• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young won't play in preseason opener

If Young went out and got hurt, what would people say? He is being conservative and it is no fun but the more I consider things there is no reason to force something that doesn’t feel right. I am not on the inside to know. 

As to what someone said about Tepper allowing it, ha ha this is just the first week I bet he can stay silent a week. I know he is trying lol. Probably can’t stand it. 

Edited by strato

2 hours ago, frankw said:

I've tried to fall back and genuinely take a cautious optimism approach heading into week one given I think Canales has some traits that could help him become one of the leagues better young coaches.

But man this franchise is just brutal to their own fanbase time and time again. The offense was horrendous in preseason last year and we were told it didn't matter that they would turn things up in the regular season. We finished as one of the worst offenses ever.

The situation and overall approach at QB1 is just giving me flashbacks of a certain mentality which longtime Panthers fans know all too well from the Richardson years personified. "Just happy to be here".

If we're this concerned about BY getting hurt in preseason then we should have made a better effort to bring in legitimate depth to the QB room and actually pushed Bryce Young instead of once again laying out the red carpet. The Texans solidified QB2 is 25 years old. We've been going around with Andy Dalton at QB2 like he's so invaluable and necessary for Bryce's development. No that's what your head coach and offensive staff are for. Legit competition behind center is a good thing. Particularly when your QB play for 16 games last season was historically bad in key metrics. If you have a true competitor behind center he should want that competition and feed off it. Instead it's what can only be perceived as complacency. Everything has become about comfortability instead of actually placing expectations upon the first pick. Specifically a guy whose key selling point beyond his QB intelligence was his ability to improvise and create something out of nothing. Now just for him to even play in preseason every little thing around him has to be just right and even then it's a "well maybe we'll see".

It'd be nice to not continue to be the laughingstock to other fanbases and only mentioned in passing under the guise of "well at least we're not the Panthers" consistently.

Preach

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, strato said:

If Young went out and got hurt, what would people say? He is being conservative and it is no fun but the more I consider things there is no reason to force something that doesn’t feel right. I am not on the inside to know. 

As to what someone said about Tepper allowing it, ha ha this is just the first week I bet he can stay silent a week. I know he is trying lol. Probably can’t stand it. 

Either way they can't hide from the criticism from Jets practice next week. Last year it was a guessing game, this year we all know the flaws and Jets fans won't be shy to share their opinions 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

And if the pass protection is the same on week 1?  Would you hold him out until next season?  This is pretty unheard of.

The idea is that improvements in pass protection will occur between now and week 1. Oline takes time to gel. That's pretty standard. There are 3 new starters in the middle. They will likely improve as a unit in another 3 weeks. 

It could be nothing…  But it’s probably something.

Maybe they figure Bryce is already proficient in the two yard passing game and can practice getting up from a sack in week one. That said, he doesn’t need the reps. 

If they’re  gonna be stupid, they might as well be smart about it.  

9 hours ago, strato said:

If Young goes out and gets hurt after spending 150 million on OGs then they hired the wrong guys...again. It's beyond conservative. It reeks for more dysfunction. He is a #1 pick in his second year so handing off the ball and some quick passes should be attainable. The only legitimate out is if Young is also hurt...not that having both your QBs banged up in preseason screams of competency but at least it would make sense.

Either way that joint practice is coming and the Jets were more than happy to prove they weren't the worst team anymore last year and I don't see that changing this year. It sure looks like it's still a clown show again.

• Pie 1