• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Preseason week 1

11 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

https://x.com/nflrums/status/1824247647600882100?t=7YECyHuJ9nAEe_bCqmy5Ng&s=19

The team coming off back to back superbowls are making sure they hitting on all cylinders lol

This seems like the more reasonable strategically sound way to approach the season when you’re competing for trophies. It gives guys the indication we need to be ready game one day one. I understand the argument of different approaches but trying to go 14-3 takes playing every game like it’s extremely important to win. 

42 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You are missing the point. You can have success either way. McVay just won without doing it and he did it early in his career. It took Reid a while to get his first one. So by this logic (which I don’t agree with) if you do it Reid’s way you start winning Super Bowls after decades of being a head coach vs a couple years. The point is you can’t mimic one coach 100% and expect the same results. The logic is just flawed. Different situations for different teams.

I an not missing it I am disagreeing with it. Can you guys discuss without the condescending insinuation that the other party is basically brain dead to see what you're articulating?

Both sides of this debate want to be right but the one thing we should be able to agree on is the Panthers are not some consistent franchise that has a track record to dictate trends.

We do not compare to McVay or Sirianni or any of the teams with established winning coaches and established QB situations no matter how many times we want to say their names. Andy Reid might as well be in another universe compared to us.

Let's win this season opener and then start thumping our chests little by little. Until then this logic of hanging our hats on what other coaches are or aren't doing is just desperation from a franchise in the cellar.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

I an not missing it I am disagreeing with it. Can you guys discuss without the condescending insinuation that the other party is basically brain dead to see what you're articulating?

Both sides of this debate want to be right but the one thing we should be able to agree on is the Panthers are not some consistent franchise that has a track record to dictate trends.

We do not compare to McVay or Sirianni or any of the teams with established winning coaches and established QB situations no matter how many times we want to say their names. Andy Reid might as well be in another universe compared to us.

Let's win this season opener and then start thumping our chests little by little. Until then this logic of hanging our hats on what other coaches are or aren't doing is just desperation from a franchise in the cellar.

You response about listening to Reid as in doing what he is doing not on point as to what the other person was saying.  It's not condescending to say so.  Then you go to to imply there we are thumping our chests?  Stop trying to put people with different views than yours in a corner.  No one is thumping their chests or thinking we are going to be great.  Some people just don't think playing starters a few series in preseason is going to have much of an impact on our season.  I've already stated 6 wins would be a great year.  Going 3-0 or 0-3 in preseason doesn't really change how I think we will play this year. 

Again no one is comparing our coach to McVay or Siranni.  That's you trying to position people that think differently than you in a certain way again.  People are saying that their way appears to work as Reid's way does (who you implied we should be like, which is a form of comparison).  According to this argument we should not do what Reid is doing because we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to him as has been so much more successful.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You response about listening to Reid as in doing what he is doing not on point as to what the other person was saying.  It's not condescending to say so.  Then you go to to imply there we are thumping our chests?  Stop trying to put people with different views than yours in a corner.  No one is thumping their chests or thinking we are going to be great.  Some people just don't think playing starters a few series in preseason is going to have much of an impact on our season.  I've already stated 6 wins would be a great year.  Going 3-0 or 0-3 in preseason doesn't really change how I think we will play this year. 

Again no one is comparing our coach to McVay or Siranni.  That's you trying to position people that think differently than you in a certain way again.  People are saying that their way appears to work as Reid's way does (who you implied we should be like, which is a form of comparison).  According to this argument we should not do what Reid is doing because we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to him as has been so much more successful.

That's all this discussion has become is putting those with opposing views on a corner. To the point you have some folks trying to identify personality defects in those that differ from their views on the matter over disagreement.

You say you don't think playing starters in the preseason will have much of an impact. I accept that opinion. I respond to that opinion with the fact we had very tense back and forth arguments about details like this last year when our starters actually played in preseason and looked awful. The company line was it didn't matter it was all vanilla and things would uptick when the season started. Now nobody wants to discuss that anymore. Now the the line is we don't need to play starters in the preseason at all. I am very skeptical that is the solution to not only our pitiful win/loss % the last several years but our distinct lack of a team culture.

I'm in wait and see mode.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, frankw said:

That's all this discussion has become is putting those with opposing views on a corner. To the point you have some folks trying to identify personality defects in those that differ from their views on the matter over disagreement.

You say you don't think playing starters in the preseason will have much of an impact. I accept that opinion. I respond to that opinion with the fact we had very tense back and forth arguments about details like this last year when our starters actually played in preseason and looked awful. The company line was it didn't matter it was all vanilla and things would uptick when the season started. Now nobody wants to discuss that anymore. Now the the line is we don't need to play starters in the preseason at all. I am very skeptical that is the solution to not only our pitiful win/loss % the last several years but our distinct lack of a team culture.

