• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RB Jonathan Brooks will not be ready to play until a month into the season

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I will never understand drafting a hurt RB on a 4 year deal that isnt going to contribute in year one instead of drafting a top prospect center.  Then you tell me we gave away 2 5ths to do it and you simply blow my mind.  This kid isnt some generational talent, why not simply draft a RB in the 2nd next year if you are not counting on him this season?

Morgan already has a lot of blemishes to his resume

As the board's biggest center fan, I think it's for the same reason we haven't seen many centers taken in the first cpl of rounds. The savings on second contracts vs. rookie deals is negligible on centers if taken before day three. If you're gonna go get one prior to then, then they'd better hit.

In the case of the team, Corbett/Christensen were likely looked at as "good enough" at center for the team to focus resources else where. A couple of guys will also still be on the roster next season that can possibly take over for Corbett or they can go sign one since they're taking their dead cap medicine now instead of later.

Giving away two fifths to secure the guy that the running game is gonna go thru and be the only RB under contract (while also being arguably the #1 RB in the draft) makes sense. If he were a generational talent, he would have gone in the 1st round... where he was projected to go prior to injury.

Hopefully that helps with understanding the moves. Doesn't mean they have to be accepted and applauded, of course.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If thats the case then why not simply draft a guy that can play next draft?  Brooks isnt a generational talent and lord knows we have learned our lesson on 2nd RB deals so we are punting on 1 of his 4 years here.  It literally makes zero sense

Because the guys that are expected to be able to perform right away go early and they felt like Brooks was the best selection for the team. It makes plenty of sense to me. Whether or not it's the right move we'll just have to wait and see.

Just now, Icege said:

Because the guys that are expected to be able to perform right away go early and they felt like Brooks was the best selection for the team. It makes plenty of sense to me. Whether or not it's the right move we'll just have to wait and see.

He is not going to contribute anything meaningful this season.  There is simply no way to make sense of that.  It doesnt matter what he was projected pre injury, the kid is injured and we drafted him.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

He is not going to contribute anything meaningful this season.  There is simply no way to make sense of that.  It doesnt matter what he was projected pre injury, the kid is injured and we drafted him.

What makes you so certain he won't contribute at all this season? He's due back in October and was a much more highly touted prospect than Hubbard and Sanders.

I don't expect him to suddenly become the lead horse, but with as much as the team is going to run the ball (and how injury riddled NFL rosters get) he's going to get opportunities to contribute.

• Beer 1

I view it as collateral damage from the Young pick. Propping him up was job 1. They’re trying to build an offense that 1 of 11 can run, while at the same time hoping it could become a sports car with the right spark plug. If he turns into that, they are happy. If not he isn’t taking the car with him. Swap in a better driver. 

As far as RB.. it’s the traditional thinking and is justified over and over, it is just solid thinking. You help the QB with the run game, better chance for him to succeed.

Then you look at the QB and his game is all inside a radius where a RB talented at receiving could be really helpful. It added value to their eyes. 

The 3 years down the road short term value thing... if you are secure in your job you don’t worry about it you will figure it out, and if you are insecure in your job you ignore it. They know they are getting 2025, they are shooting for that while doing CYA on helping this QB look like he is something. Or be something. 

Tightrope. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

Here is the patient and maybe practical view--since PUP players count against the active roster, we can wait until the first week of the season and put him on IR--that would give the Panthers a minimum of 4 weeks and a maximum of seven to ten weeks (estimated) to reinstate him.  I think this is the way to go because it does not take a roster spot---I doubt he would play much the first month of the season regardless. The downside is that you have to get down to your 53-man active roster before doing so, but a PS designation to be called up is how you would hope to handle that.You still have Hubbard, Sanders (behind a better OL), and Blackshear until then.  If Sanders or even Hubbard have good starts, they could maybe trade him for a pick next year when Brooks returns.  I think this would give Brooks the time he needs to heal thoroughly while learning the offense.   

