• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young won't play in preseason opener

13 hours ago, Newtcase said:

Holding Bryce out like his availability is the lynchpin of our success.  LMAO

I think it's completely plausible that Bryce is being held out because they CAN'T evaluate the team completely with him under center.  Many of us pointed out how much different the team looked under Dalton's one start last year, all while being shouted down by the Bryce defenders who were petrified of Dalton starting again and cementing the argument.  It's going to get real one sided around here real quick, this is the first context clue.

This would have some merit... if it wasn't Jack Plummer starting at QB for us. 

I've been vocal I wanted Stroud over Bryce and dont consider myself a defender of his by any stretch but if you sincerely believe Plummer gives this staff a better opportunity to assess the roster than Bryce does I've got a bridge to sell you.

Tomorrow is going to be rough on offense.

Edited by SteveSmithTD89
  • Beer 5

14 hours ago, frankw said:

As far as Canales goes I'm not judging him on this he inherited Bryce. We always knew that was a hard selling point to any head coaching candidate we were looking at. And at the end of the day he needs to be given the chance to at least attempt to develop a QB of his choosing. The biggest thing I'll be interested in seeing from Canales is how he has the team prepared on gamedays and how he coaches situationally on gamedays. If that area is looking sketchy then nothing else really matters anyways. But I hope to see some positive results based on his overall approach.

Meh he took the job, I'mpersonally done feeling sorry for these guys. I would have respected him a lot more if he brought in a QB 2 that fits his system and at least a hint of competition. He is a very green coach. The oline still being a mess after the money they spent and the choices they made is not a great start.

Since Tepper got here the whole 'it's not fair because they are not getting their shot' has turned out every time they should never have got that extra shot. This looks no different. Neither hire was the best option but more of they took the job and helped drag the last mess  into the new mess they are making. One and done again is looking like a better option, especially after the offseason these 2 have dumped onto the team.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

I agree with all (most) of it, have said similar, and we are gonna find out soon enough. If he does not screw it up by getting hurt.

QB went 2-14 last year with a team the organization claimed was playoff caliber. Clown show is right for 2023, I am hoping they dumped the clowns for more like a crappy stand up comic for 2024. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

people calling this conservative are deep in the cope spiral of denial. 

Conservative is what Andy Reid is with Mahomes.  And Mahomes basically got the same overall volume of work as a ROOKIE Bryce did last season but got it in just 2 preseason games. 

I think it clear, Bryce can't do what the team needs him to do yet.  And that gets highlighted when you aren't in control and an opposing D takes away Bryce's bread and butter and goes after him.   Too much of what Canales' base is plays to things Bryce is bad at. 

They are protecting Bryce and frankly Canales from having to do deal with it all at this stage.  It's not conservative QB management.  You do think with Cousins or Mahomes or someone like that.   Great QBs, old QBs, injured players.  Not bad 2nd year QBs. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, CRA said:

people calling this conservative are deep in the cope spiral of denial. 

Conservative is what Andy Reid is with Mahomes.  And Mahomes basically got the same overall volume of work as a ROOKIE Bryce did last season but got it in just 2 preseason games. 

I think it clear, Bryce can't do what the team needs him to do yet.  And that gets highlighted when you aren't in control and an opposing D takes away Bryce's bread and butter and goes after him.   Too much of what Canales' base is plays to things Bryce is bad at. 

They are protecting Bryce and frankly Canales from having to do deal with it all at this stage.  It's not conservative QB management.  You do think with Cousins or Mahomes or someone like that.   Great QBs, old QBs, injured players.  Not bad 2nd year QBs. 

I wonder if Canales' head is spinning in general enough already to where he needs a preseason game to focus on just head coaching and play calling without the pressure of worrying about how Bryce looks. 

• Beer 2

At this point BY not playing is not that big of a deal IMO. The first preseason game I think will be used to see bottom of the roster guys, and perhaps unfortunately, that’s not BY for us. If he doesn’t play at all this preseason that’s another story because like many of you I think he should get reps in the new system with new personnel against an opponent. I think that’s a pretty needed evaluation tool to help the team get better. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Thielan, DJ, Chubba,T-MO., Shaq, Xwoods, Clowney and others were sitting all game too.

• Pie 1

I'm fine with it preseason week 1. 

Bryce handing the ball off 3 times and then sitting hardly constitutes "game action" to me. 

Now, if this continues all preseason it's a problem. 

Preseason can't "matter" as Canales has said several times and have Bryce and others not suit up as a healthy scratches. 

I expect at least one game (whichever they deem the regular season warmup) where he plays *at least* a half if not more. 

That said, it's August 7th, not September 1st. I'm perfectly fine withholding judgement at this time and revisiting after a few more weeks. If the narrative is the same and we don't see Bryce in the preseason I'll grab my pitchforks with the rest of you but seems silly to do so at this juncture for this reason.

• Pie 1

Meh, it's hard enough to sustain excitement for the preseason and this will make it that much harder lol.  But my bar for this season was always just hoping to see significant growth from Bryce and the team from the start to the finish, rather than expecting to come out the gate swinging from Week 1 (new coach, new offensive system, new o-line, huge roster turnover, etc.).  So this doesn't necessarily change anything if Bryce ultimately does end up sitting out the entire preseason and we come out looking sluggish and out of sync Week 1.

36 minutes ago, strato said:

Do you think we are dealing with a Mahomes? I know you don’t. My primary concern, by FAR, is to evaluate Young. That needs to be regular season. 

I want to see now, but I get it. 

Young needs to be developed.  That's why he should be getting preseason reps now.  Not only developed, he has to learn this O.  That's another reason he needs rep now.  The evaluation is going to be really easy if you just wait to play him in the regular season.  It will be bad.   That's why he needs to be developing and learning before the season starts.  Like every team does with young, green and bad QBs.  They play and develop them.  Not hold them out like some ancient version of Peyton Manning. 

only thing I get, is Canales gets that Bryce Young would look bad presently in an uncontrolled scenario.  Which is fine.  He shouldn't look good in live action in Canales brand new O.  Go ahead and start working out what he can and can't do in it. 

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

This would have some merit... if it wasn't Jack Plummer starting at QB for us. 

I've been vocal I wanted Stroud over Bryce and dont consider myself a defender of his by any stretch but if you sincerely believe Plummer gives this staff a better opportunity to assess the roster than Bryce does I've got a bridge to sell you.

Tomorrow is going to be rough on offense.

10tds and 11 ints, wasnt ranked even among back up qbs last year.....

So far hasn't even completed a ball over 30 yds in camp....

WE DONT KNOW WHO GIVES US THE BEST WAY TO ASSESS THE ROSTER.  

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

I'm fine with it preseason week 1. 

Bryce handing the ball off 3 times and then sitting hardly constitutes "game action" to me. 

Now, if this continues all preseason it's a problem. 

Preseason can't "matter" as Canales has said several times and have Bryce and others not suit up as a healthy scratches. 

I expect at least one game (whichever they deem the regular season warmup) where he plays *at least* a half if not more. 

That said, it's August 7th, not September 1st. I'm perfectly fine withholding judgement at this time and revisiting after a few more weeks. If the narrative is the same and we don't see Bryce in the preseason I'll grab my pitchforks with the rest of you but seems silly to do so at this juncture for this reason.

isn't the new general consensus that preseason 1 and 2 are the games you actually should be using your starters in.  Dip the toe game 1, real work game 2, rest game 3.   Joint practice skews that some but overall teams aren't looking to get banged up in the 3rd one to ensure the healthy start of the season. 

• Pie 1