• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers great Steve Smith Sr. reveals he worked with Jonathan Mingo during offseason

Article:

A franchise legend seems to have taken a youngster under his wing…or cape.

Carolina Panthers great Steve Smith Sr. was a guest on Monday’s episode of The Clubhouse with Kyle Bailey. The team’s all-time leading receiver was asked about Jonathan Mingo and his hot start to this year’s training camp.

“I don’t need to watch film on Jonathan Mingo the way y’all watchin’ it,” Smith Sr. told host Kyle Bailey. “Me and Jonathan put some work in this offseason. So he was gettin’ some work in with me seven o’clock in the morning, outside at the end of the week after he was already workin’. We were doin’ a lot of work together.

“So this is not high on the guy. This is Steve Smith and Jonathan Mingo are adjoined to the hip. He calls me, I call him. When I see something or he has a question, there’s an open line of communications. This Batman and Robin talkin’, and tryin’ to figure out how can we corral Joker—which is the corners he’ll be goin’ against this year.”

While this reveal may have been somewhat surprising, Smith’s affinity for Mingo certainly isn’t. When Mingo was drafted by the Panthers last spring, owner David Tepper told the then 22-year-old that he was heavily endorsed by No. 89 . . .

Hopefully, the work pays off for Smith Sr. and Mingo—because sometimes, people deserve to have their faith rewarded.

www.pantherswire.usatoday.com

IMG_0195.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 8

I'm not surprised. Smitty was high on the Mingo pick and he's said that the way we used him last year minimized his strengths and basically forced him to play to his weaknesses. I don't see how it can possibly be seen as a negative for him to be working with the Panthers' GOAT WR.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

Is it too much to ask for us to get 1 quality WR in the draft after spending 2 2nds and a 1st in the last 4 drafts? Still makes you wonder WTF we traded away DJ on a cheap extension just to use a 2nd and 1st to replace him.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

problem solved! 

Steve Smith's mentorship has provided us with a long list of great Panther WRs. 

1.  Uh....

Steve Smith didn't have the natural size/strength that Mingo has.  Smith earned his way through his attitude and training.  If he can channel any of Smith's work habits or pick his brain, it really can't be seen as a negative...

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I love it!  If we can get Mingo going this offense could be entertaining. 

Canales had Baker Mayfield looking like an above average QB. I'm sure this offense will improve a lot just from his work with QBs.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Steve Smith didn't have the natural size/strength that Mingo has.  Smith earned his way through his attitude and training.  If he can channel any of Smith's work habits or pick his brain, it really can't be seen as a negative...

I'm not buying into Steve Smith is about to make something out of someone. 

89 has been around a LONG time.  He isn't the WR whisperer/mentor.  Put this under the been here and heard that before pile. 

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

problem solved! 

1.  Uh....

Not really the same. When he was playing he wasn't on the "let me help you" mindset. He was on the "Im the big dog, fug you" mindset. Which he needed to be. So honestly the results are TBD but looking damn good so far. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I'm not buying into Steve Smith is about to make something about of someone. 

89 has been around a LONG time.  He isn't the WR whisperer/mentor.  Put this under the been here and heard that before pile. 

I don't think he has to be.  I'm also not saying Mingo will suddenly be a Pro Bowler.  Mingo was a rookie last year, out of position in a terrible offense.  Waking up early and working out with a HOF WR can't really hurt.  If he can pick up any pointers, work habits, or even that attitude I am all for it.  

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, CRA said:

problem solved! 

1.  Uh....

It's different now that he's not a player of course but yeah, imagine if this Smitty had taken Keary Colbert (as arguably the most promising example back in the day) under his wing.

Later in his career you had guys like Gettis and LaFell, but LaFell clearly didn't want to be that guy.