• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young won't play in preseason opener

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I am holding off judgement for this decision until I see just how poorly the OL Plays on Thursday.

If Plummer goes out there and gets Matt Corral'd every play - Good move for the long term.

This is the only logical reason, but even if the OL wasn't 100% he should be playing. You and I know during the seasonal OL injuries happen and what happens next??? They going to sit young cause Hunt is out for a game, such horseshit. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Someone call PJ Walker up.  He ain't scared. 

I swear if you could get a true honest poll on the huddle and have PJ walker or Bryce Young....The answer is PJ Walker. The Panthers traded the 1st overall pick, 9th overall, DJ Moore, looking like the 33rd-35th overall pick, and 61st overall for a lesser PJ Walker. fug you tepper!

• Pie 5

7 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

And he shouldn’t unless there is a vast improvement in pass pro. Makes no sense to further shell shock your starting QB that already got the ish kicked out of him his rookie year.

And if the pass protection is the same on week 1?  Would you hold him out until next season?  This is pretty unheard of.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

As far as Canales goes I'm not judging him on this he inherited Bryce. We always knew that was a hard selling point to any head coaching candidate we were looking at. And at the end of the day he needs to be given the chance to at least attempt to develop a QB of his choosing. The biggest thing I'll be interested in seeing from Canales is how he has the team prepared on gamedays and how he coaches situationally on gamedays. If that area is looking sketchy then nothing else really matters anyways. But I hope to see some positive results based on his overall approach.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Don’t really care, there are other preseason games 

Isn't this on par with last year when all the great huddle foot ball minds claimed that preseason really wasn't indicative of what the regular season was going to look like?  That once regular season kicked in things would be completely different ?

• Pie 4

When I think about how he looked last year, he needs to be playing because that is how you get better the fastest. And he dearly needs to be better. 

They spent 150 million just on two guards. Call plays they can protect on. Get your QB some time in the saddle with the new offense.

If it is that bad the first series then next time hand it off 3 times and pull him.

Just me... 

• Pie 1

So what's the plan here? Coddle him until the regular season? I'd rather him look bad in preseason than week 1. Is it to protect him from injury? I could understand that if the starting o-line or WRs aren't playing, but if they are then there's NO excuse.

• Pie 2

Holding Bryce out like his availability is the lynchpin of our success.  LMAO

I think it's completely plausible that Bryce is being held out because they CAN'T evaluate the team completely with him under center.  Many of us pointed out how much different the team looked under Dalton's one start last year, all while being shouted down by the Bryce defenders who were petrified of Dalton starting again and cementing the argument.  It's going to get real one sided around here real quick, this is the first context clue.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

..and Young should be asking to be out there … his passivity is frankly overwhelming 

he finished, what, 33 or 34 in the nfl statistically last year and that includes backups that took over for starters 

we aren’t talking Mahomes here …we aren’t even talking Derek Carr.

he has earned zero

This right here. We sold the farm for his way too small ass and we also get no vocal leadership either?  Man up and take the reins or get out of here, Bryce. 

5 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

..and Young should be asking to be out there … his passivity is frankly overwhelming 

he finished, what, 33 or 34 in the nfl statistically last year and that includes backups that took over for starters 

we aren’t talking Mahomes here …we aren’t even talking Derek Carr.

he has earned zero

1 minute ago, 33inNC said:

This right here. We sold the farm for his way too small ass and we also get no vocal leadership either?  Man up and take the reins or get out of here, Bryce. 

I'm pretty low on Bryce the player but who's to say that he isn't campaigning behind the scenes to play? There are a lot of things to criticize him about but I'm not sure this is one of them.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

I think it's completely plausible that Bryce is being held out because they CAN'T evaluate the team completely with him under center.

This is insane however it is plausible. 

1 hour ago, Paa Langfart said:

Isn't this on par with last year when all the great huddle foot ball minds claimed that preseason really wasn't indicative of what the regular season was going to look like?  That once regular season kicked in things would be completely different ?

I hate being right in situations like that, but it was a small win in a river of poo.

That this move was even allowed to happen by Tepp is very telling. This is not trivial. Seeing Bryce play is literally the only thing pretty much everyone wants to see this Thursday, but they’re hiding him. 

I don’t think Canales would have agreed to come here, knowing that his future rested in the hands of BY. No coach would. Did Tepp promise Canales that he would be allowed to do with Bryce as he wished? He saw how Tepp did Frank. I wonder if he’s got that junk in writing on his contract. 

A GM/head coach/owner doesn’t empty the cash register like they did to get offensive talent, offensive head coach, only to sit the starting QB on game one.  

Where are the ‘Bryce has grown by leaps and bounds’ articles we’re supposed to be seeing? Montages of him throwing darts in practice. Getting in peoples faces. where his hard work in the offseason is paying off? After last season and what was given up for him, we are owed this. 

Canales is seeing what he has in the other dudes while playing with the 1s. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan

2 hours ago, Navy_football said:

And he shouldn’t unless there is a vast improvement in pass pro. Makes no sense to further shell shock your starting QB that already got the ish kicked out of him his rookie year.

Given how much money we spent on the oline, there should be improvement.  If we get even adequate play out of center and left tackle, it should be fairly dramatic improvement.  

• Pie 2