• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who impressed & who needs to get his ass cut (Preseason week 1)

My thought is that the defense looked really good overall. I mean it was the backup and the back up back ups for most the game - and they held tough on the Patriots starting line nicely. The only patriot score up till 4th Qtr came when the Pats started on the Panthers 30 yard line. And that was a great concentration catch by Bouette where the coverage was really tight. If that ball is any lower, it might have been a pick.

So lockdown coverage and run defense. Was really impressed.

Offense, man the two drops killed any Rhythm to start the game. Mingo's in particular was really bad. But the WR play was sloppy on both ends and I attribute a lot of that to that crazy downpour. I expect we'll see better WR play next week.  

On Offense, Jack Plummer really held the team back. He looked like an undrafted rookie from a middling team in college. He looked lost, held on to the ball forever, took a few just really bad sacks where he should have had the ball out. It was amazing when Luton, who has had 2 whole days to practice on the team, immediately looked more competent. I expect if Andy started that game, we would feel a lot differently. 

With all that said, I'm not to concerned after this game, if when they play a few more starters and more competent QB next week, we look the same, then I'll chalk it up as the lostest of lost seasons.

Edited by Jaxel
  • Pie 5

Just now, blackcat said:

Didn't watch the game, but Bryce and the starters need to be out there, period.  If Bryce gets hurts, who really cares who the back up is? 

I mean, I can almost guarantee if Andy Dalton, the actual back up QB was out there, we would have looked a world different. Jack was that lost the whole game.

10 hours ago, Captroop said:

Okay, that was like watching old people f***, I admit. But overall, I'm quite impressed with the defense. Evero showing once again why he is and should be a sought after HC candidate. He really can make chicken salad out of chicken poo. 

The offense looked as bad as I expected given that we inexplicably rested our starters. And the really sad part is I don't expect much improvement when they are on the field. 

It is a shame we will never see a good offense with this defense possibly. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I mean, I can almost guarantee if Andy Dalton, the actual back up QB was out there, we would have looked a world different. Jack was that lost the whole game.

I'm sure you're correct, Dalton is a much better QB than whoever played last night.  My point is that Bryce and the starters should be out there getting as many reps as they can.  

• Pie 1

I have an energy drink and the game replaying because I've got a slow & short work day, missed large chunks of the game last night, and have an unhealthy obsession with Panthers' football.

Players that caught my eye during Q1: Cade Mays, Jordan Matthews, Alex Cooke, Lamar Jackson, Eku Leota, K'Lavon Chaisson, and Ja'Tavion Sanders 

• Pie 2

It was so bad that Joe Person gave stock up to a guy that didn't even play lol 

OT Yosh Nijman

Diehard fans are likely the only ones familiar with Nijman, the former Packers lineman who helped himself Thursday without even stepping on the field. Nijman has yet to practice at training camp, having started the summer on the physically unable to perform list. So how did the 28-year-old make this list? Well, Nijman’s importance to the offense as the third tackle was magnified by the poor play of the two guys who started at tackle against the Patriots (more on them later). The sooner the 6-foot-7, 314-pound Nijman gets healthy, the better.
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I really can't believe the people who are judging the new coach and wanting to bring in a guy still on the streets after literally 1 preseason game.  

Can you really not believe it? 

• Pie 1

We looked like it was the first game of the preseason in a downpour and that we were the worst team in the NFL last season with a new head coach AND that we were sitting all of our starters.

In other words, that was slow and disappointing. A slop fest. A real showing of how there is no depth on the offensive line as of yet and that we had some very bad drafts over the past few years.

Maybe we can see something next game. Something. Anything. 

Please.

• Beer 2