I'm in wait and see mode.

I’ve had debates with several people on here about this. Both ways have seen success. None of these past debates have been remotely personal or turned to putting one side in a corner vs the other. There are ways to debate without it turning into that. 
If we play our starters I’d be fine with it. If we don’t I’m also fine with it. Again I don’t think having Bryce take more snaps in preseason last year changes the results. The last two games were worse than the first one. The reps weren’t the problem. It was just about everything else. 
Wait and see mode is more than fair. I’m just saying we are probably going to be not that great regardless. The debate we were making earlier is both ways have seen success as the previous coaches we mentioned have shown. So by that both ways can be successful. That’s all. I promise I’m not trying to flex over a practice just like I’m not getting all doom and gloom over one or a preseason game. 

49 minutes ago, trucpfan said:

This seems like the more reasonable strategically sound way to approach the season when you’re competing for trophies. It gives guys the indication we need to be ready game one day one. I understand the argument of different approaches but trying to go 14-3 takes playing every game like it’s extremely important to win. 

And if someone important gets hurt it’ll be the dumbest strategy ever according to everyone regardless of how they felt before hand.  That’s just how it goes. 

“HINDSIGHT IS 50/50”

Edited by CBDellinger
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

There are more than not. However there has been success with both. Plus we have teams playing starters at different times. It’s not like the old 4 game schedule where almost all teams did it the same way.

How would we feel if Bryce plays a lot of preseason and goes on IR? We might be rolling into the following year without any more answers and be in the same situation. Injuries affect us more than most teams as well because we have little to no depth at most positions. I definitely see both sides with our current situation.

This debate will just keep going in circles because both sides have valid points. 

That would suck, but I’d take another QB next year like Philip Rivers and Drew Brees.  I think the need to get some practice plays in a game outweighs the risk of injury in this situation.  We’re not winning anything.  I think everyone knows that.

But we can agree to disagree.  I don’t necessarily think it’s wrong.  It feels like this is the result of a rookie HC, and not necessarily some new wave of preseason philosophy.

• Pie 2

I'd like to see some starters in the final pre-season game. However, I am not going to plaster every thread griping about it for the weeks. It's really not that important to me either way.

15 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

That would suck, but I’d take another QB next year like Philip Rivers and Drew Brees.  I think the need to get some practice plays in a game outweighs the risk of injury in this situation.  We’re not winning anything.  I think everyone knows that.

But we can agree to disagree.  I don’t necessarily think it’s wrong.  It feels like this is the result of a rookie HC, and not necessarily some new wave of preseason philosophy.

I feel like we really aren't that far off in our thoughts on this.  

I think DC is trying to build his roster depth and work towards long term stability vs the extra reps for this season.  That plus trying to limit injuries.  I don't know if I 100% agree, but I understand it.

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I feel like we really aren't that far off in our thoughts on this.  

I think DC is trying to build his roster depth and work towards long term stability vs the extra reps for this season.  That plus trying to limit injuries.  I don't know if I 100% agree, but I understand it.

Nobody's gonna remember this at the end of the year.  It's just boring and there's nothing else to argue about.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I’ve had debates with several people on here about this. Both ways have seen success. None of these past debates have been remotely personal or turned to putting one side in a corner vs the other. There are ways to debate without it turning into that. 
If we play our starters I’d be fine with it. If we don’t I’m also fine with it. Again I don’t think having Bryce take more snaps in preseason last year changes the results. The last two games were worse than the first one. The reps weren’t the problem. It was just about everything else. 
Wait and see mode is more than fair. I’m just saying we are probably going to be not that great regardless. The debate we were making earlier is both ways have seen success as the previous coaches we mentioned have shown. So by that both ways can be successful. That’s all. I promise I’m not trying to flex over a practice just like I’m not getting all doom and gloom over one or a preseason game. 

It's good we can find common ground and agree. The end result we seek is the same minus one or two people who want to watch the world burn lol.

But just as you say the more likely outcome is incremental improvement. That's acceptable too. I just don't want to see anymore of our team getting the doors blown off or laboring to score boring field goals to the point our defense eventually stops giving maximum effort.

Hopefully in a few months we will all have the answer we seek. A competitive hard nosed football team and a competent offense.

Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I don't care if we only win 2 games, as long as the team looks like its headed in the right direction by the end of the season.  This season isn't about making a playoff push.  That would be a stretch goal.  This season is about getting on track.  I think the Dan Campbell Lions are a good example.

• Pie 1

The game changed with the schedule change. 

Some people make small adjustments to the original routine most everyone used. And maybe it keeps working fine for them.

Other people are thinking ‘what if’ and ‘hmm, this changes things ands I see something that might a better way to work it'.

It might turn out like New Coke, but it does seem to offer possible advantages to roster building.

The biggest negative is they will have people paying big money to watch tryouts. It sucked last week. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1