• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fan Fest 2024 Thread

I think DC will need to dial up deep shots as the #1 option. Unfortunately that's not a pass Bryce seems to excel at as a #3+. When he does take a shot late, he rushes it and doesn't step into the pass in those cases. Often leading to an overthrow /inaccurate. Seems to be just putting it out there for the receivers to go get instead of dropping it in the basket like he does if its his first read. Panthers may not have that receiver to go get it yet. Hopefully XL as the season progresses. Bryce does have weaknesses. As does every QB in the league. 

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would bet dollars to donuts that we draft a qb in the 2025 draft.  Not sure what round but something tells me DC would like to have a dude in his mold learning the craft.  It would be interesting to know what DC thinks is the ideal qb prospect is and what he looks like.

If it's up to me I'm drafting a developmental QB no matter what next season. When and where that QB is drafted depends on how the season plays out.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

2.7 seconds is enough time to take a deep shot period. Have you not ever seen a QB drop back and let it rip? I’m pointing out the fact that the average time to throw is 2.4/2.5 and you’re pretending like 2.7 prevents us from doing anything other than short passes. It doesn’t. 

As @MasterAwesome stated that would be a lob pass and hoping your WR can beat his coverage and get to that spot in time.  Constantly pressuring a QB usually results in quick small to intermediate passes though.  We 100% have to take these shots and I think you will see some PA, rollouts etc to give them some extra time to develop, but I just don't think that was on the early list of things they are working on.  Slowick did a lot of this with Stroud last year.  Drop back and roll outs while we WRs got well into their deep routes before he would chunk it downfield.  As I stated previously, I agree that we need to see a respectable passing game this year.  If not then our QB situation needs to be reevaluated.

28 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would bet dollars to donuts that we draft a qb in the 2025 draft.  Not sure what round but something tells me DC would like to have a dude in his mold learning the craft.  It would be interesting to know what DC thinks is the ideal qb prospect is and what he looks like.

That's the good news.  DC has no connection to Bryce.  If he struggles again I would imagine our coach gets to acquire his guy next season.  If it's bad I wouldn't be surprised if it's a first rounder.  

52 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

That's true but I also hear so many of the usual suspects complaining on those deep passes that the ball "floats in the air" too long.  That's the only way to throw <2.7 second deep shots.  There's no such thing as a <2.7 second deep bullet pass considering the receiver needs time to actually run down the field.

Of course. Any deep ball will most likely have some air under it (obviously). Bryce doesn’t really have the arm strength to wait 3-4 seconds then take a deep shot. He’s more of a drop back, gather and launch it. Which at Bama was enough time for a guy like Jamo to create separation. He needs to understand NFL open is different. 

Also most of Young’s deep shots in college were in the middle of the field where Jamo usually had a couple steps on his guy. We saw Young struggle a lot last year when targeting guys down the sidelines and often didn’t even give his guy a chance.

Bryce hasn’t had a guy like XL before. If Bryce is waiting on XL to get “Bama open” he’ll be waiting forever. I really just want to start seeing him throw balls to XL and give him a chance. Allow him to use his body like he did with that one pass from Dalton in camp that the Panthers put out on Twitter. You might as well start working on the chemistry part during camp when interceptions don’t matter

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Russell Wilson prayer balls, is what we are going to have to pattern after. See how Legette can do in that role.

Run down the field with your eyes on the sky, if you see a ball up there go get it. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Of course. Any deep ball will most likely have some air under it (obviously). Bryce doesn’t really have the arm strength to wait 3-4 seconds then take a deep shot. He’s more of a drop back, gather and launch it. Which at Bama was enough time for a guy like Jamo to create separation. He needs to understand NFL open is different. 

Also most of Young’s deep shots in college were in the middle of the field where Jamo usually had a couple steps on his guy. We saw Young struggle a lot last year when targeting guys down the sidelines and often didn’t even give his guy a chance.

Bryce hasn’t had a guy like XL before. If Bryce is waiting on XL to get “Bama open” he’ll be waiting forever. I really just want to start seeing him throw balls to XL and give him a chance. Allow him to use his body like he did with that one pass from Dalton in camp that the Panthers put out on Twitter. You might as well start working on the chemistry part during camp when interceptions don’t matter

Yeah the only way BY can get better at the deep ball is practicing it, I hope it's not a preseason full of coddling for the 4th year in a row.   

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

That's true but I also hear so many of the usual suspects complaining on those deep passes that the ball "floats in the air" too long.  That's the only way to throw <2.7 second deep shots.  There's no such thing as a <2.7 second deep bullet pass considering the receiver needs time to actually run down the field.

The average pass velocity in the NFL is 54mph.  This translates to roughly 1.5 seconds of air time to travel 40 yards.  When you add 1.5 seconds of air time to 2.7 of pocket time that average pass will reach a 40 yard depth at 4.2 seconds more or less depending on arm strength and trajectory. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

If it's up to me I'm drafting a developmental QB no matter what next season. When and where that QB is drafted depends on how the season plays out.

If it's up to me I'm dumping Plummer as soon as someone better hits the waiver wire in a couple weeks

• Beer 2

18 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

The average pass velocity in the NFL is 54mph.  This translates to roughly 1.5 seconds of air time to travel 40 yards.  When you add 1.5 seconds of air time to 2.7 of pocket time that average pass will reach a 40 yard depth at 4.2 seconds more or less depending on arm strength and trajectory. 

I follow your logic but that's an overly simplistic and reductive approach.  It doesn't really make sense to just apply a blanket average velocity to every type of NFL throw.  Certain passes are going to require a bullet pass into a tight window.  Certain passes are going to require touch.  Launching a 50 yard pass downfield to an Adam Thielen in 2.7 seconds of pocket time is going to require a lofty rainbow pass with a lot less velocity.  Even simply swapping Thielen for a receiver like Ja'Marr Chase is going to drastically change the velocity requirement on that throw.  A metric like "average velocity" when accounting for every single type of NFL throw is pretty meaningless.

31 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It makes too much sense not to, especially if you are an org that is good at working with QBs.

Which I think the new staff was hired because they show that ability. That is where it can help you.