• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I just ordered the Motorola Droid

dimbee

This is the one my wife just got... the Devour. I really like it.

motorola-devour-02.jpg

This is the same image of the droid.

58314_31_6.jpg

The keys on the Devour are further apart and stick up a little more, so typing is easier and the case seems really solid... but the Devour only runs Android 1.6 though and the screen is a good bit smaller. So it's a trade-off...

If you're into social networking (Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and such) then the Motoblur feature on the Devour makes that one the better choice. If not, I'd take the Droid.

why get it if you aren't going to use its full capability?

exactly....like buying a muscle car with a 4 cylinder

If you're into social networking (Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and such) then the Motoblur feature on the Devour makes that one the better choice. If not, I'd take the Droid.

One big thing with Motoblur that I love is free phone finder, and automatically synchs up your information

once you get a PDA/Smart Phone they will tag you with the $30 no matter what or where you buy it

yep......if you have no plans of canceling or changing your service it is the way to go

Only difference is the I don't think the online people can migrate you to verizon, so they might try to activate a new line of service with you, which would really screw you

I'm already totally migrated to Verizon, billing, info, etc. They just want to get rid of my Alltel phone and plan (which I grandfathered in at the last second before they got bought out, Verizon didn't have a My Circle-ish plan at the time and now they do, for 10 bucks less a month, since I already have the 30 buck data plan for my Delve). Still OK for me to switch?

You are my phone advice guru btw.

yeah then you would be fine, the only thing that might happen is the online people might not be able to see your upgrade eligibility. They used to only offer those kind of deals with new lines of service, but I know there are some that will also do it for upgrades also if they are able to see what Verizon can see.

why get it if you aren't going to use its full capability?

Have you seen their other phones that don't require data packages? Yeah.

I don't need a phone that will replace my laptop...but I want something that is not a piece of crap. If they still sold the phone I have now (LG Voyager), I'd be perfectly okay with it.

To be honest, I don't think I'd use the internet on a phone I had even if it had the capability. Unless I was sitting in class or something which is probably the last place I need to be using the internet, anyways. I text non-stop though.

i have the voyager as well. got it for texting and because after new every two it only cost me $20. tried vcast though for a trial period, and the browser on it is inadequate.

as far as nothing available without data...there are still some good ones i believe(like the chocolate touch) though I am not completely sure.

True, but I like the Devour form factor (except for the smaller screen) a LOT, the Motoblur stuff is neat, but that's about it.

I am in the exact same situation as Scrum... former Alltell customer now on Verizon... I can upgrade anytime, I just haven't yet. I haven't decided which phone I want mainly... so many choices.

Scrum, if you do this, tell me how it goes... those are damn cheap prices, WAY cheaper than straight thru the Verizon store.

I've had my Droid about a month and I love it. The Google Map navigation is top notch, and it Google Sky Map is neat for anyone interested in locating the constellations without breaking out the sky wheel.

I've had Verizon for over 10 years now and never had any complaints. I had 3G way up in the mountains fishing last weekend.

I didn't and still don't text that much, but I like having the choice of the two touch screen keypads, and the slide out keypad.

sprint is one of the WORST cell companies out.... fug sprint.. I hate sprint..

with that said, I've tried several cell companies and have no issue with Verizon.. out of at&t, sprint, nextel, t-mobile, and others.. I find Verizon the very best.....

once again, fug, fug fug sprint...

btw, sprint fuging sucks...

as for the Android OS system, it is supposed to be one of the best.. comparable to the iPhone.. without the horrendous coverage of AT&T...

I love some of the things I have heard over the years being in the cell phone industry.

Verizon has 3g everywhere and more than anybody else.......In Reality yes they do, because they named their whole EVDO network 3G after the iphone 3G came out....AT&T 2.5 Edge network is just as fast as Verizon's EVDO 3G network, and AT&T 3G is much faster than Verizon's EVDO 3G. While 3G does improve coverage slightly, data speed is really the only thing measured by 2g to 3G.

AT&T has horrendous coverage.......OK I don't really see this, I can point out exactly where AT&T will not have coverage in Virginia, North Carolina, and West Virginia. In all honesty they are just as good as Verizon except for in Southwest Virginia, North East North Carolina and actually worse in WV. Maybe Verizon has superior coverage where you live. I know they do where I live, but there are just as many places where they don't have coverage either. Verizon tends to have more towers throughout the nation, because they can piggyback off pretty much any network provider since they are CDMA, but I hate to tell you but companies of the future will all be GSM. Verizon one day will have to convert over to that technology. No cell phone provider is perfect, Govt would never allow that kind of monopoly.

Android Phones are the iPhone killer.......Nah not really, they are a nice alternative to the iPhone and have nice differences with some similarities, but the iPhone is still far easier to use and still superior.

and yes I do work for AT&T and can be somewhat bias, but at the same time I don't follow all the hype that Verizon spits out, because I have traveled a lot of places where my buddies who have had Verizon could not use their phone. I will say though Verizon is a good company to use and has been around forever, and is one reason why they have great coverage and have won the JD award for numerous years.

I love some of the things I have heard over the years being in the cell phone industry.

Verizon has 3g everywhere and more than anybody else.......In Reality yes they do, because they named their whole EVDO network 3G after the iphone 3G came out....AT&T 2.5 Edge network is just as fast as Verizon's EVDO 3G network, and AT&T 3G is much faster than Verizon's EVDO 3G. While 3G does improve coverage slightly, data speed is really the only thing measured by 2g to 3G.

AT&T has horrendous coverage.......OK I don't really see this, I can point out exactly where AT&T will not have coverage in Virginia, North Carolina, and West Virginia. In all honesty they are just as good as Verizon except for in Southwest Virginia, North East North Carolina and actually worse in WV. Maybe Verizon has superior coverage where you live. I know they do where I live, but there are just as many places where they don't have coverage either. Verizon tends to have more towers throughout the nation, because they can piggyback off pretty much any network provider since they are CDMA, but I hate to tell you but companies of the future will all be GSM. Verizon one day will have to convert over to that technology. No cell phone provider is perfect, Govt would never allow that kind of monopoly.

Android Phones are the iPhone killer.......Nah not really, they are a nice alternative to the iPhone and have nice differences with some similarities, but the iPhone is still far easier to use and still superior.

and yes I do work for AT&T and can be somewhat bias, but at the same time I don't follow all the hype that Verizon spits out, because I have traveled a lot of places where my buddies who have had Verizon could not use their phone. I will say though Verizon is a good company to use and has been around forever, and is one reason why they have great coverage and have won the JD award for numerous years.

All I know is my own experience and what people I know have told me. Here, Sprint sucks. If you get 1 mile off a main highway, there is no coverage. If you go in Walmart, there is no coverage...

I've had Alltell/Verizon for about 5 years now and the only place I have gone and didn't have coverage is Lake Nantahala.

I have several friends who have gotten an Iphone and went with AT&T because of it, and then took it back because they didn't have coverage in their house and in large buildings? Maybe it's just here, but that seems to be pretty normal from what I hear. The is no where that I've found within 100 miles of Wilmington that my Verizon phone doesn't have coverage.

Archived