• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Rapoport on Bryce: "Everyone had Bryce Young #1"

Icege

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

The trade was for pick 1. Stroud was an option then. The Bears wanted Burns, Brown, or DJ. The trade itself wasn’t a crazy one IMO. We just messed it up by the options we picked for the trade and pick. My point was it was a decent year to make it and a manageable trade. 
I’m fairly certain when we made it a lot of people on here were happy about the actual trade. 

That's like saying russian roulette isn't crazy as long as the bullet isn't in the chamber.  It's a crazy move to trade that much for a #1 pick.  You take the prospects out of the equation, and its stupid from a risk management perspective.  A coin flip is better odds than landing a franchise QB #1 overall.  Would you bet everything on a coin flip?  Would you bet everything on worse odds than that?  It's gambling addict stuff.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan
risky to crazy/ better word
  • Pie 2

14 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

That's like saying russian roulette isn't crazy as long as the bullet isn't in the chamber.  It's a crazy move to trade that much for a #1 pick.  You take the prospects out of the equation, and its stupid from a risk management perspective.  A coin flip is better odds than landing a franchise QB #1 overall.  Would you bet everything on a coin flip?  Would you bet everything on worse odds than that?  It's gambling addict stuff.

The value they wanted for the top pick wasn’t as crazy as other years because there wasn’t a Burrow/Lawrence/Luck. I guess that’s what I’m trying to say. How we maneuvered it was dumb. Giving up our only weapon and drafting a QB that was an outlier with the pick made it more of a gamble. 
If I’m the GM and I’m convinced a player is my next franchise QB, two firsts, a player and a second isn’t that crazy to secure him. If we all felt confident Young was our future, we wouldn’t be upset about that trade. 

I was crying, begging and pleading not to take him or trade up. I have the reprimands to prove it. 

And fug all of you pretending to be against the pick. I had so many poo emojis  when I wrote what a huge fuging mistake this was going to be. You guys piled on me. I never gave in stuck to my guns.  Go back and read my posts. 

Mic drop.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The value they wanted for the top pick wasn’t as crazy as other years because there wasn’t a Burrow/Lawrence/Luck. I guess that’s what I’m trying to say. How we maneuvered it was dumb. Giving up our only weapon and drafting a QB that was an outlier with the pick made it more of a gamble. 
If I’m the GM and I’m convinced a player is my next franchise QB, two firsts, a player and a second isn’t that crazy to secure him. If we all felt confident Young was our future, we wouldn’t be upset about that trade. 

2 seconds

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

2 seconds

Regardless SF just traded 3 firsts for the QB3 of a draft a couple years prior. The only  thing we would be missing this coming draft would be our 2nd (which we have one now). That makes it easier to move on if needed IMO. You eventually have to take that shot for your guy. Maybe we missed, maybe we didn’t, but if you hit it’s 100% worth it. 

33 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Regardless SF just traded 3 firsts for the QB3 of a draft a couple years prior. The only  thing we would be missing this coming draft would be our 2nd (which we have one now). That makes it easier to move on if needed IMO. You eventually have to take that shot for your guy. Maybe we missed, maybe we didn’t, but if you hit it’s 100% worth it. 

You are sort of downplaying that it was compounded by the 2024 pick we traded being The One. I understand if we hadn’t have traded we’d not have had the first pick probably but it was gonna be high. 

After watching Stroud last year, we may see a repeat outcome with Williams. They say he is looking great. 

What a folly.

I was right there with the people saying the play was just too risky. Young was and is a long shot you don’t do that for a long shot. I always came back to when it looks like a can’t miss generational player (the kind worth trading for), people don’t trade that. 

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yea but you don't need to trade multiple 1st round picks to move up.  We could have easily lost more games by letting Rhule continue.  We should have taken on the chin and drafted someone at 9.  The trade is ridiculous.  Giving up all of that to roll the dice on a QB is insane, because there's another QB dice roll built into the return we gave up.  We could have easily secured the #1 selection without Bryce last season.

The 49ers did what they did because they have a stacked roster that's got a limited window.  That's a different situation.  We have no window.  The frame isn't even up.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Yea but you don't need to trade multiple 1st round picks to move up.  We could have easily lost more games by letting Rhule continue.  We should have taken on the chin and drafted someone at 9.  The trade is ridiculous.  Giving up all of that to roll the dice on a QB is insane, because there's another QB dice roll built into the return we gave up.  We could have easily secured the #1 selection without Bryce last season.

The 49ers did what they did because they have a stacked roster that's got a limited window.  That's a different situation.  We have no window.  The frame isn't even up.

I am cured of ever thinking of trading a future 1st round draft pick. I was already there before 2023 happened, it was hard to take. Especially after I watched some film and the wave of support 'went there'. 

The trade to #1 would be been ok if we had just taken Stroud. Thats who I wanted. We’d be singing a different tune today had that happened. 

but ya know, we’re stuck with Bryce so gotta hope he succeeds I guess. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1