• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers vs Pats 7pm

2 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It didn't require 3.5 quarters to figure that out.  That was brutal.

With the injury to QB2 and the limited playbook of QB4 and the fact QB1 was not dressed, that may not have been a strategy.

Just now, MHS831 said:

With the injury to QB2 and the limited playbook of QB4 and the fact QB1 was not dressed, that may not have been a strategy.

Understood, but Luton could run 2 plays better than Plummer could run any of them.  Bad roster construction.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Understood, but Luton could run 2 plays better than Plummer could run any of them.  Bad roster construction.

The thing that bothered me about Plummer--I saw no leadership, no fire, no sense of urgency.  It was like watching a Greatful Deadhead walk home from a party. And he made stupid decisions under pressure--any qb knows "get rid of the ball" when under pressure.  Flipping the ball to Smith Marsette on the sweep from 2 feet away was dumb.  He was slow getting to the handoff spot--you keep the ball and follow the runner and get what you can.  He is going to be cut very soon.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The thing that bothered me about Plummer--I saw no leadership, no fire, no sense of urgency.  It was like watching a Greatful Deadhead walk home from a party. And he made stupid decisions under pressure--any qb knows "get rid of the ball" when under pressure.  Flipping the ball to Smith Marsette on the sweep from 2 feet away was dumb.  He was slow getting to the handoff spot--you keep the ball and follow the runner and get what you can.  He is going to be cut very soon.

He's just a 6'5 body.  He really didn't show anything that would make you want to even stash him on the PS.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

2. Building the roster from the bottom up.  Remember, we have first choice on the waiver wire.  We need to know what our bottom 40 players look like.  Building depth is very important because injuries are going to happen. Coaches need to watch film to identify and prioritize our weaknesses.  We also need to pay attention to players on other rosters who are likely to be waived in a few weeks.  Zappe, for example, is likely to be waived by New England--we have film on him. If we can find a "gamer" on the roster, it could help.  I know guys who were weak or average in practice but in games, they were incredible.  One became an all-pro for the Eagles, and my first impression was "how did he get a scholarship?"  Got my answer.

I talked about that too. There are for sure practice players, and guys who are not practice players but turn the recording light on and they get focused differently. 

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

It had virgin on prom night vibes 100%. 

Long read. 

Getting back to this and what you said earlier… the laughing. The ** laughing (I’ve really tried to stop swearing). These losers haven’t earned the right to laugh. Fire? Dawgs? It comes from the top. Think Tomlin’s players would laugh in similar circumstances? Belicheck? Harbaugh? ….. Wilks? 

So far, no Dawgs, Dan. I want so badly to be wrong, and I really do like Canales, but this team is not ready for a rah rah, we’ll get em with some gumption and try harder, next time guys. This team needs discipline and accountability. We need a “messing up is not ok because there is no next time.” Problem is, that kind of leadership is not the yes man type. Yes, we’re lacking talent, but this team’s bigger issue is attitude. Is Canales a good dawg trainer, or a just a groomer? Does he have the sack to get in a grown ass man’s face and tell him what’s up when he’s screwing up or half assing? 

We’re the 1998 Honda Accord that’s been parked on under a crape myrtle for 10 years. We need some cutting compound on a 6” orbital buffer with a wool pad. Canales, I fear, is polishing compound. Needed, eventually, but just not right now. 

To me, it wasn’t about the results, really. It was how it looked. Defense had heart last night. They stopped the run, mostly, and broke up a lot of passing attempts. Form tackles. They swarmed. Runs didn’t go for 8 more yards after initial contact. Rushers were getting there, almost. But I do see that actually improving with more time. This is an overall attitude that creates turnovers. They moved with purpose. Inside screens continue to haunt us to this day, but that’s just Panther tradition dating back to the Brees era. 

The gulf between offense and defense is immense. The offense looked completely lost, like they’ve never practiced a single play and pretty much unwatchable. Just like last year. All I wanted to see was a set your feet laser over the middle 25 yd attempt. Just an attempt. A try. Nope. I miss it so damn bad. It was dink Bryce ball, only worse. Yup, just keep on laughing. 

Flame away and tell me where I’m wrong. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Pie 3

I’ve paid for NFL Sunday ticket for 14 straight years. I just don’t know this year. Probably will again. That whole self loathing thing. I swear this team has a winning allergy.

