• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic FS - Bryce Conversation

There was in game stuff last year where the WRs were blamed for stuff and it was no different; you don’t know what they were trying (or supposed) to do. Where the ball went and where the WR went weren’t that close.

Edited by strato

1 hour ago, strato said:

There was in game stuff last year where the WRs were blamed for stuff and it was no different; you don’t know what they were trying (or supposed) to do. Where the ball went and where the WR went weren’t that close.

Agreed. It’s hard to tell who is at fault without knowing the play. There are expectations like throwing into double coverage or WRs giving up on plays, but my point is those deep passes are typically a timing/communication issue especially in practice. 

• Beer 1

I like Bryce Young. I think he's a good guy, he was great at Alabama and not all the problems last year were his fault by far. The predictable routes and poor pass protection made him look worse than he should've.

But I very much doubt he's physically equipped to be a franchise QB, and we're probably about to get a heavy dose of reality in the next few weeks.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, KSpan said:

Yup, it was the ref that threw the inexplicable interception in overtime and who prevented the Saints from having the lead in the first place at the end of regulation when they kicked two red zone field goals.

I get the sentiment overall and it was a particularly egregious call, but no game ever really comes down to a single play. The Saints kicked 3 field goals of 37, 31, and 29 yard field goals while scoring 23 points. Not a good enough margin in the playoffs and it bit them.

That was passing interference on the Rams no ifs ands or buts lol

16 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

That was passing interference on the Rams no ifs ands or buts lol

Where did I dispute that and, if I had, how does it invalidate the point? 

I didn't, and it doesn't. 

Regardless, if this is Bryce's trajectory then it's not going to fly.

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Where did I dispute that and, if I had, how does it invalidate the point? 

I didn't, and it doesn't. 

Regardless, if this is Bryce's trajectory then it's not going to fly.

Fair point I’m just talking about the saints in general. You can knit pick but the Saints probably would have whomped the patriots in the Super Bowl. If you want to make it panthers specific it’s about the team and not just the QB.

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Fair point I’m just talking about the saints in general. You can knit pick but the Saints probably would have whomped the patriots in the Super Bowl. If you want to make it panthers specific it’s about the team and not just the QB.

Perhaps, but they weren't good enough to overcome the Rams and one very bad call, so seems reasonable that the Patriots would likely have had their number as well. 

Regarding the Panthers, this thread is about the QB and as the QB goes, so goes the team. That's just the reality of the modern NFL. I don't see it in Bryce to elevate the offense enough to win Super Bowls... Brees had the perfect situation on his side in 2009 and couldn't in any other year either.

Thinking about it, NFCS wasn’t stacked a lot of years. Division familiarity probably helped make the contests more competitive, and served to downplay, or maybe obscure, the competitive gap between top and bottom. 

11 minutes ago, strato said:

Thinking about it, NFCS wasn’t stacked a lot of years. Division familiarity probably helped make the contests more competitive, and served to downplay, or maybe obscure, the competitive gap between top and bottom. 

Thats the case for all divisions in the NFL. It’s why division games in Vegas never have big spreads

9 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Thats the case for all divisions in the NFL. It’s why division games in Vegas never have big spreads

I am saying that in my general memory there have not been a lot of years where people saw Two main contenders in the NFCS, it was usually one team favored over three also rans. Perception wise, looking at preseason analysis.

And other divisions often have two strong teams at the top (but we usually don’t). I guess was supposed to be my point. That I didn’t really make. 

It would affect how people view a team IMO. Oh they suck that division sucks... but it can be misleading, all I am saying. or trying to say..

Edited by strato

2 hours ago, Joe Bear said:

I like Bryce Young. I think he's a good guy, he was great at Alabama and not all the problems last year were his fault by far. The predictable routes and poor pass protection made him look worse than he should've.

But I very much doubt he's physically equipped to be a franchise QB, and we're probably about to get a heavy dose of reality in the next few weeks.

Another season DOA

I realize Bryce did not play well last season but besides a very few who the hell did? If the o-line can block even decently, I want to hold out judgement and see how he does when he is not running for his life or being knocked on his ass every play. How will he do with adequate blocking and not a bunch of turnstiles like last season? I have no idea but I'm going to be hopeful again especially with a new coaching staff who seems like they actually give a crap and are motivated unlike the losers last year. Your leaders set the tone and can make all.teh differences in the world. Thee leaders seem to be very motivated unlike last season. Combine that with a little blocking and who knows what we end up with but I'm hopeful of something positive moving in the right direction.

5 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Highly doubt it. The Saints got the calls for the first 3 quarters of that game. More specifically this blatant facemask that wasn't called on Jared Goff (Timestamped).

They get that flag and it's 1st and goal at the 1 with Todd Gurley in the backfield. 4 point swing in all likelihood. The whole "Saints got robbed!" narrative in 2018 is a crock of poo. Brees just failed to deliver in the clutch like usual. 

Made more laughable when you consider this is the same team that benefitted from outlandish officiating in the 2009 NFC Title game. They've no right to complain about anything after that even assuming their complaints were legitimate and not just a fanbase whining over losing.

• Beer 2