• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Know Your Foe: New England Patriots 

1 hour ago, Icege said:

If the play call is to make his progressions and he skips to the ones that makes the biggest play as you suggested then that is not what the coaches called.

His first job is to execute the offense and he's not doing that if he's immediately looking to the go routes that are designed to clear a defender for the passing concept designed on the play. He would not be giving the staff the ability to evaluate the rest of the talent on the roster because he'd be too busy looking out for himself if doing what you suggested.

If fans want to be entertained by the play calling, they should check out Fan Controlled Football (FCF) instead of gaslighting themselves by demanding that an NFL team calls the plays that they want. I'd hate to be QB3 in a locker room where I wasn't getting my teammates the looks that were called for them in preseason. Especially if that was because I was too busy looking out for myself and throwing it on the deepest route every play, progressions be damned.

yeah, but if you got some real wiggle room there.  It's not like you are calling your own plays and completely ignoring the coach.  That would get you cut automatically.   But you gave me the play.  I ran it.  X looked open.  I didn't like how Y looked   That happens all the time in football.   It's an audition for him.  A chance. 

Panthers have been forced into starting him tonight for some unknown reason.  That's not his problem.  Why shouldn't he take advantage of the opportunity. 

I want to be entertained by the play of Panthers.  That's literally what this whole thing is.  Entertainment. Nothing else.  They provide little of that.  So yeah, I would prefer entertainment tonight.  I'll route for that.   And Canales isn't going to entertain us with amazing play calling.  That's a given.  So big plays by nobodies is what I'll root for.  That's there shot.  It doesn't matter how well Plummer runs some bullshit play to a WR that isn't going to make the team that goes for 4 yards and they punt. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, but if you got some real wiggle room there.  It's not like you are calling your own plays and completely ignoring the coach.  That would get you cut automatically.   But you gave me the play.  I ran it.  X looked open.  I didn't like how Y looked   That happens all the time in football.   It's an audition for him.  A chance. 

Panthers have been forced into starting him tonight for some unknown reason.  That's not his problem.  Why shouldn't he take advantage of the opportunity. 

I want to be entertained by the play of Panthers.  That's literally what this whole thing is.  Entertainment. Nothing else.  They provide little of that.  So yeah, I would prefer entertainment tonight.  I'll route for that.   And Canales isn't going to entertain us with amazing play calling.  That's a given.  So big plays by nobodies is what I'll root for.  That's there shot.  It doesn't matter how well Plummer runs some bullshit play to a WR that isn't going to make the team that goes for 4 yards and they punt. 

Oh absolutely! If he's got wiggle room to make the call (and can reasonably justify it based on pre/post snap reads), take the shots ALL day.

But to go out there, see the field, and still make the decision to immediately target the big play out of rhythm for the simple reason of trying to make himself look like he deserves a roster spot as it was worded... that'd be no bueno imo.

Edited by Icege

8 minutes ago, Icege said:

Oh absolutely! If he's got wiggle room to make the call (and can reasonably justify it based on pre/post snap reads), take the shots ALL day.

But to go out there, see the field, and still make the decision to immediately target the big play out of rhythm for the simple reason of trying to make himself look like he deserves a roster spot as it was worded... that'd be no bueno imo.

I endorse it for this kid.  you then go BS your coach about what you saw. 

I'm not saying just go throw into double coverage just because a vertical existed in the progression.  But yeah, I'd be putting an emphasis on being aggressive and trying to get to the plays with bigger potential.  

It's basically just the polar opposite of playing it safe.  You can play it safe and it be the wrong play too.  Just nothing completions for the stat sheet.  That's not going to help this kid. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, strato said:

Actually I think he CAN help himself going 8 for whatever for low yards, if he looks good doing it. No picks, smart decisions, good ball placement and velocity... people that know will see.

There's no reason to carry him on a roster if he doesn't show something.  He's nobody.  Anybody can dump the ball off against backups and guys who wont make the team.

43 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

There's no reason to carry him on a roster if he doesn't show something.  He's nobody.  Anybody can dump the ball off against backups and guys who wont make the team.

I saw a little of him, and don’t have any real expectations. But were he to shine he would not be a nobody to some people.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, strato said:

I saw a little of him, and don’t have any real expectations. But were he to shine he would not be a nobody to some people.

Beggars can't be chosers. Plummer has a chance to win a backup spot if he has it in him. If not here then somewhere else. These games matter for guys trying to make a roster. Instead of game 3 in preseason they get game 1. If they do well enough they could earn more time in the next game. That appears to be what's going on.

• Pie 2

I don’t know about Canales, but it has been my impression that they do not want clear competition for QB1.

So if for some reason he looks good, I think he will be somewhere else before long.

Which, I am fine with in the sense that we have a staff that is supposed to be good with QBs I’ve fantasized about becoming a QB mill and turning them into assets. Ala the Pats 10 years ago. 

We’ll have to have our sure starter for that to really work. 

• Pie 1