• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defensive Tackle

invisible38833

Honestly we have a bunch of guys who could be good in a rotation. What we lack is the big physical tackle like we had with Jenkins or the massive nose tackle like Kemo. Thomas showed last year that even at his age with a big stopper in the middle, or run defense got suddenly better. Louis could be good but I want to see how he comes back from his injury before I see him as the answer. The issue with Meeks scheme is that so much emphasis is put on the DEs to get pressure on the quarterback at all costs, that many times they are out of position on run plays and too far up field to recover. Look at how many times last year we were susceptible to runs around the corner because our DEs were caught inside trying to rush the quarterback on an inside stunt or trying to shore up the holes up the middle or between the tackles. The solution to that is a interior pass rush or at least a solid wall of protection which allows the linebackers to flow to the outside without worrying about getting killed on the cutback moves. DEs should be holding the edge and turning things back inside which frankly didn't happen last year. I really think we are going to do or die with who we have and not try and upgrade by getting someone like Haynesworth who could instantly improve the defense. Hopefully someone like Atlanta or New Orleans doesn't either. Since we don't seem bent on improving, hopefully they don't either or we are going to be in third place in the division looking up.

I think we will address that position in the draft. Torrell Troup would be an ideal 4-3 NT. Could at hold the POA and at collapsing the pocket. 3rd-4th probably.

the most successful defensive lines have huge nose tackle types. we only have louis leonard over 320 pounds. i don't care about talent. i don't think ma'ake or damione were very talented, so we don't lose anything there in my opinion. ma'ake, though, was big and stuffed runs. if louis leonard under performs or goes down with an injury, we might be doomed perhaps maybe kind of. this team usually does the opposite of what i thought they were going to do though, so i don't know.

LOL tell that to the 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs.

Guest silver82blade

LOL tell that to the 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs.

there will always be exceptions to anything, but in this particular case they did have warren sapp. he was a big dude.

Little food for thought:

# of DT's selected in the past 5 drafts: 94

Number of those DT's that have made the Pro Bowl: 2 (Ratliff and Ngata)

For that matter how many DTs picked in the second or lower rounds came in and started for their teams their rookie year let alone played well. I bet that list is pretty small as well and was probably concentrated on teams that already had a sucky line. I surely hope that doesn't include us this year. If a draft pick starts on the line they are exceptional or more likely we are in a bunch of trouble.

I think a big body like Troup or Joseph could work out if they're there in the 3rd or 4th, simply as our 2 down run stuffer. Cody would be perfect, but using our first pick on a player that can't be out there on all three downs is questionable.

I don't see the point in trying to replace Pep with pressure up the middle personally unless you get a DE like Wootton or CJ Wilson who can kick inside on passing downs.

For that matter how many DTs picked in the second or lower rounds came in and started for their teams their rookie year let alone played well. I bet that list is pretty small as well and was probably concentrated on teams that already had a sucky line. I surely hope that doesn't include us this year. If a draft pick starts on the line they are exceptional or more likely we are in a bunch of trouble.

exactly. You can say the same for DE. Brown looked great last year......looked great for a rookie.....he probably won't be really ready until year 3 or late in the season this year. There are maybe 1 or 2 DEs or DTs a draft that can come in and really play year 1 in the NFL.

same goes for WR.

kris jenkins came here and put up decent numbers in his rookie season. 60 tkls, 7 sacks, ended up being an alternate in the probowl that year. just fyi...

yet, the panthers haven't drafted a DT as high as the 2nd round since kris jenkins. we picked up corvey irvin in the 3rd last season (along with several other DT in the 3rd in the panthers' draft history)...

i think we're gonna pass on drafting a DT this year... i think we'll get (in no particular order):

2 WR's

DE

LB

S/CB (mainly for ST)

and then the best players available after that.

Archived