• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers great Steve Smith Sr. reveals he worked with Jonathan Mingo during offseason

14 hours ago, CRA said:

I'm not buying into Steve Smith is about to make something out of someone. 

89 has been around a LONG time.  He isn't the WR whisperer/mentor.  Put this under the been here and heard that before pile. 

He was high on DJ and he turned out pretty darn good. So you would rather Steve Smith not attempt to help at all? Your thinking him even trying to help Mingo is a bad thing? Really makes no sense to me how this could be a bad thing at all and he could only offer Mingo help. Just because Steve Smith has not trained up a Jerry Rice does not make his input worthless I wouldn't think.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I don't think he has to be.  I'm also not saying Mingo will suddenly be a Pro Bowler.  Mingo was a rookie last year, out of position in a terrible offense.  Waking up early and working out with a HOF WR can't really hurt.  If he can pick up any pointers, work habits, or even that attitude I am all for it.  

This. What the hell and why would anyone have any problems what so ever with a one time dominant WR who had the most ferocious attitude I've ever seen on a WR helping a young WR he believes in? It can be nothing but a benefit either way.

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, Manna said:

So Smitty is teaching Mingo how to bail out his QB? 

Love Jake but Smith bailed him out more often than not 

That’s the most important skill he could teach him on this current Panthers roster. 

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, CRA said:

I'm not buying into Steve Smith is about to make something out of someone. 

89 has been around a LONG time.  He isn't the WR whisperer/mentor.  Put this under the been here and heard that before pile. 

If anything he was prob a detriment to young guys at times. I doubt he’s ever really tried or synced up with WRs before. This could be the first time ever since he’s been retired. 

I think that Drew Carter trained with him but that’s all I remember. Could be wrong, haven’t been paying close attention these last few years hah.

No disrespect to Smitty, but he doesn't have a great track record working with young receivers.  He didn't help Keary Colbert, Drew Carter, and Dwayne Jarrett.  Now, I don't blame him for their failures, but lets just say he couldn't get them to rise to the occasion.  Will Mingo succeed under his tutelage?  Maybe, maybe not.  I say it depends only if Mingo is actually a good receiver and is bringing talent to the table.  I don't believe Smitty can make a receiver great.

The difference is Smitty when he was here was different from Smitty now. Now he's throwing knowledge and isn't emotionally tied to it. Back then, I could see him trying to help a guy and if he didn't get it, getting pissed because he realized he'd have to carry the load longer because his help is trash.

Smitty’s been wrong about guys before but I don’t remember him ever working with any of them this closely. It’ll be a nice trial run of him as a WR coach.

I hope none of you naysayers were the ones beating the drum for Frank Reich. Our GOAT WR deserves at least that much grace. 

• Pie 1