• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would a "second year jump" look like for bryce young compared to his contemporaries

4 hours ago, electro's horse said:

Yeah I was thinking of including him but the Sean Mcvay factor is huge. I also didn’t include Jordan love for obvious reasons. 

bryce defenders, if there are any left, want to look to Trevor Lawrence for hope. Interesting that Lawrence went from a gimmicky coach with no NFL head coaching experience to an nfl veteran former QB who won a Super Bowl with the eagles. Bryce is doing the opposite. 

Comparing Reich as a HC to Peterson is a terrible comparison based on their success. Based on what we saw, it will be hard for Canales to be worse offensively, so we got that going for us.

I think this is a great topic though because it does set more realistic expectations.

I mean, I appreciate your trying to make it analytical, but, honestly, we'll know it when we see it. A "jump" is relative. He has to jump leaps and bounds before I'll be happy. Even if he makes a jump, but it doesn't measure up to the bare minimum of a franchise level QB, I just won't understand what we're doing here. I know that what a "franchise QB" is is a matter of definition, but I still believe we'll know it when we see it, and stats aren't going to give us that answer.

• Pie 5

Numbers aren't what we need to measure.  Bryce needs to look like a franchise QB.  He needs to consistently make the plays that are there to be made, and then a few times a game, he needs to make a "WOW!" play.

The stats and numbers will follow if he does that.  

• Pie 4

If he could look half as good as whoever ends up being the worst rookie QB this year, it would be a MAJOR step up from last year. So what is half as good as like Bo Nix? That’s the ceiling I am looking for in BY year 2. 

• Beer 2

On 8/9/2024 at 6:51 AM, NAS said:

You can’t use his horrible rookie season as baseline and consider a 2 TD increase to be a reasonable improvement.  Going from 11 to 13 TDs is not a jump. He better hit 18-20 or it’s a miserable fail.

There a couple of more things that MUST IMPROVE if the team wants to make significant strides forward in 2024.

The TD to interception ratio has to change this season. Bryce has 1 TD's and 10 INT's1. That's practically a 1:1 ratio. Since 2020, the league average is 2:1. BY would need to increase the # of TD passes by 9 for the 2023 INT level to be acceptable in today's NFL.

A good QB in modern NFL is going to average 250 yds. per game passing the football. Bryce averaged 179.8. He needs to pass increase his yards per game averaged by 70 yards per game if he is going to be a competent QB in 2024.

If he doesn't reach these goals by year 3 Carolina needs to decline the 5th year option and move on.

On 8/9/2024 at 11:02 AM, TD alt said:

I mean, I appreciate your trying to make it analytical, but, honestly, we'll know it when we see it. A "jump" is relative. He has to jump leaps and bounds before I'll be happy. Even if he makes a jump, but it doesn't measure up to the bare minimum of a franchise level QB, I just won't understand what we're doing here. I know that what a "franchise QB" is is a matter of definition, but I still believe we'll know it when we see it, and stats aren't going to give us that answer.

yeah some lipstick and makeup can massage stats into ‘hey baby, looking good’. Not enough for true love.

• Pie 1

On 8/9/2024 at 10:27 AM, 33inNC said:

Yea, but all of these guys actually have the physical talent to be an NFL QB. Bryce is too small and has no elite physical abilities to speak of. Even his "super processor" seems to not work in the NFL. 

Prove me wrong, Bryce. 

the problem with Bryce Young even if you fix his footwork & change the offense   he  still CANNOT throw the ball deep with accuracy CANNOT run the ball due to his size & speed & then more importantly to avoid the possible risk of injury CANNOT  operate the offense from under center due to his height nor step up in the pocket & deliver the ball at the last second while all at the same time taking a big hit in the process &  has a weak arm which in turn  decreases the amount of velocity on the ball making it easier for these elite defensive backs to get a read on the ball  

if Bryce Young throws for 300 plus yards against a defense this year well that will tell you 2 things ...

A) that team has a really bad secondary 

B) & an even worse defensive coordinator 

• Pie 3

On 8/12/2024 at 6:45 PM, bandu said:

the problem with Bryce Young even if you fix his footwork & change the offense   he  still CANNOT throw the ball deep with accuracy CANNOT run the ball due to his size & speed & then more importantly to avoid the possible risk of injury CANNOT  operate the offense from under center due to his height nor step up in the pocket & deliver the ball at the last second while all at the same time taking a big hit in the process &  has a weak arm which in turn  decreases the amount of velocity on the ball making it easier for these elite defensive backs to get a read on the ball  

if Bryce Young throws for 300 plus yards against a defense this year well that will tell you 2 things ...

A) that team has a really bad secondary 

B) & an even worse defensive coordinator 

This is accurate. Someone, please tell me, why did we give up so much for him when Stroud would have been the better pick?  Even still, we sold our future for this pick. 

On 8/8/2024 at 10:21 PM, X-Clown said:

Jared Goff would be one to aspire for.

Completion percentage Went up from 54.6 to 62.1 - +7.5%

TD percentage went from 2.4 to 5.9% - +3.3%

INT percentage down from 3.4 to 1.5% +1.9%

AYA went from 4.3 to 8.5% - +4.2%

I realize he only started 7 games his rookie year - but he was similarly awful. Of course it makes a huge difference going from whatever Jeff Fisher and friends were doing to Sean McVay.

Bryce has some huge concerns and needs to prove it this year. The Green Bay game showed he can play but then followed it up with 2 horrible performances. This tho, the Goff and Fisher rookie year, is why I’m willing to be completely open to a clean slate this year. I don’t think anyone can disagree Reich was a horrendous HC and nobody here stood a chance last year on offense. We will see 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, jb2288 said:

Bryce has some huge concerns and needs to prove it this year. The Green Bay game showed he can play but then followed it up with 2 horrible performances. This tho, the Goff and Fisher rookie year, is why I’m willing to be completely open to a clean slate this year. I don’t think anyone can disagree Reich was a horrendous HC and nobody here stood a chance last year on offense. We will see 

yeah well you want to talk about bad coaching & Joe Barry the former Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator  should definitely be on that list of bad coaches....just saying

9 hours ago, jb2288 said:

the Green Bay game wasn't even a good game.  It was just a good 4th quarter aided by penalties and a hurt GB team. 

Reich isn't horrendous.  Reich is average.  He was horrendous because he didn't have a functional QB to run his O.  Bryce isn't going to be able to run anything that resembles what Canales has been around in the NFL either. 

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

the Green Bay game wasn't even a good game.  It was just a good 4th quarter aided by penalties and a hurt GB team. 

Reich isn't horrendous.  Reich is average.  He was horrendous because he didn't have a functional QB to run his O.  Bryce isn't going to be able to run anything that resembles what Canales has been around in the NFL either. 

I am pretty sure Thomas Brown was the one calling the plays  in that Green Bay game last year & Reich had already been fired at that point in time

• Pie 1