• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Aerosmith calls it a career

jayboogieman

First time I saw them live was 1975 at the San Diego Sports Arena on the "Toys in the Attic" tour. I was lucky enough to see them a total of 5 times over the decades, the last being in Greensboro in 2006 when Lenny Kravitz opened for them.

Had tickets to the latest tour last September in Raleigh when Tyler's vocal cords went out. I felt like they wouldn't come back after that and got a refund, and never really considered buying tickets for the rescheduled show.

Their first 4 albums are as good as one could ask for from any band. Their self-titled first album (also known as the Dream On album) in 1973 has some very underrated tracks in Mama Kin and One Way Street. Although the 1975 Toys in the Attic might be their early best with most people, I actually thought 1976's Rocks was better and 1973's Get your Wings to be the best of the 4.

Tyler has even admitted the next 8 albums were all drug-induced, under the influence contracted albums that had little to rave about. Their live albums were nothing special, but their commercial/radio successes came much later in their career. I'll still take their first 4 records over anything else they've done since.

• Pie 2

Too many good memories.

But them hanging up their spurs as a team and not going on without Steven is a testament to their bond.

Yeah, I know they are all ancient and have all the money they need but something about seeing Roger and Pete performing without Keith/Kenny, or John was just kinda pathetic.

• Pie 1

It was a good career.  You can't deny their ability to stay relevant through many decades.  I remember how big they were in the 90s with Get a Grip and all the hits off that thing.  That was also the peak of MTV so the exposure from the videos was huge.  Also the Wayne's World appearance.  Then of course Don't Want to Miss a Thing was everywhere years later.  

• Pie 1

On 8/6/2024 at 8:20 AM, Zaximus said:

It was a good career.  You can't deny their ability to stay relevant through many decades.  I remember how big they were in the 90s with Get a Grip and all the hits off that thing.  That was also the peak of MTV so the exposure from the videos was huge.  Also the Wayne's World appearance.  Then of course Don't Want to Miss a Thing was everywhere years later.  

them staying relevant by repeating the same song every album was lazy and brilliant at the same time. they were able to create a reproduceable catchy song that kept drawing people in and that kept people interested in the rest of their catalog. and it was a great song. i remember the first version of it, Angel, and not only was it really catchy and fun to cover but it had its place in a few little relationships i was in '87-'89.

Being from Massachusetts, Aerosmith was pretty much played out through my high school years. The later stuff just sucked balls except for when they did the rap song. “Love in an Elevator”?

When I was a little kid, I stayed at a house on a lake in New Hampshire, across from where Aerosmith was playing all summer while writing Toys in the Attic. That’s why I’m so badass. They really were the right act at the right time.

• 2 weeks later...