• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What if Plummer shows out????

Jmac

2 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Its hard to not root for Joe Milton.  Wouldn't have minded taking him in the 6th.

The math is too hard for me, but if you add up all the value spent on Bryce Young and divided it by the value spent on Milton or Rattler what would that look like?

How many more lottery tickets could you buy?

10 hours ago, CRA said:

He is a green, young and not very good QB. 

and this is a brand new system. 

live action matters.  In practice he sees the same players with weaknesses and strengths he uniquely knows. 

I mean the game itself doesn’t matter,  as in winning them.  Bryce Young getting a lot better matters.  I don’t agree with the less is more for bad players.  Practice vs your own is just that.  No reason not to rep him as much as possible.  

I mean, who are we kidding? If he's gonna suck, he's gonna suck. A couple of series in a couple of preseasons games ain't gonna matter. Y'all can fool yourselves if you want. I guess it'll make you feel better. Me? The regular season is where the rubber meets the road, and I'm fully prepared for us to end up in a ditch. I won't be the one driving. I'll be drinking though...

• Pie 3

17 hours ago, t96 said:

then we miraculously become the Brock Purdy 49ers

scratch that

then we miraculously become the Kyle Allen Panthers

That would still be a massive improvement of where we've been recently.

Honestly, if Plummer shows out, he still won't start at the beginning of the season. September, and maybe deep into October, will be Bryce's opportunity to show whether he will be our franchise QB (and it will take a massively good showing to retain the job beyond this season) or whether he'll take the Colt McCoy route to journeyman QB around the league.

I wish him luck. 

1 hour ago, TD alt said:

I mean, who are we kidding? If he's gonna suck, he's gonna suck. A couple of series in a couple of preseasons games ain't gonna matter. Y'all can fool yourselves if you want. I guess it'll make you feel better. Me? The regular season is where the rubber meets the road, and I'm fully prepared for us to end up in a ditch. I won't be the one driving. I'll be drinking though...

live action reps are where you can sort of gauge a player....and build around what they are presently doing well and not well.  The whole strategy aspect of sports.  Which determines wins and losses. 

So again, I see zero reason why you wouldn't rep a bad QB......in less controlled scenarios.  Against, players, schemes and play calls that all will be unknowns in comparison to his own teammates. 

I personally don't think Bryce Young is a NFL QB.  Frank Reich did a horrible job with him going into last season though.  2 things can be true.  If Canales doesn't play him going in, that's dumb too.   

• Pie 1

I have a story. 

I was at a preseason game with some knowledgeable Panther fans--4 dudes, each outspoken and eager to share his wisdom to impress the others.   The Panthers were playing a team with an established, 4-time Pro Bowl (over his career) QB who played the first quarter and was pulled.  A rookie sixth round backup QB came in to play the second quarter.  I said, "Guys?  That QB, #12, is pretty good.  I think he is better than Bledsoe." 

My friends laughed at me--hard.  The kind of laughing that sends projectiles out of your nostrils.  For the rest of the night they looked at me and laughed.  The ride home (an hour) was a bitch.  It became something they joked about so much, I hated when two of them would come together in my presence.  I quietly doubted my observations and secretly wished I had not said something so dumb. 

You know the rest of the story.  As Brady took the reins and played well, their memory of my comment faded away.  They could not recall giving me a hard time or remember my prophetic words at the stadium that night.   To this day, I remind them of it.  They remember--and I am determined that they grow old knowing that when they "professed themselves to be wise, they became fools" (Romans 1:20).  That's right--it became Biblical. 

Point:  You never know.  While I doubt Plummer ever plays a meaningful NFL snap, he or someone like him will become a star one day.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

19 hours ago, Iceup said:

Despite what Canales said, I’d be surprised if we didn’t see Bryce at all this Preseason. He may not play this Thursday but I bet he gets some reps in the Jets game. If he was a vet in the same system then I’d could see let him sit, but getting live action reps against a real opponent is key to evaluating a work in progress. And we are definitely a work in progress.

Work In Progress Dark GIF by Studio Arsène

Why stop there, let’s wait until mid season to start him. Maybe next year even. lol 

• Pie 2

I am feeling pretty inpatient to see what the QB will look like this year. What is the sense of him NOT playing? I know the game plan is not all QB sneaks and Hail Marys.

Jets week though. Coming up. Hurry up.

I spent some time yesterday looking over the roster.  We are thin at some spots and not deep at many positions.  I looked at the depth and their NFL experience or draft data--yikes.  We are thin at LB.  We are thin at CB.  We are thin at OLB.  We are thin at QB.  Possibly thin at C. 

If injuries continue at the current pace, we are in huge trouble.