• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Rapoport on Bryce: "Everyone had Bryce Young #1"

Icege

16 hours ago, SmittysLawnGuy said:

I guess 2/3 of the huddle as well as myself were the only ones with foresight

The moment we grabbed him over Stroud tanked my interest in this team. I still don’t understand why a team so obsessed with athletic metrics just decided to say f it, let’s take the short, unathletic guy over the guy that checks all the boxes. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 4

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bryce as this nearly universal #1 QB thing is one of the most baffling draft stories I've ever seen. Top prospects (especially QBs) are usually nitpicked to death leading up to the draft to the point of it getting absurd sometimes. Remember Cam's "fake smile"? LOL! But with Bryce you had a prospect that had just about every physical red flag you could imagine and everyone just glossed over it and came up with every reason under the sun why that wouldn't matter for this one unique prospect. It was absolutely baffling to watch play out.

What baffles me the most is the combine apples to apples comparisons. I’ll admit that I didn’t scout all the QBs, I just wanted to get off the train of let’s keep trying vet QBs that are proven to not be SB winners and get a top rookie QB.

When the combine rolled around and you started to see the immense physical differences and you could see that Young put on a ton of weight just for the weight since he did nothing. He was the only one to not throw of the 4 QBs that had potential to go top 10 and the other 3 clearly displayed their arm strength. Young did nothing at the combine and the other 2 or 3 showed out nicely. How could anyone have seen the arm show and not questioned Young’s arm and, honestly, his lack of speed to at least run/escape at his pro day with the combine on video? S2 score ruled the day and we are where we are.

Our front office was and still is, until proven otherwise, a poo show. Still truly amazing that our idiot savants clearly had rookie QB on the mind in 2023 draft but we didn’t let Rhule finish 2022 to get a great pick (history of teams playing hard for liked interim coach, don’t change what’s working) and we decided that CMC + DJ + 1 first round pick was less important to a rookie QB than Burns.

• Pie 3

21 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

When the combine rolled around and you started to see the immense physical differences and you could see that Young put on a ton of weight just for the weight since he did nothing. He was the only one to not throw of the 4 QBs that had potential to go top 10 and the other 3 clearly displayed their arm strength.

Most people didn't care because they realize that the consensus #1 QB in the draft (which Bryce was, despite what so many people on here attempt to argue otherwise) tends to not throw at the combine (ie Caleb Williams)

https://x.com/jacobinfante24/status/1761955928184607023

Now if you want to argue that Bryce wasn't as good as those guys, go ahead.  I'm not getting into any "Bryce bad/good" debates.  

All I'm saying is that as the guy who was largely considered No. 1 during the college football season and before the draft, it made sense from a business perspective for him to not throw and that is why it didn't raise any flags with most people who pay attention to these things.  Just like most people didn't care about Caleb Williams not throwing (although as always you have your small % of people who insist it matters).

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, Mage said:

Most people didn't care because they realize that the consensus #1 QB in the draft (which Bryce was, despite what so many people on here attempt to argue otherwise) tends to not throw at the combine (ie Caleb Williams)

Now if you want to argue that Bryce wasn't as good as those guys, go ahead.  I'm not getting into any "Bryce bad/good" debates.  

All I'm saying is that as the guy who was largely considered No. 1 during the college football season and before the draft, it made sense from a business perspective for him to not throw and that is why it didn't raise any flags with most people who pay attention to these things.  Just like most people didn't care about Caleb Williams not throwing (although as always you have your small % of people who insist it matters).

Yep Burrow didn’t throw either. Throwing against Herbert wouldn’t have helped him in any way. 

40 minutes ago, Mage said:

The QB typically slotted at 2 doesn’t throw either. The guys taken at 2 and 4 threw because they wanted to show what they had. Williams likely already knew he was #1 at the combine. The Bears telegraphed that as soon as the season ended. From everything we heard, Young wasn’t locked in as our guy yet.

There has always been instances of guys who didn’t need to show anything not working out but when the other two QBs with a legit shot at 1 throw, it’s a bit of a red flag that the physically limited guy did not.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Bryce just had nothing to benefit from by throwing.   He knew Carolina or Houston would take him.  Throwing had 0 chance of helping and could only hurt him.   So he didn't throw. 

That's different than being the consensus #1 overall QB though of 32 teams.  The bad teams at the top dictate the convo.  Bryce's size and skill set alone would obviously make him not #1 for many teams and schemes.  He isn't a generic fits all offenses QB.  Tons of teams paid zero attention to him in reality to even rank the top guys.  Plenty of teams weren't going to invest any energy into breaking down Stroud, Young, etc.  Fruitless time and energy. 

Can go all the way back to Cam.  Everyone slated Cam to go #1 overall leading up to the draft....but only once people basically knew Carolina was going to take him.  Change who is at the top of the draft, Cam easily could of had an epic fall.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Right but generally the #1 prospect is #1 for more reasons than just his brain. 

Caleb not participating doesn’t matter. He’s a physical blue chip. 

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, CRA said:

Bryce just had nothing to benefit from by throwing.   He knew Carolina or Houston would take him.  Throwing had 0 chance of helping and could only hurt him.   So he didn't throw. 

That's different than being the consensus #1 overall QB though of 32 teams.  The bad teams at the top dictate the convo.  Bryce's size and skill set alone would obviously make him not #1 for many teams and schemes.  He isn't a generic fits all offenses QB.  Tons of teams paid zero attention to him in reality to even rank the top guys.  Plenty of teams weren't going to invest any energy into breaking down Stroud, Young, etc.  Fruitless time and energy. 

Can go all the way back to Cam.  Everyone slated Cam to go #1 overall leading up to the draft....but only once people basically knew Carolina was going to take him.  Change who is at the top of the draft, Cam easily could have had an epic fall.  

Except if Cam fails, the pick still would be justified by his freak physicals. 

Bryce just looks comically embarrassing as a selection if he fails. 

• Beer 1

I have no problem with the Bryce evaluation. I do think more orgs (and fans, (and huddlers)) had bryce as their #1 than would ever admit now. Projecting a QB as a top 3 pick is like playing Russian roulette but 4/6 chambers have a bullet. 

MOST of these guys do not meet expectations and it is a TERRIBLE spot to be in. If you miss, you are screwed for at least two years, if not 3, meanwhile the rest of your roster gets worse as you plug the hole at QB instead of spend that money at other deficiencies. 

The issue was making that trade in the first place and losing the capital we did, knowing how strong the QB draft was the following year, which did have a no doubt prospect at the top of the board. But we can’t can’t that now. 

time to support Bryce. If he can’t do it, we play roulette again next year. 

Edited by ImfromClayton

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Him not throwing, that was the symptom of what he did. Which was bloat and obfuscate and get 200 pounds or whatever it was, entered into the record. Everybody knew it was bullshit. Personally, I’d rather have a guy that would not play those games.

He threw on his pro day, and there was for sure enough there for a pro to get a good sense of his passing abilty. 

As far as why they picked Bryce Young to invest ALL that in, you have to figure out why poo happens or you will see it repeated.