• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers vs Pats 7pm

48 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If I’m guessing, maybe they wanted to see him against the Pats backups and 3rd stringers?? Plus Luton was signed a few days ago. Probably still learning the playbook. 

He aint ever playing in the nfl without correcting his throwing motion.  It takes entirely too long for him to throw the ball.  I suspect his long arms make this impossible

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

To see if they make the team or get replaced/cut when teams start trimming down their roster.  A lot of the guys last night didn't play much last year or weren't on the roster.  He seems to be concerned about out depth and rightfully so. Here is how he answered it.  The bad news is (maybe it's just coach speak) he is talking about going over the film with Plummer like we are keeping him around...

Q: Dave, obviously, not playing your starters was a conscious decision. How do you evaluate the game as a whole knowing you kind of went in shorthanded that way?

DC: Oh, I think just valuable reps, right? For these guys, the opportunity to play this many snaps in a preseason game for the guys that were up for this game, it's invaluable. Jack Plummer getting out there; he had a rough night but it was just such – it's his first NFL game, and hopefully, we'll get to the point where we can show him the film and just kind of show him, 'Hey man, trust your preparation, trust your timing from practice,' and just to stay composed as the game goes along. He was able to put a good drive together, but then we had the grounding penalty that kind of kicked us out of that advantageous field position that we had. So, I just love the opportunity it gives for a lot of the guys for us to evaluate them.

His demeanor is going to be really interesting if we are sitting at 2-9 or whatever

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He aint ever playing in the nfl without correcting his throwing motion.  It takes entirely too long for him to throw the ball.  I suspect his long arms make this impossible

Nothing that I saw last night shows otherwise.  Also he was incredible slow with his progressions.  I felt like it took him a good 2 seconds to throw at it wide open check down one play. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Nothing that I saw last night shows otherwise.  Also he was incredible slow with his progressions.  I felt like it took him a good 2 seconds to throw at it wide open check down one play. 

I think I said on here last night its a suped up version of Kerry Collins.   Just slow

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

His demeanor is going to be really interesting if we are sitting at 2-9 or whatever

Yeah it's hard to keep the positive energy when the losses are piling up.  Hopefully we get some wins early and the players start feeding off his energy.  

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah it's hard to keep the positive energy when the losses are piling up.  Hopefully we get some wins early and the players start feeding off his energy.  

The first 10ish games are pretty winnable with the exception of Cincy and maybe atl, if we are not sitting at or around 4 wins or so then something has gone wrong and the back half of the schedule is brutal

34 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The first 10ish games are pretty winnable with the exception of Cincy and maybe atl, if we are not sitting at or around 4 wins or so then something has gone wrong and the back half of the schedule is brutal

We just lost 17-3 against the other worst team in the league although it was preseason......none of our games look winnable right now....

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

7 first downs and 3 points was expected? 

Maybe it was just me, but with a QB as bad as Plummer starting while resting the whole starting offense, I can’t say I was surprised one bit.

• Beer 2

There is not much you can say.  However, to those who are critical about not playing the starters, not saying that I disagree with you, but here are some possible reasons.

1. Injury--maybe not this game, but at the end of a 12-game season in college, and I did not play much more than anyone else, you run down.  We had something like 10 ice tubs, and they were rarely filled early in the season.  By the end of the season, you had to show up early and schedule a time.   The 100 man roster was down to about 75 players for the final game--college is not as violent as the pros and they play 20 games excluding the playoffs.  I do not know how they do it.

2. Building the roster from the bottom up.  Remember, we have first choice on the waiver wire.  We need to know what our bottom 40 players look like.  Building depth is very important because injuries are going to happen. Coaches need to watch film to identify and prioritize our weaknesses.  We also need to pay attention to players on other rosters who are likely to be waived in a few weeks.  Zappe, for example, is likely to be waived by New England--we have film on him. If we can find a "gamer" on the roster, it could help.  I know guys who were weak or average in practice but in games, they were incredible.  One became an all-pro for the Eagles, and my first impression was "how did he get a scholarship?"  Got my answer.

3.  The weather.  In the rain, groins are much more likely to be pulled.  People tend to slide and lose their balance/centers of gravity.  When that happens you lose your technique, and that leads to injury.

4. Morale.  If the starting OL has not played together, it would be demoralizing to see them struggle against a second unit.  Canales is a cerebral, emotional coach who feeds on positivity.  Maybe he felt putting them in position to fail (based on their lack of time to gel in practice) would not be beneficial.

Edited by MHS831

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think I said on here last night its a suped up version of Kerry Collins.   Just slow

Suped up?  Maybe he's wish.com Kerry Collins.  Come on man.  Kerry wasn't nearly that bad.  Especially after he quit being an alcoholic and played for the Giants.

In the early 2000's era, a pocket statue was completely viable.

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Suped up?  Maybe he's wish.com Kerry Collins.  Come on man.  Kerry wasn't nearly that bad.  Especially after he quit being an alcoholic and played for the Giants.

In the early 2000's era, a pocket statue was completely viable.

I meant his motion

• Pie 1