• Beer 1

My mindset going into each draft is to draft o-line and receivers high until we have a functioning passing offense. To take a RB high was an odd choice, but it's no comparison to Fitt's franchise ruining blunders. 

The ultimate nightmare is if he ends up being injured a lot. At the time I wanted to keep CMC and trade Burns to the Rams instead, but we had a terrible GM.

I have no confidence whatsoever in this team, but I'm also ready for more Panthers football. We've missed out on so many playoffs that these off seasons feel longer. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I will never understand drafting a hurt RB on a 4 year deal that isnt going to contribute in year one instead of drafting a top prospect center.  Then you tell me we gave away 2 5ths to do it and you simply blow my mind.  This kid isnt some generational talent, why not simply draft a RB in the 2nd next year if you are not counting on him this season?

Morgan already has a lot of blemishes to his resume

Pretty much my thoughts.  The last thing a terrible rebuilding team needed was trading up for an early round luxury pick on an injured RB. 

We're going to know pretty quickly how this turns out when the season starts imo. If Corbett isn't good at Center or gets hurt again Morgan and Canales will look just as idiotic as Fitterer and  Rhule/Reich ever did.

I really like what the Steelers did is similar to what I wanted in our draft. We could've rebuilt our o line like this for the cheap, grabed a solid wr and MLB, and call it a day. Not rocket science.

Screenshot_20240728_174455_Chrome.jpg

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, pantherj said:

My mindset going into each draft is to draft o-line and receivers high until we have a functioning passing offense. To take a RB high was an odd choice, but it's no comparison to Fitt's franchise ruining blunders. 

The ultimate nightmare is if he ends up being injured a lot. At the time I wanted to keep CMC and trade Burns to the Rams instead, but we had a terrible GM.

I have no confidence whatsoever in this team, but I'm also ready for more Panthers football. We've missed out on so many playoffs that these off seasons feel longer. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Idk if that's going to work when you draft WRs like the panthers do in recent years. They think the big ass dudes who can't separate will all eventually turn into DK Metcalf or AJ Brown.  And it hasn't happened yet. They keep trying to draft the same fu cking dude over and over and expect different results.

Maybe draft a smaller shiftier speedster like Tank Dell next time.

I will definitely eat my words if Mingo, TMJ or Legette works out. But if we have another poo season and they all look like bums again, I'll have lost all faith in the panthers ability to evaluate WR talent and just assume DJ Moore was just a lucky dart throw .

• Pie 2

15 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Picking a RB coming off an ACL in the second round for a team that needs practically everything was such a head scratching luxury pick.

The Panthers are chasing 1999.  In 99 running backs were very important.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Icege said:

I think that while the team is looking to compete asap that they're also looking at a 2 - 3 year plan.

Year 1, evaluate Bryce.

Year 2, adjust based on previous season. If Bryce proves to the staff that he's the guy, then continue to build around him. If it's a shitshow, get ready to bring in a replacement (or at least bring in some competition).

Year 3, make the decision to push for playoffs or reset at QB.

I can see them expediting the plan if Bryce should light it up (or the reverse). With that mindset, the Brooks pick makes plenty of sense. If you want a player and they fill a need... which Brooks does as no RB on the roster is under contract next season. Doesn't sound like much of a luxury pick when the offense is going to be running as much as it is passing, but that's just my perspective.

I got the impression that this year's draft was looked at as "you should be ready to start next season" type of class for the team.

Very well said!

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

what if..........seems to be the strategy of our draft process

That's all we have at this point unless you can see anywhere we have proven anything else other than Derrick Brown is a very good player and Taylor Moron is consistent. Other than that all we have is a huge what if

47 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

The Panthers are chasing 1999.  In 99 running backs were very important.

It's like we never evolved with the game since the franchise was founded. We have consistently way over invested in RBs and off the ball LBs like it's still the '90s.

• Pie 1