is the safest...

With this being a type of online business, I guess I should not try to route it through Europe, eh? lol

A lot of this stuff I'm somewhat familiar with and some of it I just need to ask a professional, but I realize there are quite a few people here that I should ask as well.. perhaps a discussion will generate a few things I haven't thought of yet... If you don't mind, I really appreciate it..

When asking for free advice keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for.

definitely keeping that in mind.. just posting to see if someone throws something out there.. the taxes, an accountant will help with.. any legal advice, a lawyer.. but when business owners and people with good general business sense are on the forum, I figured I'd see if there wasn't anything to pick up...

Dont they have a website for free advice??

Score.org I think thats the site.

actually, thanks.. never know what someone might say or know that I haven't come across.. this site is one of them..

Carbonite?

depends.. certain companies like this, or mozy, that cost $5/month are directed towards individuals.. some are low in security, etc.. carbonite looks pretty good though..

online backup and data protection for businesses that store large amounts of sensitive data... a service fee to us rather than hiring someone to manage a backup server, the money to install a backup server, and that server going down causing them to lose more money.. (perhaps saving them even more by not having to replace that type of hardware)

Two problems I immediately see.

1. Convincing companies that you are not a start up: you will have to have a killer website and figure out some way of convincing companies that you are more established than you actually are. If you are a dentist, bikini waxer, or person storing important and sensitive data, you don't want people to think this is your first time, even if it is.

2. Cooling your space: you are going to be producing a lot of heat with that equipment. You'll need to find a way to spot cool that room effectively, or you will be forking over a ton of cash to the electric company.

I can't offer any small business advice (I'm working on a website where I can sell my own books but that's about as far as I go in entrepenuership) but if you get it off the ground I know of two businesses who are looking to switch from Carbonite if you can compete with them. The modeling agency my wife works for and the sign design and manufacturing company I work for.

Let me know when it works out for ya. I'll put the word out best I can after that.

Two problems I immediately see.

1. Convincing companies that you are not a start up: you will have to have a killer website and figure out some way of convincing companies that you are more established than you actually are. If you are a dentist, bikini waxer, or person storing important and sensitive data, you don't want people to think this is your first time, even if it is.

2. Cooling your space: you are going to be producing a lot of heat with that equipment. You'll need to find a way to spot cool that room effectively, or you will be forking over a ton of cash to the electric company.

this is the stuff I'm looking for... I realize everything isn't laid out on the table and am not looking to make this a final proof of my business idea, but this is kind of what I'm looking for.. people to point out any holes they may see... even if it's at face value.. (most of this is at face value)... I love bouncing ideas off of people and curious if what they see is something I haven't pictured...

with that said, I'm not storing the information myself.. I will be reselling for a large corporation that already stores hundreds of thousands of terabytes and I will be a marketing arm for that company (whichever I end up choosing). all of my experience is in this type of business.... not data backup/protection, but as a marketing arm for larger companies...

so the large corporation will essentially be my name, and then I do not even need to tell them how long I've been in business.. I will address and then redirect with something like "thats a great point and many of our clients are concerned about how safe their data will be..." and then point out how long the company (that I'm reselling for) has been in business, military encryption, the size of the company and the millions of businesses they are already backing up.. etc, etc..

Why would I go through you to store data with another company? Seems to be adding a layer of cost. What am I paying you for?

that is a great question, the company and I have come together as one of the same.. The price you pay for our military encryption and 100% data back up is actually more affordable than other companies offering the same service, all the while, they offer you less protection on your data. I am merely a guy they reimburse to help businesses cut costs when you realize you no longer have to pay someone to keep your server up and running. The hardware you will have to buy/had to buy, you no longer have to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars to upgrade/replace/ and most importantly, pay someone to keep running. My reason for contacting you is to provide you with a person, a name and number, who YOU will be able to reach any time of the day when any type of problem occurs while saving your a lot of money in the long run. The one problem you no longer have to stress over will be how much money do you have to fork over to replace the current server that just broke down, the kid from college you have to continually replace (since we all know you want to keep your cost down), and the likely probability that your backup hardware could give out...

for a small fee, your headaches will be gone and your data will be backed up and protected, without you having to move a finger...

----------------------

rough response I just wrote out (with a few edits)

Archived