• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers vs Pats 7pm

1 minute ago, Martin said:

Obviously you need good players for success, nobody disputes that. However, I think Carroll was a massive reason for their success. 

It’s like when John Fox would be shown clapping after a fumble and people would lose it.  We don’t really know what goes on if we’re not in the locker room.  But yeah I was just alarmed by the vibe of game 1.  Even though it’s just preseason, I would expect to see guys that care about doing well when they’re out there.  A lot of these guys are fighting for a roster spot, but they’re dropping balls and cutting up and whatever.  It’s puzzling.

Hopefully it’s just a bump and they’ll figure it out.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It’s like when John Fox would be shown clapping after a fumble and people would lose it.  We don’t really know what goes on if we’re not in the locker room.  But yeah I was just alarmed by the vibe of game 1.  Even though it’s just preseason, I would expect to see guys that care about doing well when they’re out there.  A lot of these guys are fighting for a roster spot, but they’re dropping balls and cutting up and whatever.  It’s puzzling.

Hopefully it’s just a bump and they’ll figure it out.

Again, for me I think we will find out a ton about this team after the jets practice/game.   It was the turning point last year for a lot of us.  A lot of "wait, did that just really happen" moments from that session. 

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Again, for me I think we will find out a ton about this team after the jets practice/game.   It was the turning point last year for a lot of us.  A lot of "wait, did that just really happen" moments from that session. 

I don’t expect much of a turning point performance wise, tbh I expect us to be quite bad on offense lol. But I expect us to start turning in the right direction, see some progress, and then draft a new QB next year with some good things in place for that QB to succeed. Hopefully I’m completely wrong and we somehow look good with Bryce at the helm.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Martin said:

I don’t expect much of a turning point performance wise, tbh I expect us to be quite bad on offense lol. But I expect us to start turning in the right direction, see some progress, and then draft a new QB next year with some good things in place for that QB to succeed. Hopefully I’m completely wrong and we somehow look good with Bryce at the helm.

I'm speaking more about the offense and really about the line.  

• Pie 1

I remember Canales saying he could get more work or learn more, I forget the words but the point was he has pointed towards the scrimmage part as being maybe ahead of the actual game in importance. 

After what I heard happened last year it has been on the radar.

2 hours ago, Martin said:

He comes from Seattle/Carroll and they were all about positivity while being extremely successful. Not saying it will work, but also not dismissing the style. The thinking that a HC has to be an asshole is, in my mind, a thing of the past. As an example, Reid and Harbaugh are extremely well liked by their teams, they are positive and good guys who knows when to put their foot down and have built a great culture.

Dismissing Canales after one pre season game where he was happy that our defense looked good (I thought it looked good as well) and didn’t chew out offensive practice squad players and backups is a stretch in my mind. But as I usually say, it’s ok to disagree on these things. 

I went really long. Manifesto style. Again. If anyone no likey, then whatever. I’ve tried to divorce my feelings on this team but it’s real hard. 

Carrol was a great coach in his own right, but he hit the mega millions jackpot with that roster. Beast  mode. Wilson. The entire LOB. He had a squad of DUDES that didn’t get ready. They STAYED ready. Even in life, people who have the ability and fire to bring it every minute of every single day, needing no external motivation… extremely rare. That squad was full of DUDES who at any moment could completely take the game over. Complete GAMERS. Need a turnover. Boom. Need 35 yards in 14 seconds for a 45 yd FG in the 4th. Cakewalk. Had 2 timeouts? Only needed 1.  Aside from some of the recent SF squads and Randy Moss Patriots, I can’t think of any other team since them to have such a complete roster from top to bottom. 

HC doesn’t need to be an a hole. As a matter of fact, he’ll probably get tuned out even more. He can’t be. Gruden in TB had a very early expiration date after their SB.People lose respect really quickly for douches. I bet he still has Kris Jenkins nightmares. 

I have yet to hear of a single expectation for this offense. It has not one. Not a single one. They have wants. I hear plenty of wants. They played like there wasn’t a single expectation of them. No true goal or objective. Let’s just play to play.

I can tell you what the defense wanted to do from the first possession. Clog the middle, stop the run at the point of contact, swarm, stay focused, don’t give up big runs, tackle with solid fundamentals. as a very pleasant surprise the secondary were in receivers back pockets and I don’t think I saw a single completely busted coverage, but I’m sure there were. There were very few occasions where it took more that 2 defenders to get somebody down. Evero will go down as another McDermott. 

I 100% admit and acknowledge that I’m being completely unfair after seeing 1 preseason game, but the overall look on offense was just so bad. I’m probably way too high on the defense, but they played like they had some level of respect for their coach and themselves.

Ok suck then. Fine. We all knew they would. But to suck, half ass and then laugh about it while appearing completely disinterested? Where was Bryce going over and telling them to squash that noise and pay attention? It’s really hard to fade that look as a fan.

The defense is full of dudes with even less raw talent overall than the O. I know offense always lags the D in the preseason, but not like that. Most of the dudes on D looked like guys who are legit backups or fringe starters on other teams. For what they were, my lord they looked good. Evero is going to make a heck of an HC. Offense looked like hungover fringe practice squad scrubs. Same unwatchable bs. 

There is still hope for the O, but it’s going to have to come from guys in the locker room letting them know that this is not acceptable.

If Bryce were interested in the role it would be obvious by now. Does anybody TRULY know what he did in the offseason to REALLY improve on his weaknesses? I’ve seen the ‘worked on some stuff’ articles, but the ‘I just needed to clear my head, bro’ vibe I’ve had is hard to shake. Where’s the ‘dayum, homie ain’t playing this season’ articles every fan deserved to see. 

Again, I 100% accept that I’m very likely being completely unfair and hope I’m embarrassingly and utterly wrong about this O, but Thursday felt like finally meeting the person you met online….  where your rightful skepticism was again confirmed…. And you went home to your Bangkok Pro machine. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan