• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Know Your Foe: New England Patriots 

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

You only get one shot.  Palms are sweaty.  Mom's spaghetti.

I hope that's his attitude.

frankly, I wouldn't even listen to the coach if I was Plummer about being safe.  I'd be instantly moving to the route in the progression that offered the biggest play.  I'd totally take the go big or go home approach.  This fanbase is so starved for big plays....he would be an instant favorite. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

frankly, I wouldn't even listen to the coach if I was Plummer about being safe.  I'd be instantly move to the route in the progression that offered the biggest play.  I'd totally take the go big or go home approach.  This fanbase is so starved for big plays....he would be an instant favorite. 

Its not even really about that.  This is an audition for the other 31 NFL teams too.  If I'm him, I'm taking every big throw that looks remotely open.  If he goes out there and goes 12/15 for 63 yards, nobody's signing him.

I don’t think he has it, but he will be easy to root for.

And even though I would welcome someone being allowed to try and beat Young out, I’m talking about just generally rooting for a long shot JAG.

I predict Jalen Coker goes off for at least 80 yards and a TD and that Andrew Raym looks pretty good as a back up center and then the whole Huddle calls for him to be the starter and wonders why he's getting no reps at practice as the only true center on the team. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

frankly, I wouldn't even listen to the coach if I was Plummer about being safe.  I'd be instantly move to the route in the progression that offered the biggest play.  I'd totally take the go big or go home approach.  This fanbase is so starved for big plays....he would be an instant favorite. 

I'm fairly certain if he does that once or twice he's going to be pulled, cut, and unlikely to find a team afterwards.

Not because he's throwing deep and that's taboo or any other dismissive reasoning, but because he's looking to promote himself rather than playing with the team.

Edited by Icege

3 minutes ago, Icege said:

I'm fairly certain if he does that once or twice he's going to be pulled, terminated, and unlikely to find a team afterwards.

That's pretty common in preseason.  Fringe guys are usually trying to make a big play and get noticed.  I don't think anyone's getting blacklisted from the league for throwing downfield vs single coverage in the preseason.

Receivers are trying to make the team or get big plays on film too.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

That's pretty common in preseason.  Fringe guys are usually trying to make a big play and get noticed.  I don't think anyone's getting blacklisted from the league for throwing downfield vs single coverage in the preseason.

Receivers are trying to make the team or get big plays on film too.

If a 3rd string QB is going to go deliberately against the play call, they're not going to be trusted nor are they going to get many opportunities afterwards.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Icege said:

I'm fairly certain if he does that once or twice he's going to be pulled, cut, and unlikely to find a team afterwards.

Not because he's throwing deep and that's taboo or any other dismissive reasoning, but because he's looking to promote himself rather than playing with the team.

I mean, if he is operating within the playcall.....and making the plays?   That's literally what he is supposed to do. 

But yeah, if he goes down in a blaze of glory he probably gets cut.  But he has no future going 8-14 for 42 yards on bullshit throws in reality anyway.  Too big of a long shot.  I mean, promoting himself is basically what this opportunity is and should be for him.   It's the NFL. 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Icege said:

If a 3rd string QB is going to go deliberately against the play call, they're not going to be trusted nor are they going to get many opportunities afterwards.

No one said that though. That's different.  I said he should quickly go to the routes in the progression to the ones with the biggest play potential. 

46 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, if he is operating within the playcall.....and making the plays?   That's literally what he is supposed to do. 

But yeah, if he goes down in a blaze of glory he probably gets cut.  But he has no future going 8-14 for 42 yards on bullshit throws in reality anyway.  Too big of a long shot.  I mean, promoting himself is basically what this opportunity is and should be for him.   It's the NFL. 

48 minutes ago, CRA said:

No one said that though. That's different.  I said he should quickly go to the routes in the progression to the ones with the biggest play potential. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

frankly, I wouldn't even listen to the coach if I was Plummer about being safe.  I'd be instantly moving to the route in the progression that offered the biggest play.  I'd totally take the go big or go home approach.  This fanbase is so starved for big plays....he would be an instant favorite. 

If the play call is to make his progressions and he skips to the ones that makes the biggest play as you suggested then that is not what the coaches called.

His first job is to execute the offense and he's not doing that if he's immediately looking to the go routes that are designed to clear a defender for the passing concept designed on the play. He would not be giving the staff the ability to evaluate the rest of the talent on the roster because he'd be too busy looking out for himself if doing what you suggested.

If fans want to be entertained by the play calling, they should check out Fan Controlled Football (FCF) instead of gaslighting themselves by demanding that an NFL team calls the plays that they want. I'd hate to be QB3 in a locker room where I wasn't getting my teammates the looks that were called for them in preseason. Especially if that was because I was too busy looking out for myself and throwing it on the deepest route every play, progressions be damned.