• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Training Camp 10 Maybe? Whatever, the one on August 6th starting at 9:30am est

1 hour ago, NAS said:

I wouldn't play him either behind this OL and chemistry still developing in practice.  Stabilize things first before live bullets start flying. 

Yeah I hate he isn't getting work but after seeing some of the absolute misses today. That play where Moton and Austin both didn't touch anyone could be a career ender for a QB 

3 minutes ago, outlaw4 said:

I'm not one to draw conclusions from TC but general observations so far:

- Diontae seems like a W acquisition so far. Drops may be an issue but a receiver that can actually get separation and draw away attention is huge. Am concerned if/when he's injured because I'm not sure if anyone else can effectively fill in. 

- O-line pass pro remains a concern. It really shouldn't matter who is behind center because they are not going to succeed (or survive) if they have guys in their faces immediately.

- Running game... not enough information which is glaring since our supposed emphasis was to lean more into that aspect.

- Clowney might be another W acquisition. Like with Diontae, however, it's more of a short term solution. Other guys have to step up.

- Offensive system at least isn't the ultra rigid dinosaur we had previously. Lots of moving pieces, crossers, rub concepts and play action. Not seeing much of those behind the LOS stuff.

- Deep ball does need work but given how modern NFL defenses have clamped down on them, I can understand working more on those 10~20 yard concepts. That said, Thielen in TC going deep with Horn in coverage... why? 

- Bryce making those plays out of structure was a quality that made him draftable in the first place. Obviously, stay in the pocket if there's one but seeing more of those plays in TC and guys actually making catches is a positive, not a negative. If there's an advantage he has that can be exploited, use it.

- I like XL as a person but I still question drafting him over someone closer to Diontae's mold. I'd be surprised if he has any meaningful contributions until later in the season.

- Overall depth... yeah, even if everything goes to plan, this will limit our success. 

- Even right now, I don't have a big issue with Canales as a HC. Obviously, some bad tendencies will come up but that's universal across every head coach. Interested to see his tendencies.

just going off his prior Os, his QBs have always been part of setting the top bench marks in downfield pass attempts.  So while the pass game has shrunk down.....Canales hasn't been part of that.  No variation of that really in his profile.  

• Pie 1

I just don't get the rationale of handling your first overall pick the face of your franchise and a guy with a guaranteed 38 million dollar contract like a delicate newborn.

Next 2 games after NE are the Jets and the Bills. And if you do end up playing him in either of those games you can pretty much guarantee their defensive staffs are going to bring the house on BY. All you are doing by handling him this way is telling defenses to continue teeing off on him.

• Pie 4

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

just going off his prior Os, his QBs have always been part of setting the top bench marks in downfield pass attempts.  So while the pass game has shrunk down.....Canales hasn't been part of that.  No variation of that really in his profile.  

Those offenses also had the weapons for downfield options.

The schemes themselves were different. Geno's scheme was built different than Baker's, but both emphasized each QB's strengths in order to succeed. Geno was good at deep outs and stretching the field outside the numbers. Baker was good at working intermediate middle of the field, specifically to his right. That's why I don't expect the offense Bryce runs to look like any of the past iterations of offense that he has run in the past.

Bootleg football does a good quick breakdown explaining those differences in the below video:

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Those offenses also had the weapons for downfield options.

The schemes themselves were different. Geno's scheme was built different than Baker's, but both emphasized each QB's strengths in order to succeed. Geno was good at deep outs and stretching the field outside the numbers. Baker was good at working intermediate middle of the field, specifically to his right. That's why I don't expect the offense Bryce runs to look like any of the past iterations of offense that he has run in the past.

Bootleg football does a good quick breakdown explaining those differences in the below video:

Schemes might of been different, and you can dress anything up different, but the overall identity and concepts weren't though IMO.  All we have to go on is what we have to go on.  Every O he has been involved with has checked certain boxes and leaned on the same general run and pass principles.  And his first investment as a HC (Leggette) plays right into his history way more so than what Bryce would excel with. 

I largely assume football guys will be what they have been until proven otherwise.  Stubborn run that attacks downfield.  Dress it up anyway you want IMO but every O he has been part of breaks down to that simple formula. 

• Pie 2

Corbett has been WORSE than Bozeman who was pretty awful last year.

The draft had 3 day 1 starters at center and we passed them up twice. For two backup skill players.

Sorry but I'm out on Dan Morgan. Wonder if Tepper has the balls to clean house yet again next offseason lmfao

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Corbett has been WORSE than Bozeman who was pretty awful last year.

The draft had 3 day 1 starters at center and we passed them up twice. For two backup skill players.

Sorry but I'm out on Dan Morgan. Wonder if Tepper has the balls to clean house yet again next offseason lmfao

giphy.gif