• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic FS - Bryce Conversation

14 minutes ago, RevJ said:

Sorry if this was already mentioned.  Justin Herbert is 6'6".  He was talking the other day about how he was having times when it was hard to see over his 6'8" lineman.   Evidently, he recognizes there's a struggle in seeing over/around OL but what does he know? 

Do we even know he's really 6'6" though?  I would have to see a picture of him standing next to maybe a mid-size tree or a Stop sign for reference to be convinced.  We all know the official Combine measurements are a lie, considering Bryce is actually 5'2, not 5'10.

It is going to only go two ways from the pocket. Or three if leaving it is a thing but it has to be throwing to a spot, blind, based on timing. Or throwing lanes.

Spacing stuff to designate one for a given play or just a spread out in general way to provide a lane to throw through. 

3 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Isn't that why they're taught to throw to spots?😮

I would think so. I remember Steve Young talking about not being able to see but knowing Rice would be at his spot. It’s amazing they don’t throw more interceptions honestly…

• Pie 5

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I would think so. I remember Steve Young talking about not being able to see but knowing Rice would be at his spot. It’s amazing they don’t throw more interceptions honestly…

Rice was always open.  Nobody could cover him so that’s a pretty easy receiver to trust.

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Do we even know he's really 6'6" though?  I would have to see a picture of him standing next to maybe a mid-size tree or a Stop sign for reference to be convinced.  We all know the official Combine measurements are a lie, considering Bryce is actually 5'2, not 5'10.

Young is a legit 5’10 but he plays like he’s 5’2.

Like Cam said, there are game changers and there are game managers. From what I’ve seen so far, Bryce will never be the former, and he can only hope to be half of the latter. 

He’s supposed to be Skynet according to the S2 but I never saw it. 

• Pie 3

I think what most of this boils down to is the following: 

when people scouted Bryce they saw a very high floor prospect secondary to his intelligence, diligence and character. They saw flashes of elite escapability and playmaking. 

What people didnt realize is the following

Due to his lack of arm strength in size Bryce actually has a very narrow path to success in the league. Not because of his height but his escapability has not been the same as it was in college against better players. Further he doesn't have elite arm talent to rip throws to mitigate this. (see Matthew Stafford- not an escape artist but can make any throw on the field)

So what we were sold is someone who has a very high floor with potential to be elite, when in reality Bryce looks more like a QB that unless everything else is good around him: WR talent, play calling and protection; he struggles to elevate talent around him. 

I'm not saying Bryce won't have a decent career. I think Jared Goff is the best possible outcome for him though. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

On 7/30/2024 at 3:30 PM, Bear Hands said:

Good show this week.  Nothing we don't know, but good content nonetheless because this perspective isn't typically coming from the wider-known publications:  

Bryce Young

• When you watch him, it feels like he gets it.  Mentally, he's there
  • He has good-enough, "better-than-Tua" arm strength
  • But a big problem is you simply saw none of the traits that make a top-10 QB 
  • This is what I thought was an interesting point -> RE: HIS CEILING: People point to the GB game, yes, he made 3-4 REALLY good plays, but still made a lot of bad plays in that game. Bright spots and silver linings are there but the ceiling is apparent.  If he's already good at the things you can change, but not there with what you can't change, then it's an issue. How can he realistically get better?
  • Out of structure was his forte in school, overall pocket movement, his "feel" for the position.  When you have those skills, you still need the stature to capitalize on them in the NFL..problem is the physical limitations cap the ability to weaponize his traits as a QB at this level.  "This is why thresholds for size exist"
  • He was sold as a "making magic" type, but he simply looks moderately useful.  
  • If you're going to be that small and skinny, you need to have that added component (I.E. Kyler with his legs and arm).  
  • At the end of the day, you can't properly see what's going on until you have a better supporting cast.  They think we made the right moves to see what he's got this season.  This is not a bad situation anymore.  So what you see will be telling of who he is and can become.  
  • If we have a run game that fuels the offense, Bryce could thrive.   Maybe it gives Bryce the room to excel.  

First 11-ish minutes of the clip:

I get what they're trying to say as far as he's good at the things you can teach and not good at the things you can't, but that doesn't mean he can't improve a lot.  The game clearly seemed too fast for him last year.  If it slowed down,  what happens if he becomes great at the things you can't teach instead of good?  Realistically I don't think he can be a top 10 qb ever either, but there are definite improvements that can be made where his ceiling is a lot higher than some people think.   I'm not saying he will ever reach that ceiling necessarily though.

Are y'all not seeing what I'm seeing in practice? They're completing passes on a healthy Jaycee Horn. On Thielen's sideline catch, there was no separation. The throw created separation, not the route. On DJohnson's route over the middle, there was no separation over Horn. The throw was placed perfectly to allow the completion. Young has a long way to go to prove he can be a franchise QB, but some of y'all don't get to change your position later on if/when he turns it around. Your takes and strongly definitive negative opinions leave no room for correction. None. 

• Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

… but some of y'all don't get to change your position later on if/when he turns it around. Your takes and strongly definitive negative opinions leave no room for correction. None. 

The economist Paul Samuelson famously said, “When facts or events change, I change my mind.  What do you do, sir?”

I think we all want to see a better Bryce this season.  Better play will change many opinions.

• Beer 2