• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Players like Dave Canales' energy, appreciate his "consistency"

4 minutes ago, strato said:

It’s completely conceivable at this point to consider he may be working with a new QB next year. So like return to Go, start over. Only he’ll have a year into building a foundation.

That is not something that happens much with new coaches. They usually have to come in at the same time as the QB, in those situations. 

I can almost guarantee he will be working with a new QB next year.  Whether its here or elsewhere.  Almost 100%.  I'd put it at about 99%.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I really worry about some of y'all.  I really do.  

Here's where I am: we just had our first preseason game.  He's a rookie head coach.  Rome was not built in a day.  I'm going to suggest patience for all the fans out there.

We've had years of really terrible management.  Bad draft after bad draft.  FA signings that did nothing.  This team is hoping that we can find competitive players from UDFA and practice squad players.

Now, let's talk about Tepper.  He's got to know at this point that firing guys willy nilly is just stupid.  Sure, it's his billions to burn, but he wants more than anything to be a respected NFL owner.  He's failed.  Tepper is smart enough to know that he needs to step back and just be a big cheerleader.  He had enough issuges getting Canales.  Who in their right mind wants to work for the Panthers after seeing how much of a dumpster fireGetting drug into the day to day on a process that will take several years is not good for him or the team.

Let's be patient with the team.  Last night, Lutton looked a little better/in rhythm/on time than Plumber.  So there's that.  Canales has a LOT of work to do, and he knows it.  It's his job to lose, though he'll have a helluva golden parachute if Tepper cuts ties quickly.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, strato said:

You seriously think he could be gone after one year? I am betting no, despite the track record of ownership.  Something has to change and changing coaches has not worked. 

That would be ridiculous. No chance of it. I mean the entire org from top to bottom would have to be an absolute PR disaster for it to be in consideration. Canales should and will get 2 years minimum. You also need to let him draft and try to develop his own QB. Which by the way is what we should have been doing from jump street back in 2020. It is so frustrating the path we have gone down these last several years.

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Here's where I am: we just had our first preseason game.  He's a rookie head coach.  Rome was not built in a day.  I'm going to suggest patience for all the fans out there.

Rookie HC that also is calling plays (and is a green playcaller).....seems like he could use reps with Bryce in game day situations just as much as Bryce needed them. 

Hard to build Rome at all....if the plan is never a good one. 

• Pie 4

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Rookie HC that also is calling plays (and is a green playcaller).....seems like he could use reps with Bryce in game day situations just as much as Bryce needed them. 

Hard to build Rome at all....if the plan is never a good one. 

He could, no doubt. But there are still 19 chances for it, and we are not likely to miss the playoffs because Bryce Young missed a couple of series in preseason game 1. 

Perspective is good. I would bet if you take the total number of snaps in preseason from last year and compare them to this year, when it is said and done we can see what the numbers are. If he plays the next two weeks it won’t be that much difference, is my guess. 

• Pie 1

Yeah one and done is on the table, certainly not guaranteed though. This team is set up for another embarrassment and he is a big part of that. As for the fall out, well if that forces Tepper to take a huge step back and hire people to run the team for him and not through him then great. After this last draft I have seen nothing yet that makes me want to give anyone another shot at wasting another year. If this year goes how it looks so far then buckle up. Their are PSLs coming up for renewal (the 4 year option) after this season and a token 2nd year shot won't help those sales but better hiring sure could. 

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, frankw said:

That would be ridiculous. No chance of it. I mean the entire org from top to bottom would have to be an absolute PR disaster for it to be in consideration. Canales should and will get 2 years minimum. You also need to let him draft and try to develop his own QB. Which by the way is what we should have been doing from jump street back in 2020. It is so frustrating the path we have gone down these last several years.

Let’s revisit this in a few months.  Losing is a hell of a drug.

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, strato said:

You seriously think he could be gone after one year? I am betting no, despite the track record of ownership.  Something has to change and changing coaches has not worked. 

Anything is possible.  If he ends up being Frank Reich Jr, buckle up.

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

We've had years of really terrible management.  Bad draft after bad draft.  FA signings that did nothing.  This team is hoping that we can find competitive players from UDFA and practice squad players.

Now, let's talk about Tepper.  He's got to know at this point that firing guys willy nilly is just stupid.  Sure, it's his billions to burn, but he wants more than anything to be a respected NFL owner.  He's failed.  Tepper is smart enough to know that he needs to step back and just be a big cheerleader.  He had enough issuges getting Canales.  Who in their right mind wants to work for the Panthers after seeing how much of a dumpster fireGetting drug into the day to day on a process that will take several years is not good for him or the team.

Let's be patient with the team.  Last night, Lutton looked a little better/in rhythm/on time than Plumber.  So there's that.  Canales has a LOT of work to do, and he knows it.  It's his job to lose, though he'll have a helluva golden parachute if Tepper cuts ties quickly.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, but we can’t even build Gastonia

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

13 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Let’s revisit this in a few months.  Losing is a hell of a drug.

I didn't think they would fire Frank either in season but then it got worse. It can always get worse I guess. It's basically reality tv level BS these days. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

Anything is possible.  If he ends up being Frank Reich Jr, buckle up.

Sure, anything is possible. 

He just ain’t Frank though. You can find similarities I suppose but 1st, much younger. And fresh not burned out or close to burned out. Got more ahead of him than behind probably. So that’s something.

And we are certain that he knew 100% what his assignment was when he took the job, where I think Frank, as things unfolded, was surprised and overwhelmed by the size of the job given the time he had to put it together. 

Just a feeling and opinion.