• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers vs Pats 7pm

12 minutes ago, strato said:

No one wants to watch horrible football. Especially when it’s your team making it bad football. There was like, ZERO payoff for us really.

It was Christmas morning last night, and even though we were pretty sure what to expect; we were getting socks like we do most Christmases, we had disappointment when we opened presents. Even the socks were crappy. 

It is Devil’s advocate time, time to bright side this poo: The strategy of playing your depth might actually be smart. Things happen in game situations that you don’t see in practices, all day. 

You find who you want to focus on right away, have more time to form your decisions, might be a more efficient way of looking at finalizing a roster.

And your starters stay healthy for the week of Jets scrimmages and will have the chance to gauge their progress. 

The current trend with only three preseason games instead of four is that the third is still the dress rehearsal for the starters. That means those fighting for roster spots aren't going to have the on-field time they used to have at the end of preseason to make their case. Yesterday was probably their best shot and suffice it to say, most aren't making the cut. Of course, that's going to be the case regardless because we can only keep 55. 

• Beer 2

13 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

Loved it when smitty made the comment about 2 minutes till the half  something to the effect -  " we got some great halftime highlights for you"  .  I about fell out of my chair laughing.

I missed that.  It really requires a lot of discipline to watch this offense.  In case we did not see enough "three and outs" last year, we are going to put in an undrafted, rookie, third string (for now) confused QB for over 3 quarters to trigger all kinds of nostalgic flashbacks, including unforced fumbles, pre-snap penalties, and my favorite, multiple dropped passes by high-paid professional athletes whose only job is to catch the football when it is thrown to them.  As bad as it made me feel, at least we could see them laughing about it on the sidelines.  I admire Canales positivity, but it is time to make some moves. 

Leota played a good game---held the edge and pressured the passer.  Matthews caught about 3 balls and he was pumped and focused while everyone else seemed numb. I'd keep Coker if cuts were tomorrow and I might cut TMJ.   Nobody should be paid to suck legally.

I think they wanted to see if Plummer is the answer at Qb3 (PS) and that answer is "no."  The Pats are going to cut Zappe and we will have first crack at him.  I think we should pick him up at that time.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think they wanted to see if Plummer is the answer at Qb3 (PS) and that answer is "no."  The Pats are going to cut Zappe and we will have first crack at him.  I think we should pick him up at that time.

It didn't require 3.5 quarters to figure that out.  That was brutal.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It didn't require 3.5 quarters to figure that out.  That was brutal.

If I’m guessing, maybe they wanted to see him against the Pats backups and 3rd stringers?? Plus Luton was signed a few days ago. Probably still learning the playbook. 

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If I’m guessing, maybe they wanted to see him against the Pats backups and 3rd stringers?? Plus Luton was signed a few days ago. Probably still learning the playbook. 

He's just the cannon fodder.  They decided to shelter Bryce and Andy is hurt.  There's no evaluation going on at the QB position here.  They made no attempt to make that position better.  He was a warm body to play the game last night.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

He's just the cannon fodder.  They decided to shelter Bryce and Andy is hurt.  There's no evaluation going on at the QB position here.  They made no attempt to make that position better.  He was a warm body to play the game last night.

I mean no starters played aside from Dane Jackson and maybe DJ Johnson? Are we sheltering AT, Johnson, Chuba, Clowney, Horn, Brown and all of the other starters (I think it was over 30) that sat out? If we played all our starters but Bryce then maybe that argument makes more sense.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean no starters played aside from Dane Jackson and maybe DJ Johnson? Are we sheltering AT, Johnson, Chuba, Clowney, Horn, Brown and all of the other starters (I think it was over 30) that sat out? If we played all our starters but Bryce then maybe that argument makes more sense.

So it comes out earlier in the week that Bryce won't play, and then on game day we find out its 30 people?  If that was the case, why not say that earlier in the week?  Why not say well actually most of the starters won't play week 1, so its not special for Bryce.  That wasn't brought up at all?  Are we using deception in the preseason?  Wouldn't you want to match the other team a little bit, so you can get something productive out of the game?  It feels like they decided to hold everyone out because they were scared of how bad the performance would be.  This is just an odd situation, and indicative of an inexperienced coach.

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

So it comes out earlier in the week that Bryce won't play, and then on game day we find out its 30 people?  If that was the case, why not say that earlier in the week?  Why not say well actually most of the starters won't play week 1, so its not special for Bryce.  That wasn't brought up at all?  Are we using deception in the preseason?  Wouldn't you want to match the other team a little bit, so you can get something productive out of the game?  It feels like they decided to hold everyone out because they were scared of how bad the performance would be.  This is just an odd situation, and indicative of an inexperienced coach.

He mentioned counting on certain guys and limiting injuries.  That's saying 2 things.  One the starters probably aren't playing and two our depth is not very good.  There really isn't much deception knowing QB1 won't play and QB2 is hurt.  QB3 was going to play most of this game and it was no secret.  Imagine Plummer throwing a hospital ball for Johnson in this game and him getting hurt.  I'm hoping/guessing we see the starters for some series in game 3 when the OL is a little more stable and needing time to gel.  

I mean we all know Bryce is going to play this year.  It doesn't make sense for DC to be scared to play him in a preseason game because he knows how bad he will look.  Everyone is going to see him during the regular season when defenses will play all of their starters and have 100%% of their playbook opened up.  

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Also if its about evaluation.  Why are we so concerned with evaluating the worst guys on the worst roster in the NFL?  So much that we don't find it useful to practice with our actual players.

To see if they make the team or get replaced/cut when teams start trimming down their roster.  A lot of the guys last night didn't play much last year or weren't on the roster.  He seems to be concerned about out depth and rightfully so. Here is how he answered it.  The bad news is (maybe it's just coach speak) he is talking about going over the film with Plummer like we are keeping him around...

Q: Dave, obviously, not playing your starters was a conscious decision. How do you evaluate the game as a whole knowing you kind of went in shorthanded that way?

DC: Oh, I think just valuable reps, right? For these guys, the opportunity to play this many snaps in a preseason game for the guys that were up for this game, it's invaluable. Jack Plummer getting out there; he had a rough night but it was just such – it's his first NFL game, and hopefully, we'll get to the point where we can show him the film and just kind of show him, 'Hey man, trust your preparation, trust your timing from practice,' and just to stay composed as the game goes along. He was able to put a good drive together, but then we had the grounding penalty that kind of kicked us out of that advantageous field position that we had. So, I just love the opportunity it gives for a lot of the guys for us to evaluate them.