• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who impressed & who needs to get his ass cut (Preseason week 1)

38 minutes ago, strato said:

I said every year only for the purpose of illustrating the actual cost compared to what we actually did (annual carnage in that pursuit). The trade value reference: 15.4 for the 6th vs 1050 in the 1st. That’s nothing.

I think if you have a staff that can you can actually develop, why not keep trying to find QB talent? The salary alone is prohibitive to keeping an ordinary one for the long term. 

At the end of this day, isn’t worth all this typing we are not going to see this the same. 

I don't mind all the typing (I've been passing the time at work), I thought we were having a good productive discussion - if for nothing else, it was for @ForJimmy's entertainment so we could finally teach him a thing or two about football.  But no worries, I'm heading out of work anyways and I don't spend my weekends on the Huddle so this is my last reply regardless.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

You know who else flashed a lot?  Justin Fields, on his way to a 10-28 record as he was shipped off for a 6th round pick.  Like I already said, it was an encouraging first preseason game for Milton.  I just hear over and over and over from this board about "flashes" this and "flashes" that and it seems like that word is used to connotate exciting/wow plays, which I understand because this is supposed to be entertainment at the end of the day.  I also understand the frustration because Bryce gave us neither winning nor excitement last year.  I just think the whole "flashes" thing is so overplayed because obviously elite physical traits are going to naturally yield more flashes, and Milton is quick with a big arm.  I also think NFL coaches don't care as much about flashes as they do consistency - I think they'd rather have a boring but consistent QB like Brock Purdy or Dak to an extent, over someone who wows you one play and has you pulling your hair out the next.

It’s commonly brought up because it’s been a huge red flag.  Purdy and Dak have flashed high levels of talent at various points.  It’s really not a comparison.

Starting NFL QBs show starting NFL QB traits.  If they don’t, they’re not starting QBs for long.

13 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I don't mind all the typing (I've been passing the time at work), I thought we were having a good productive discussion - if for nothing else, it was for @ForJimmy's entertainment so we could finally teach him a thing or two about football.  But no worries, I'm heading out of work anyways and I don't spend my weekends on the Huddle so this is my last reply regardless.

Til Today I Learned GIF by Justin

Not all players who show flashes of talent end up being good.  But all good players have flashed at some point.  So that kind of illustrates the Venn diagram or whatever.

Just because Milton looked impressive for a couple plays doesn’t mean he’ll be any good.  It doesn’t even mean he’ll make a roster.

But, a player who has never looked impressive will never be good.  See TMJ and basically everyone else we’ve drafted after the first round.

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

TMJ gotta go. That's all I have to say in this thread.

That Man A Joke!

From the 'Best and Worst' weekly write up:

20. WR Terrace Marshall Jr.: 44.5
21. C Andrew Raym: 43.0
22. QB Jack Plummer: 39.2
23. WR Jonathan Mingo: 37.6
24. C Cade Mays: 33.7

Hmmm...two 2nd round WRs that can't even do sh*t against backups.

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, Icege said:

I have an energy drink and the game replaying because I've got a slow & short work day, missed large chunks of the game last night, and have an unhealthy obsession with Panthers' football.

Players that caught my eye during Q1: Cade Mays, Jordan Matthews, Alex Cooke, Lamar Jackson, Eku Leota, K'Lavon Chaisson, and Ja'Tavion Sanders 

Brady and Zalva played well I think.  The centers and tackles were abysmal.  Vijan on defense looked good too.  As far as offensive line goes Corbett, Hunt, Lewis, Moten, Icky, BC, Yosh are locks.  Honestly think we could see all pick-ups after cuts to replace everyone else.  The rest are not NFL worthy on this roster.

10 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

The more I think about it, the more I can kinda rationalize the approach of sitting virtually all the starters in Game 1.  The objective of the preseason is about two things IMO: preparing your team for the regular season with real in-game reps, and also properly evaluating your depth.  People wanted the former and are getting a heavy dose of the latter.  And I think it makes sense to heavily prioritize evaluating your depth in the first game so that you can adjust reps accordingly in the next two games, especially considering there are only three Preaseason games now.  Maybe you see someone who flashed in Game 1 and you want to give them more reps or even time with the starters in Game 2 and 3.  Maybe you saw someone who was flat out trash and you decide to reallocate their snaps to other bottom-of-the-roster guys to give them a chance instead.  All of that is better to sort out in Game 1 then to find yourself in Game 3 still feeling undecided about certain players and wishing you had distributed reps more effectively throughout the preseason.

Now that being said, if he truly ends up sitting Bryce (and/or a large number of starters) for the entirety of the preseason, then yeah I'll probably feel differently about it and it won't sit right with me.

Sitting all of the starters was the smart move.  With the weather and this early in the pre-season there was everything to lose and not much to gain.  I'm pretty sure DC and Morgan wanted to see how the younger group stepped up in a level of competition.  Bottom end of the roster is going to be a dog fight.

7 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I'd be a little cautious though.  They were playing against guys that might not make our team and our depth sucks.  Zappe should have picked them apart given his experience.  Milton hit a nice open WR with about 4 seconds in the pocket, he almost threw a pick 6 too.  I wouldn't be championing for their QBs so soon.  I would imagine Zappe is the odd man out and I'm not sure if he brings much to us as QB3.  A higher upside QB would make more sense.  The Pats QBs are just the Huddle's crush of the week.

Zappe would be a perfect pick up #3 QB.  Better pick up than Milton IMO

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

From the 'Best and Worst' weekly write up:

20. WR Terrace Marshall Jr.: 44.5
21. C Andrew Raym: 43.0
22. QB Jack Plummer: 39.2
23. WR Jonathan Mingo: 37.6
24. C Cade Mays: 33.7

Hmmm...two 2nd round WRs that can't even do sh*t against backups.

Mingo had 11 plays.  Marshall played 44% of the snaps.  I'm not worried about Mingo, #88 not so much.  If we can't pass block it's all a moot point.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He and Mingo both look like straight trash. I was holding out hope on Mingo because Smitty was high on him but nobody bats 1.000. They trash.

I don't have much hope, but at least Mingo is only 1 year in.  TMJ is utterly hopeless.  I would be shocked if he's on the 53 man roster.

10 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I don't have much hope, but at least Mingo is only 1 year in.  TMJ is utterly hopeless.  I would be shocked if he's on the 53 man roster.

Trash is trash. Mingo looked like trash [again] last night. When balls are on you and they're consistently hitting the ground, you trash. 

2 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I guess it really doesn't have to be complicated lol

I will give Mingo one more game on account of the rain and whatever else the fug was going on. The route was decent on that drop I think from the tv tape i guess?....