• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fan Fest 2024 Thread

18 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Same. 

There’s no way they’re looking to bring in anyone that could potentially threaten for the starting job. Which basically means they need to find a Plummer-level type or the 3 guys you mentioned.

I’d personally like to see them bring in someone a bit more mobile. 

I know a guy

cam newton GIF

24 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Plummer is supposed to get lots of reps during these pre season games. I don’t think we’re in a position to just be wasting reps after last season. Especially at QB

I really wished they would’ve made a move for Howell or Fields

Bryce needs those reps.  The whole first team offense does.  Sounds like a waste of time again.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Still waiting on a detailed write up but this was before his last drive where he also didn't go deep. Sounded like he hit some 15ish yarders

This is a struggle. You don’t have to do it often, but you have to at a minimum make the defense account for it to make them cover the whole field. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Plummer is supposed to get lots of reps during these pre season games. I don’t think we’re in a position to just be wasting reps after last season. Especially at QB

I really wished they would’ve made a move for Howell or Fields

Herbert is out for a couple weeks as well so we have some competition in the FA QB market of course. Joe Person added Kellen Mond to the fa qb list

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

This is a struggle. You don’t have to do it often, but you have to at a minimum make the defense account for it to make them cover the whole field. 

he could be the most accurate qb in nfl history but if he cannot throw downfield and make defenses respect his arm this will all be for naught

• Pie 3

13 hours ago, methodtoll said:

Back from Fan Fest so I figured I would give my take. Keep in mind that I did not get a chance to observe every position group so please forgive me as I also had a very tired 4 year old that just started pre- K today... 

Practice, of course, started with individual group sections. In the corner I was in, I was able to get a good look at the offensive/defensive line group. The standout of that group was, believe it or not, DJ Johnson. Johnson was fairly quick off the line on several occasions.

The scrimmage part came later where it was #1 Offense vs. #1 Defense to start out. I can tell you it was not the best day for the offense as they only produced one drive that lead to a TD. There were a couple of bright spots with Bryce threading the needle to Johnson up the middle for a big gain and then later again a nice sideline catch from Johnson as well. 

Admittingly, I did not watch much of the 2nd/3rd string play because, at this point in the scrimmage, my son was extremely tired and was ready to go home lol. I did make it to the end of the scrimmage portion where it ended with a TD drive lead by Jack Plummer.... I cannot remember who caught it but it was a pretty nice fade to the back corner of the end zone.

Some other brief notes:

- Andy Dalton did not play this evening... I read later he had a injury which is why Plummer got a lot of reps.

- Legette struggled this evening... Missed a few drops and I don't even remember seeing him play a lot during the scrimmage. 

- Dave Canales is a genuinely nice guy and, while I didn't get an autograph from him, he was gracious enough to say hi to my son and I.  

- David and Nichole Tepper was in the house, as expected. Nichole was definitely active on the field talking to players and personnel but I hardly saw Dave.

- The crowd was actually pretty decent considering that Fan Fest was at Clemson this year. I was totally expecting it to be a fairly quiet turnout but surprisingly, more than expected. The weather did actually pass over before the start of Fan Fest so it turned out to be nice and overcast but still quite humid.

That's all I can really report on, I will try to post some photos and videos tomorrow but for now, it is lights out for me! 

Peace!

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Much appreciated!

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Martin said:

It's all just a hoax so they can come out with nothing but deep shots week 1.

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Martin said:

You've gotta think Canales would step in and "demand" (for lack of a better word) some deep ball attempts during practice if it's a glaring pattern with Bryce.  There's no way fans notice it and Canales doesn't, and Canales doesn't seem like the type of coach to coddle Bryce.  He's already been about as critical as a coach can be towards his starting QB: called him "streaky" one practice, and "good, not great" last night.  Which makes me wonder if it's by design for some reason...or if in cases like last night, the o-line was just getting manhandled all night (with Zavala and Traore starting) which in turn created a lack of opportunity.

If it's genuinely just Bryce being extremely conservative, then I almost put at least equal blame on Canales for not intervening since practice is THE time to be incorporating downfield shots for a QB who lacked that weapon in his arsenal last season.  Especially if we're to assume, as some people are, that Canales' offense leans on a healthy dose of downfield passing as with Baker and Geno in previous years.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

You've gotta think Canales would step in and "demand" (for lack of a better word) some deep ball attempts during practice if it's a glaring pattern with Bryce.  There's no way fans notice it and Canales doesn't, and Canales doesn't seem like the type of coach to coddle Bryce.  He's already been about as critical as a coach can be towards his starting QB: called him "streaky" one practice, and "good, not great" last night.  Which makes me wonder if it's by design for some reason...or if in cases like last night, the o-line was just getting manhandled all night (with Zavala and Traore starting) which in turn created a lack of opportunity.

If it's genuinely just Bryce being extremely conservative, then I almost put at least equal blame on Canales for not intervening since practice is THE time to be incorporating downfield shots for a QB who lacked that weapon in his arsenal last season.  Especially if we're to assume, as some people are, that Canales' offense leans on a healthy dose of downfield passing as with Baker and Geno in previous years.

I think his main focus is on the 2.7 or less. Once we get comfortable with that, the playbook can open up. I feel like just 2 practices ago they were throwing up deep passes though? He even hit DJ on the 55 yards pass plus several tweets about deep passes. It was one of the ones @Icege was sharing with us. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think his main focus is on the 2.7 or less. Once we get comfortable with that, the playbook can open up. I feel like just 2 practices ago they were throwing up deep passes though? He even hit DJ on the 55 yards pass plus several tweets about deep passes. It was one of the ones @Icege was sharing with us. 

this reads eerily like a post from the 2023 preseason, the excuses were flowing like wine early on as well

• Pie 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

this reads eerily like a post from the 2023 preseason, the excuses were flowing like wine early on as well

2 days ago this wasn’t an issue. Now we have a FanFest with no deep bombs and you come prancing out with the negativity. Just relax and see what happens. He has a decent supporting cast now. If he struggles again then Canales will bring in his guy. I’m just not sounding any alarms nor am I crowning him ready to be our franchise guy. It’s a wait and see approach. 

• Beer 1