• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers great Steve Smith Sr. reveals he worked with Jonathan Mingo during offseason

After last season, Mingo could use all the help he could get.  If I were in his shoes, and I had access to a HOF WR, I'd sure as heck take advantage of it!

At the end of the day though, it's all about what Mingo does during the regular season.  So far, he's looked much better in camp, which for the nothing it's worth, is a positive to me.

It's not uncommon for WRs to struggle as rookies and get better in the proceeding years.  I wouldn't be surprised if Legette has a similar year where he flashes as a rookie, has some manufactured plays, and has a few bright spots.

I'm looking forward to the season for sure.  Let's see how Dave Canales can run the team and offense.  Hopefully we're at least more fun to watch than last year.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

If was a billionaire owner, I'd have a player development coach for every single player throughout the entire year. Just to work on fundamentals and body training. "Too many voices in the ear" these coaches would only work on fundamentals and would directly report to the position coach. I always found it kind of odd that the team leaves the players alone for half the year, I know there's player's association rules but you'd think they'd come to a compromise on that

1 hour ago, CRA said:

problem solved! 

Steve Smith's mentorship has provided us with a long list of great Panther WRs. 

1.  Uh....

Smitty has made numerous statements in retirement leading me to believe that he regrets a lot of that stuff and wishes he had been a better mentor and teammate. Having a gigantic chip on your shoulder as a player comes with positives and negatives. The positives were all the highlights on the field. The negatives were being an overall bad teammate. He was so competitive that he basically saw the other receivers in the locker room as opponents. They were competing with him for targets and he treated them accordingly. I honestly think that Moose who mentored him was the only fellow receiver he ever saw differently.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, PanthersGTI said:

Not really the same. When he was playing he wasn't on the "let me help you" mindset. He was on the "Im the big dog, fug you" mindset. Which he needed to be. So honestly the results are TBD but looking damn good so far. 

pretty sure we have heard similar stuff said about Shi Smith and some other guys since 89 has been retired. 

IMO, it's never the greats the really do well in those roles.   

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

pretty sure we have heard similar stuff said about Shi Smith and some other guys since 89 has been retired. 

IMO, it's never the greats the really do well in those roles.   

“If a man wants nothing, I can give him nothing.”

Steve may give lots of help, but it’s still on who’s receiving the help. 

NFL is hard. Not everyone makes it. 

Mingo working with Steve at least shows there is effort there. Better than nothing. 

• Pie 1

If Smitty can help him with the head games and mental side of competing against CBs, do it. He was an expert at getting them out of their game. 

And in general, he knows a trick or two. Probably just a good thing that Mingo has a guy that good as a mentor. Just need to make sure Smitty and Rob Moore are good and on the same page. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, amcoolio said:

If was a billionaire owner, I'd have a player development coach for every single player throughout the entire year. Just to work on fundamentals and body training. "Too many voices in the ear" these coaches would only work on fundamentals and would directly report to the position coach. I always found it kind of odd that the team leaves the players alone for half the year, I know there's player's association rules but you'd think they'd come to a compromise on that

Half the year? February and March and half of July are the only months they aren't doing anything 

Edited by csx

3 hours ago, amcoolio said:

The CBA prohibits that. Players don’t want to be expected to train year round. Honestly a good thing from a longevity perspective.

Most good players hire their own coaches or go to specialized schools in the off season.

1 hour ago, Ghostofdelhomme said:

Steve Smith cannot teach junkyard dog and snatching the ball. Does Legette have it?

You mean Mingo?

I do think of Legette as a junkyard dog though.