• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young won't play in preseason opener

44 minutes ago, bandu said:

idk who is putting together or making the decisions  but whoever that might be probably Canales has Zavala as the starting LG with Damien Lewis out right now with injury & a healthy Brady Christensen on the bench unbelievable 

Canales oL is going to be big bodied &  RB friendly 

He does some unorthodox OL stuff I guess you could say. He reshuffled Tampa’s OL last year I think I saw. 

Haven’t spent much time pondering the effect of that here, but playing Zavala in a game that matters? I am afraid to do it. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 2

26 minutes ago, CRA said:

we are still largely the same clown show.  This isn't a rebuild.  We basically changed offensive playcaller and scheme.  Same owner, largely the same front office outside of a face swap, same QB, same O advisor, same D staff.  

I think the improvements at both offensive guard positions would have made a huge difference last season. Throw in a receiver (DJ) that can create separation, another that can run after the catch (XL maybe), plus a pass catching TE (Sanders) and the offense should be better - even if no one else improves from last season. I think this defense is better without Burns honestly. The run defense should be solid without him and YGM consistently not setting the edges. Pass rush is definitely a concern, but honestly it was last season too. Secondary is a push unless Jaycee is healthy. If he plays, they're better too.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, strato said:

He does some unorthodox OL stuff I guess you could say. He reshuffled Tampa’s OL last year I think I saw. 

Haven’t spent much time pondering the effect of that here, but playing Zavala in a game that matters? I am afraid to do it. 

yeah well Canales would defenitely start Zavala if D.Lewis is or was not ready to start  since Zavala is running with the 1's in practice right now at LG

• Beer 1

56 minutes ago, CRA said:

we are still largely the same clown show.  This isn't a rebuild.  We basically changed offensive playcaller and scheme.  Same owner, largely the same front office outside of a face swap, same QB, same O advisor, same D staff.  

Same mess with some new people added to the pile. Even the excuse levels are already at a comedic level. 

19 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I think the improvements at both offensive guard positions would have made a huge difference last season. Throw in a receiver (DJ) that can create separation, another that can run after the catch (XL maybe), plus a pass catching TE (Sanders) and the offense should be better - even if no one else improves from last season. I think this defense is better without Burns honestly. The run defense should be solid without him and YGM consistently not setting the edges. Pass rush is definitely a concern, but honestly it was last season too. Secondary is a push unless Jaycee is healthy. If he plays, they're better too.

I'm not so sure OL  would have change much outside of running the football easier.  I'll say that.  Not sure it drastically changes the pass game.  WRs couldn't run last year.  O calls were predictable. Bryce flat out has issues even in a good traditional pocket (that affords average protection time).  

I don't really think the rookies will impact much the first half of the season. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, bandu said:

yeah well Canales would defenitely start Zavala if D.Lewis is or was not ready to start  since Zavala is running with the 1's in practice right now at LG

Canales has stated in his pressers that they're trying different back-ups with the 1s to see if they can consistently perform against them after showing flashes against 2nd & 3rd stringers.

I think that Christensen is going to be the first man up if any iOL starters go down with Mays waiting to be the next to step in. Unless Zavala has shown huge leaps in his pass blocking I don't believe they'll rush to have him fill in.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, bandu said:

idk who is putting together or making the decisions  but whoever that might be probably Canales has Zavala as the starting LG with Damien Lewis out right now with injury & a healthy Brady Christensen on the bench unbelievable 

Canales oL is going to be big bodied &  RB friendly 

If that was the case then keep Bozeman in a run 1st scheme for another year and at least be ready to move Ickey inside to LG. Spending that money at OG and moving an OG coming off of a knee injury to C told me all I needed to know about this build and that was before the run heavy this year comments. 

That line looks like it was built and managed by a blind person who just asked who the most expensive OGs were in the free agency. 

• Flames 1

People say no QB would have had success with our line last year, and the murmuring is already ramping up.

Excuses. A QB that can make throws that are just plain unfair to a defense all of a sudden makes a line look 10x better. It inspires confidence in the whole team, and a lack there of on the opponent. The inverse holds true as well. How hard are these dudes going to play if they know QB just does not have the tools to needed to win? Why get your brains beat in if you’ve got a full bank account and KNOW your guy is not even close to being an NFL qb?

BY ain’t it, sadly, and everyone knows it. I’m very interested to at least see what things look like with an NFL capable arm tonight.  I’m expecting to lose, but hopefully not be completely demoralized. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

When you only win 2 or 3 games a year the entire season doesn’t matter. If he gets hurt then it will be an easy decision to say goodbye. Sink or swim time.

I get it.  I mostly agree, but if he were to get hurt in meaningless games the same people bitching about him not playing would bitch about him playing.

I think he needs the reps too.

58 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

People say no QB would have had success with our line last year, and the murmuring is already ramping up.

Excuses. A QB that can make throws that are just plain unfair to a defense all of a sudden makes a line look 10x better. It inspires confidence in the whole team, and a lack there of on the opponent. The inverse holds true as well. How hard are these dudes going to play if they know QB just does not have the tools to needed to win? Why get your brains beat in if you’ve got a full bank account and KNOW your guy is not even close to being an NFL qb?

BY ain’t it, sadly, and everyone knows it. I’m very interested to at least see what things look like with an NFL capable arm tonight.  I’m expecting to lose, but hopefully not be completely demoralized. 

Statistically Mahommes was pressured more (152 to 150) and hit more (65 to 50) than Bryce last year, yet only sacked 27 times to Bryce's 62.  But Bryce copers on here acting like no one could be successful under pressure.

Honorable Mention for Jared Goff as well.

image.png.8cc0b565ae0e943dbc36a9633fcdee43.png

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 4
  • Flames 1

It's interesting to me that some people are entertaining the frame of thought that our starting QB and first overall pick isn't playing in the first preseason game because the rebuilding Patriots with their mediocre roster play dirty football. But they for some reason gloss right over the fact that based on this line of reasoning you basically have to sit him all of preseason. Because if you think the Jets and Bills in particular aren't paying attention to this you are dreaming. If we play BY against either of those teams you can bet their defensive staff and players will go out of their way to test Bryce Young early and often.

The only word that comes to mind is fragile. That is what we are presenting to the league the year after one of the worst offensive performances from any QB ever.

I do not understand how any rational fan can look at that and think things are going well in any way.

• Pie 6