• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Players like Dave Canales' energy, appreciate his "consistency"

40 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

I re-read what I wrote above, and I’d like to clarify. I did not mean to say that he was let go because of his ethnicity. No way. No how. That was not my intention. Is T an obvious racist. Hell no. I’m not saying that at all. 

I tried to say that the look was just so bad. Here it is, the league, rightfully, wants more minority head coaches. Enough so to make a rule requiring the interview of minority candidates in an HC search. 

If race is important for you (it’s not for me. I don’t really know what the hell I am anyway) To see Steve, who embodies what the league says they want to see, pull off a damn miracle with this team, and not even get a shot… to get passed over for who was eventually hired? Like, y’all ditched Steve for this dude?   ‘what else do we have to do to get a shot’ could be a legitimate feeling for a lot of players. 

This is not an endorsement for Steve. I was a Steve guy, but that has sailed. I don’t pretend that he was taking us to the SB. But the way it all went down was such a bad look. 

Thanks for clarifying and I felt that but there was plenty of that talk when the deed was done. I agree with all of it except the hard quota stuff (which you did not endorse, it just a general opinion).

I think he deserved the consideration, 100%.  I also think I have to submit to the people making the argument about how could you let Mike Evans burn us three times for what was likely a division title.

I could not, in good faith, excuse that. That was a tough one because I think we needed leadership of the type he provided, and I do not personally elevate people to head coach consideration based primarily on x and o stuff. (which, it seems like everyone else is doing that).

All I knew was they gave him little in the secondary pretty much annually and he produced with it. He produced with the whole team once he was given it. 

Look at the W-L records of the people that preceded him under Tepper. Who among them won 6 in a full year or otherwise? Not a single person. 

And what did they do without him? Lol. 

Edited by strato

1 hour ago, strato said:

Thanks for clarifying and I felt that but there was plenty of that talk when the deed was done. I agree with all of it except the hard quota stuff (which you did not endorse, it just a general opinion).

I think he deserved the consideration, 100%.  I also think I have to submit to the people making the argument about how could you let Mike Evans burn us three times for what was likely a division title.

I could not, in good faith, excuse that. That was a tough one because I think we needed leadership of the type he provided, and I do not personally elevate people to head coach consideration based primarily on x and o stuff. (which, it seems like everyone else is doing that).

All I knew was they gave him little in the secondary pretty much annually and he produced with it. He produced with the whole team once he was given it. 

Look at the W-L records of the people that preceded him under Tepper. Who among them won 6 in a full year or otherwise? Not a single person. 

And what did they do without him? Lol. 

Thank you for seeing my point. I’m glad someone did. It really hurt to see Evans go full on Evans on us… but I feel like it was just so unjust to Steve.

Long in tooth or not, this was still Tom Brady to Mike Evans, (HOF’er to HOF’er) with the playoffs on the line. There aren’t many cover corners in the league stopping that connection, under those circumstances . It looked really ugly. It was, and as I watched it, I knew the unfair fate of Steve. Very few have ever been able to stop Tom under those circumstances. 

Sadly Steve’s fate was doomed from go, a specific instance was needed, and the owner chose to judge him off of Tom Brady to Mike Evans with playoffs on the line. I’m sure others saw it this way too. 

But yes, bad, bad look T. After ditching Steve, the ‘getting the band back together’ narrative was needed. He needed to hire someone with local roots. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Thank you for seeing my point. I’m glad someone did. It really hurt to see Evans go full on Evans on us… but I feel like it was just so unjust to Steve.

Long in tooth or not, this was still Tom Brady to Mike Evans, (HOF’er to HOF’er) with the playoffs on the line. There aren’t many cover corners in the league stopping that connection, under those circumstances . It looked really ugly. It was, and as I watched it, I knew the unfair fate of Steve. Very few have ever been able to stop Tom under those circumstances. 

Sadly Steve’s fate was doomed from go, a specific instance was needed, and the owner chose to judge him off of Tom Brady to Mike Evans with playoffs on the line. I’m sure others saw it this way too. 

But yes, bad, bad look T. After ditching Steve, the ‘getting the band back together’ narrative was needed. He needed to hire someone with local roots. 

Basically, it boils down to life isn’t fair and wtf can you do about it. It was the ammo people needed, and he was a long shot. 

I really hated it for him. 

edit: salt in the wound was it was his secondary falling short. And they suffered from lacking his full attention, I think. Had to have an effect. 

And Al Holcomb was supposed to handle adjusting that also.

oh, and the local roots thing. Yep he did but he meddled like hell with that too. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Not really sure if serious, and don’t really want to derail the convo, but I’ll say my diddy and move on. 

My family is Jamaican and mom is black, so, I dunno. Is it ok if I call myself half black or is that racist as well? 

Nah man I was just goofing. You don't have to explain yourself!