Maybe I’ll just invent a machine that kicks you in the nuts 18 times instead. Call it the Bangkok. Sell it for $349. It’ll let you select individual players which will in turn determine how bad things are about to go for you. If you turn it to the owner setting, a combat boot filled with concrete will be your fate, but that feature is only available on the Bangkok Pro version. it plays concert music from different popular artists. It also lets you plug in dates for monumental demoralizing franchise losses. Mike Vick levitating. Julio going off for 300 (that was a great one to see in person). PJ to Dj on the Moore Miracle catch (that place got quiet as a church). 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, Gapanthersfan said:

It had virgin on prom night vibes 100%. 

Long read. 

Getting back to this and what you said earlier… the laughing. The ** laughing (I’ve really tried to stop swearing). These losers haven’t earned the right to laugh. Fire? Dawgs? It comes from the top. Think Tomlin’s players would laugh in similar circumstances? Belicheck? Harbaugh? ….. Wilks? 

So far, no Dawgs, Dan. I want so badly to be wrong, and I really do like Canales, but this team is not ready for a rah rah, we’ll get em with some gumption and try harder, next time guys. This team needs discipline and accountability. We need a “messing up is not ok because there is no next time.” Problem is, that kind of leadership is not the yes man type. Yes, we’re lacking talent, but this team’s bigger issue is attitude. Is Canales a good dawg trainer, or a just a groomer? Does he have the sack to get in a grown ass man’s face and tell him what’s up when he’s screwing up or half assing? 

We’re the 1998 Honda Accord that’s been parked on under a crape myrtle for 10 years. We need some cutting compound on a 6” orbital buffer with a wool pad. Canales, I fear, is polishing compound. Needed, eventually, but just not right now. 

To me, it wasn’t about the results, really. It was how it looked. Defense had heart last night. They stopped the run, mostly, and broke up a lot of passing attempts. Form tackles. They swarmed. Runs didn’t go for 8 more yards after initial contact. Rushers were getting there, almost. But I do see that actually improving with more time. This is an overall attitude that creates turnovers. They moved with purpose. Inside screens continue to haunt us to this day, but that’s just Panther tradition dating back to the Brees era. 

The gulf between offense and defense is immense. The offense looked completely lost, like they’ve never practiced a single play and pretty much unwatchable. Just like last year. All I wanted to see was a set your feet laser over the middle 25 yd attempt. Just an attempt. A try. Nope. I miss it so damn bad. It was dink Bryce ball, only worse. Yup, just keep on laughing. 

I think you’re really onto it here.  We really lack veteran leadership.  I said it elsewhere but Pete Carrol had veterans to keep players accountable while he was in Seattle.  It’s almost like a good cop bad cop dynamic.

I don’t know that we have the leaders for that kind of coaching.

Pete, Belicheck and Reid are proven winners. Canales hasn’t proven a damn thing. He could be the next Pete, who knows. The words of the aforementioned 3 carry much more power than Canales at this point in time. Young coach on a young team may not be such a good combination. Perhaps discipline and direction needed to have come before detail. 

If the D does what I think it can do this season, Evero is as good as gone. I think he wanted 1 more year as DC here before signing up to be a head coach somewhere. This is his figurative contract year. I’m sure he wants out. And he’s going to be good. 

Did y’all see the focus and energy our second, third and fourth string d players played with? If Evero can get his 3rd and 4th stringers to look like that… then where Canales at? Evero doesn’t strike me as the ‘it’s ok, it’ll be better next time’ type of guy. Results. 

Top 10 D this year? That’s a big reach, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see it. They’re still going to give up a lot of big plays and will take their share of grandma whoppins (don’t get grandma so mad that she has to put hands on you), but at least they won’t be laughing about it. 

14 hours ago, Gapanthersfan said:

On point. Look how many DAWGS we had on that superbowl team. Cam, Luke, TD, Norman, Stewart, Olsen, Kalil, Norwell, Short. Dudes that wouldn't settle for sh*t like this. You think Cam would have allowed seeing his WR's smiling after dropping two passes? HELL NO.

Like seriously, who are the dogs on this team? I can think of maybe two......Shaq and Derrick Brown. That's literally it. Tepper created this atmosphere. He came in and instantly neutered the attitude this franchise used to represent. I remember a time when we were like on our 5th RB with Nick Goings and STILL competing. Still trying and giving a damn. Fighting. Showing heart. I also think that was the year we started 1-7 and STILL almost rallied back to make the postseason, with injuries EVERYWHERE that year. That's all we want to see, not two sorry ass WRs laughing on the sideline because they dropped two passes. Dude's who were both drafted in the 2nd round mind you. Tepper has officially put his "stamp" on the football side of things. This team has taken on his image and attitude. All the way from the GM to the players.

• Pie 1