• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Rapoport on Bryce: "Everyone had Bryce Young #1"

Icege

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

nah you can miss on the #1 pick and survive but you can trade a kings ransom and still miss.  We are fuged for a few more seasons I suspect

This would have been a great situation for Wilks honestly. Build a culture while we recoup. Keep expectations low. 

• Poo 1

His school film never lied if you took off the college fan glasses. The media side of the draft process is mostly just a bunch of lemmings following each other's mocks. Thanks for the confirmation Rap. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

58 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

nah you can miss on the #1 pick and survive but you can trade a kings ransom and still miss.  We are fuged for a few more seasons I suspect

All we had to do was wait another 10 or so weeks to fire Rhule.  He would have gotten the pick without the trade.  Or at least without having to give up as much.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

This is only news on here.  He was QB1 on most boards (some had Young/Stroud as QB1/QB2) and some people on here want to try to change history to make it appear Tepper forced some reach in us taking him.  It doesn't mean he was the right pick or will be the best QB in this class, but it is accurate.  Hell the Texans nearly moved up from 2 to get him.  

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

All we had to do was wait another 10 or so weeks to fire Rhule.  He would have gotten the pick without the trade.  Or at least without having to give up as much.

Unfortunately that wouldn’t have necessarily changed the pick, but yeah we’d have kept a TON of assets. 

• Pie 1

I remember people even talking about how much better the ball looked coming off of Bryce's hand in the lead up to the draft. Then seeing actual throws in preseason last year, I was like what were they looking at. Stroud thought he was coming here and few of us fans lobbied. There is a lot of people now saying to the contrary since Bryce had such a below average rookie year, but before the draft it was heavy Bryce. I am trying to be positive, because it could get real ugly for years with the decisions this franchise made since Tepper arrived. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

When I first saw the news that we had traded up to #1, I thought to myself "It's gotta be Stroud."  I was definitely for taking Stroud, but was ultimately bamboozled by the baby genius hype train.

I didn't watch him play that much in college, and I assumed he was a bit more athletic than he actually is.  He might be able to make the right decisions better than most rookies, but I'm not sure that his athleticism meets the bar to put him in those positions in the NFL.  He seemed to do better when the play broke down in college.  But, I'm not sure that he's athletic enough to be rolling out of the pocket constantly in the NFL.

I'm interested to see what happens this year, but I was definitely fooled by the hype train right before the draft.

The trade up itself was dumber than the pick.  Draft picks are never a sure thing.  Bryce could have been Mighty Mouse last year and Stroud could have busted hard.  But pushing all the chips to middle of the table on that kind of pick is just unnecessarily risky.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

I remember people even talking about how much better the ball looked coming off of Bryce's hand in the lead up to the draft. Then seeing actual throws in preseason last year, I was like what were they looking at. Stroud thought he was coming here and few of us fans lobbied. There is a lot of people now saying to the contrary since Bryce had such a below average rookie year, but before the draft it was heavy Bryce. I am trying to be positive, because it could get real ugly for years with the decisions this franchise made since Tepper arrived. 

I feel like yes this place was heavy for the processor. You could not express doubt without catching a ton of scoffing and derision, and being told all about it. 

and yeah, I was totally against that trade. 1000%

You stay at your spot and be creative and be better than having to mortgage your future because you can’t get one any other way. 

Edited by strato

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

When I first saw the news that we had traded up to #1, I thought to myself "It's gotta be Stroud."  I was definitely for taking Stroud, but was ultimately bamboozled by the baby genius hype train.

I didn't watch him play that much in college, and I assumed he was a bit more athletic than he actually is.  He might be able to make the right decisions better than most rookies, but I'm not sure that his athleticism meets the bar to put him in those positions in the NFL.  He seemed to do better when the play broke down in college.  But, I'm not sure that he's athletic enough to be rolling out of the pocket constantly in the NFL.

I'm interested to see what happens this year, but I was definitely fooled by the hype train right before the draft.

The trade up itself was dumber than the pick.  Draft picks are never a sure thing.  Bryce could have been Mighty Mouse last year and Stroud could have busted hard.  But pushing all the chips to middle of the table on that kind of pick is just unnecessarily risky.

I preferred Stroud because his arm talent was something you can’t coach. I was concerned with passing Young because he was clutch and annoyingly good in college. Lastly I was intrigued by AR as option 3 because I thought we had a good staff in place to unlock his potential (yeah it hurt typing that last sentence).

Didn't think they should have traded up for a QB. Too many quesion marks at Oline and receiver. Trading DJ made it even worse.

After trading up, Richardson was the only one that made sense to me. Figured he could just make enough plays with his legs to win games. Say what you want, but the Huddle would have been dogging Stroud if he would have come here too. Just for different reasons.