• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young won't play in preseason opener

3 hours ago, CRA said:

in all honesty, I just want him out there so that reality comes quicker rather than later.   Bryce Young might of worked out in some ideal landing spot.  He isn't going to work here.  We have already seen that.  And this is about to a real bad marriage of putting him into a Canales O. 

Not saying you’re wrong, I’m just curious, why do you think it’s a bad marriage with Canales O?

19 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Not saying you’re wrong, I’m just curious, why do you think it’s a bad marriage with Canales O?

every offense he has been involved with has relied on chunk pass plays downfield.   Not just relied on them but more often than not tops of the league as well.

That’s not a good pairing for Bryce 

now you could argue he suddenly do something different but to date he has never been around a successful O that didn’t rely on it.   

and his first major investment was a downfield jump ball WR so that leads me to believe that’s still his ideal brand of football.   

Hope I’m wrong and he is some grand wizard and invents something Bryce would thrive in….but I’m a need to see it guy at this point to believe it

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

On 8/6/2024 at 3:51 PM, frankw said:

I've tried to fall back and genuinely take a cautious optimism approach heading into week one given I think Canales has some traits that could help him become one of the leagues better young coaches.

But man this franchise is just brutal to their own fanbase time and time again. The offense was horrendous in preseason last year and we were told it didn't matter that they would turn things up in the regular season. We finished as one of the worst offenses ever.

The situation and overall approach at QB1 is just giving me flashbacks of a certain mentality which longtime Panthers fans know all too well from the Richardson years personified. "Just happy to be here".

If we're this concerned about BY getting hurt in preseason then we should have made a better effort to bring in legitimate depth to the QB room and actually pushed Bryce Young instead of once again laying out the red carpet. The Texans solidified QB2 is 25 years old. We've been going around with Andy Dalton at QB2 like he's so invaluable and necessary for Bryce's development. No that's what your head coach and offensive staff are for. Legit competition behind center is a good thing. Particularly when your QB play for 16 games last season was historically bad in key metrics. If you have a true competitor behind center he should want that competition and feed off it. Instead it's what can only be perceived as complacency. Everything has become about comfortability instead of actually placing expectations upon the first pick. Specifically a guy whose key selling point beyond his QB intelligence was his ability to improvise and create something out of nothing. Now just for him to even play in preseason every little thing around him has to be just right and even then it's a "well maybe we'll see".

It'd be nice to not continue to be the laughingstock to other fanbases and only mentioned in passing under the guise of "well at least we're not the Panthers" consistently.

That is exactly where I’m at 

sick and tired of ‘well, the online isn’t fill in the blank’  ‘well, the coaching staff is new…’     ‘Well, the sun is shining’. ‘ Well, it is raining ‘  

this is bloody pro football.   If he is that damned fragile mentally, retire 

this guy is going to make what, $30 to $38 million on his full contract.  He needs to do something.  He can watch film 24x7 but this isn’t a video game.  He must do something on the field, the sooner the better….even if it is for one quarter.

frankly,  If he gets injured, he gets injured.  The NFL season went on before him and it will go in after.   It isn’t like his not playing equates to the Panthers losing  Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes.  

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, CRA said:

every offense he has been involved with has relied on chunk pass plays downfield.   Not just relied on them but more often than not tops of the league as well.

now you could argue he suddenly do something different but to date he has never been around a successful O that didn’t rely on it.   

and his first major investment was a downfield jump ball WR so that leads me to believe that’s still his ideal brand of football.   

Hope I’m wrong and he is some grand wizard and invents something Bryce would thrive in….but I’m a need to see it guy at this point to believe it

Maybe the FO knows they screwed up drafting Bryce and will be looking at QB in 25. Canales and technically Morgan didn’t draft him 

• Pie 4

Then again Bryce couldn't get this done with Chark last year....Luton actually wasn't horrible in this real NFL game start. Instead of being negative I'm rooting for Plummer and Luton! If they start chucking it deep Bryce might start feeling that pressure

24 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

Maybe the FO knows they screwed up drafting Bryce and will be looking at QB in 25. Canales and technically Morgan didn’t draft him 

Everyone thinks Morgan was in on it but I'm not sure about that. I think they expect to be looking at QB with their 1 in 25.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The guy is not a starting NFL QB, I don't care how they hide him, make excuses for him, or shuffle the offense around him.....it isn't going to work.

There isn't any reason why he shouldn't be playing. The season hasn't even started and I'm already over it.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Maybe said receive was drafted to fit the system and not the QB. The QB will have to thrive in the system or...well, said QB will not last long as the QB in said system. 

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Maybe said receive was drafted to fit the system and not the QB. The QB will have to thrive in the system or...well, said QB will not last long as the QB in said system. 

If it works out it will be “Canales is really smart”. If it doesn’t it will be “Canales is Reich 2.0, refuses to adapt his system to his quarterback.”.

• Beer 1