• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Training Camp day 7

1 minute ago, countryboi said:

our own fans be praying for Bryce to fail, that poo is goofy and weird

It’s bizarre man. I’m an Auburn fan so I far from die hard Bryce, but obviously I want him to do good since he is a Panther now. If he struggles, it is what it is, but man some of these takes are baffling…

• Pie 4

meant to quote this:

Maybe that's why, but its a stupid reason IMO. 

You can say stupid yet haven’t seen the results. Okay. I do that too. But it looks like to me that Bryce is being treated as super fragile, mentally. He is getting all help. From excluding competition to hiring a coach to fix him, to giving him a plethora of weapons... it is quite a list. 

So they are doing all sort of over the top stuff to support him, but wouldn’t do center? There has to be a reason.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, strato said:

You can say stupid yet haven’t seen the results. Okay. I do that too. But it looks like to me that Bryce is being treated as super fragile, mentally. He is getting all help. From excluding competition to hiring a coach top fix him, to giving him a plethora of weapons... it is quite a list. 

So they are doing all sort of over the top stuff to support him, but wouldn’t do center? There has to be a reason.

I don't get it.  Center has been a need for more than 1 season and its been ignored.  It's not the flashiest pick to make, but you can pretty easily get a replacement level or better center in the late rounds of the draft.  None of the guys we take end up making the team anyways.  It doesn't make any sense.

It's just more of trying to swing the bat way too hard every single pitch.  When really we just need a single here.  You have to play the odds at a certain point.  The odds that Corbett alone is going to be the answer are slim.  The opportunity cost of taking a center is one of the other draft choices we made.  I don't think that's very much to pay for having another option on the roster.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan

He could be a stopgap. I don’t know either. It’s kind of like S for a few years or DT whoa we didn’t replace Jenkins for years. Until Gettleman’s first draft (Dave and me, that was the honeymoon).

Should also say, they seriously needed guards. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

23 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

You don't have to pray for something that's already happening.  Nobody wanted this.  He's gotta be able to push the ball down the field to be successful in the league.  That's it.

Can we see it in a few games first?

You writing him off before he even plays a game in his sophomore season.

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

They'd rather take some high potential prospect that won't play instead of a center in rounds 2-7.  The center would only need to be better than god awful to start.

Not taking a center in a pretty good draft for centers will end up biting them in the butt. Center was, and still is, a need. There's a reason Corbett never played center and that's because he's not good at the job.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I can’t remember if we went after any of the FA centers or not

I don't recall seeing any of them being mentioned in relation to the team other than speculation by the local media since the team didn't draft one. That said, the team did claim they went after guys that signed elsewhere.

• Pie 1

TMo the first player up

• Bantering about staying cool in the heat. Talked up the new cooling room. Feels like the peppermint patty commercials where you bite one and end up on a mountain top. Smells sometimes.
  • Even on vet days they're not "off." Gets mental reps in, visualizes techniques, helps younger guys. Has to find a way to get 1% better on those vet days.
  • Hunt's been great, loves working with him and thinks he's a tremendous football player. Building chemistry and excited to start games.
  • Clowney is a great player and Moton is getting better by playing against him. Appreciates him because the harder the practices are the easier Sundays will be. Great guy and it's a pleasure getting to know him. Hopes that he's helping Clowney get better. David Newton asked who he compares to, TMo responds that he's one of a kind. Has to anchor down for the bull rush, be ready for the finesse rush, etc.
  • Loves to see the growth with Bryce day in and day out. Says he's a tremendous leader that is stepping into the role, and TMo wants to help him + the OL so that they can help the team win. Bryce is making sure that everyone is focused and brings the energy up when it's low like he did today. It's different when it's from QB1, so he's happy to work with him.
  • Corbett is very smart and stepped "great" into the center position. Knows him pretty well and they call each other Salt and Pepper ("you can figure out why").
  • Message from DB + BY was to rock today and bring better energy. Can't afford to take days off and that was the biggest message because the first preseason game will be here before you know it and then the first regular season will be here before you know it. Can't take for granted an opportunity to get better at playing professional football like they dreamed of when they were kids.
  • Thinks the OL is coming along great. TMo is the type of guy that is never satisfied. If it's good, great. Let's build it to elite. "Rome wasn't build in a day." Probably the biggest OL he's played on. Added about 10  - 15 pounds. "Enough to anchor on these bull rushes!"
  • Seen a lot of growth and development with Icky. He comes in with the right mindset and has been a pleasure to work with. Excited to see him turn into the best version of himself.
  • Appreciates the OL coach's attention to detail. First time he's had a tackle-specifically coach. Appreciates the helping dialing in on the details.
  • Loves running the rock. Like practices, can't take opportunities to run the ball for granted. Want to make people pay up front in the run game play in and play out. Whatever play is called, have to execute to the best of his ability.
  • David Newton again. Asked to compare running to the ball to past years. TMo parried and said he was excited at the end of the day with whatever play is call and knows it's important to run the ball.
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 1

DJ Johnson the second player being interviewed

• Trying to live up to the expectations as a run stopper by attacking the weight room and scheme. Overall working to get more comfortable playing football at the NFL-level in both the run and pass game.
  • Getting a season under his belt and being around guys like Clowney to see how they work help a lot.
  • Always happy to hear good praise and trying to live up to it. Just keeping his head down and working hard.
  • Starting job isn't something he thinks about. That's the coaches' job. His job is to be the best that he has to be.
  • Super helpful to have a year of exp, especially not having to relearn the defense. Just has to tighten up on the details and being able to understand the defense + DC.
  • Asked about the difficulty of converting to TE since he had to do so before. It's tough, especially when it's something somebody has been doing their whole life. Remember what you learn from the other side of the ball and embrace the roll opposite in order to transition better.
  • Have grown closer thanks to more time and getting more time on the field in their defense. Trying to find some anime guys. His favorite right now is Overlord. One of the tackles is a big anime fan and just came back from a Japan trip. Wants to take a trip out there.
  • Pie 7

35 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Can we see it in a few games first?

You writing him off before he even plays a game in his sophomore season.

I didn’t write him off.  He’s gotta write himself back on after last year.  And if things look the same this year, he’s not on a good trajectory.  That’s all I’m saying.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

IMG_0814.jpeg.3d5537b829ae557111a84c2a635003ed.jpeg

Johnson has steps on this guy. There is no reason for this ball to be thrown so far outside. This should be a touchdown 

Some of you are so desperate to convince yourselves that Bryce is the guy. That’s fine. I get it. It sucks when the Panthers suck. But don’t get all pissy when obvious things get pointed out

I really don't know that Bryce will be the guy but you taking a snapshot of where is open right before he catches it instead of where he was open when Bryce was actually releasing it tells that you're just looking to hate.  He wasn't that open when Bryce was releasing it.  Bryce made sure to throw it where only his guy could catch it and he did.  I'm definitely not sold on Bryce but I'm not bias enough to spin everything to fit my perspective.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I didn’t write him off.  He’s gotta write himself back on after last year.  And if things look the same this year, he’s not on a good trajectory.  That’s all I’m saying.

You have to pretend he’s the second coming of Christ or you’re not a real fan