• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers great Steve Smith Sr. reveals he worked with Jonathan Mingo during offseason

He liked DJ Moore (didn’t Smitty say "they finally replaced me” when he was selected?) and I believe tried to mentor him some but DJ, to me, sounded like he was okay passing that up. So I don’t know how much mentoring was done. 

This was from stuff we all would have read, no deep undercover info.

Maybe someone else remembers. I don’t remember, specifically, enough to chase it down to the source.

I agree that it is hard to see any harm being done. Just, as I said, you need to respect Rob Moore and not contradict his teaching. 

• Pie 1

22 hours ago, Matthias said:

No disrespect to Smitty, but he doesn't have a great track record working with young receivers.  He didn't help Keary Colbert, Drew Carter, and Dwayne Jarrett.  Now, I don't blame him for their failures, but lets just say he couldn't get them to rise to the occasion.  Will Mingo succeed under his tutelage?  Maybe, maybe not.  I say it depends only if Mingo is actually a good receiver and is bringing talent to the table.  I don't believe Smitty can make a receiver great.

Lol you are speaking of his time in the NFL.... when they were competition.

When is the last time Smitty hit someone? You can change that behavior. 

I did. No sucker punching but I had no limits if stuff got physical. Brain turned off or something. You can fix that. I did and I think Smitty has. 

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, strato said:

When is the last time Smitty hit someone? You can change that behavior. 

I did. No sucker punching but I had no limits if stuff got physical. Brain turned off or something. You can fix that. I did and I think Smitty has. 

Very true. Most times it's trauma responses that you have to deal with or learn to accept. Plus less testosterone as you age. That ish is a killer. 

• Beer 1

On 8/2/2024 at 2:46 PM, strato said:

He liked DJ Moore (didn’t Smitty say "they finally replaced me” when he was selected?) and I believe tried to mentor him some but DJ, to me, sounded like he was okay passing that up. So I don’t know how much mentoring was done. 

This was from stuff we all would have read, no deep undercover info.

Maybe someone else remembers. I don’t remember, specifically, enough to chase it down to the source.

I agree that it is hard to see any harm being done. Just, as I said, you need to respect Rob Moore and not contradict his teaching. 

He was high on DJ but they didn't work closely together. There's that clip from All or Nothing where you can see their personalities clash. Smitty is trying to light a fire under him but DJ's laid back, doesn't really respond to his buttons getting pushed. Similar players completely different personalities.

It sounds like Mingo's going out of his way to do extra work with Smith so I'm optimistic. I like seeing players emotionally invested in being great. There's been a severe lack of hunger on the team since Cam left.

Edited by MechaZain
  • Pie 1