• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Training Camp for 7/29/2024

Icege

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Does 55 count as a Madden deep ball??

Yes, that is an actual deep ball. It was also still underthrown/Diontae had to wait on it.

That's the thing - every NFL QB can put the ball 55 yards down the field. Hell, a lot of adults can do it. How many can do it accurately and how much effort does it take to do so is the differentiator..

6 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Yes, that is an actual deep ball. It was also still underthrown/Diontae had to wait on it.

That's the thing - every NFL QB can put the ball 55 yards down the field. Hell, a lot of adults can do it. How many can do it accurately and how much effort does it take to do so is the differentiator..

So he connected on a Madden Deep Pass?  I just read posts on here stating he hasn't connected on a single deep pass and I just wanted to make sure 55 is deep enough.  I mean before long we are going to run out of actual turf/grass....

Edited by ForJimmy

29 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Horn on Thielen in this scenario is an absolute physical mismatch, disadvantage offense, and any QB would have a hard time. Maybe Bryce helps a bit by placing that ball deeper and in a position more to the right where it's right over Thielen's head, effectively turning Thielen into his own screen against Horn, instead of trying to lead him and letting Horn close, but that would be one hell of a hard catch to make. No obvious better option here IMO.

Right...the bolded is the rational takeaway from this.  One of the best corners in his athletic prime running deep in coverage against an almost 34-year-old Thielen who even 10 years ago was never known for his athleticism.  The rest sounds like you're nitpicking to explain why this throw wasn't *perfection*, rather than why it was "not good", which was the original claim I was challenging.  The gap between "not good" and "perfect" is quite enormous.  I am willing to bet impartial observers would watch this clip and unanimously consider this at least a "good" throw into blanket coverage.  Do you disagree?

You mentioned on Bryce's other deep ball where the receiver (I think Diontae) had to slow down a bit towards the end.  Do you see Thielen letting up even a little bit on this one?  Seems like he threw it to a max speed Thielen in stride...but as you correctly pointed out, this is a nightmare match-up for Thielen against Jaycee Horn who was probably lightly jogging to stay in stride with him.  Trying to extrapolate beyond that is quite desperate IMO.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Lol why are we sending AT deep with Horn on him??  He is literally the worst player in our WR group for that route against an elite CB.

I’d imagine all the WRs practice all the routes…in practice.

34 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Lol why are we sending AT deep with Horn on him??  He is literally the worst player in our WR group for that route against an elite CB.

Some may say this was a route that could only go to Adam Theilen.

231127150856-frank-reich-112623.jpg?c=16

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 3

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

So he connected on a Madden Deep Pass?  I just read posts on here stating he hasn't connected on a single deep pass and I just wanted to make sure 55 is deep enough.  I mean before long we are going to run out of actual turf/grass....

I haven't made that type of comment you're indicating, at least not recently, but any NFL QB can do what he did here - throw a rainbow that a receiver bides his time under. I do agree though that yes, this throw travelled many yards downfield. Would be fantastic to see it in a game in the near future.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Right...the bolded is the rational takeaway from this.  One of the best corners in his athletic prime running deep in coverage against an almost 34-year-old Thielen who even 10 years ago was never known for his athleticism.  The rest sounds like you're nitpicking to explain why this throw wasn't *perfection*, rather than why it was "not good", which was the original claim I was challenging.  The gap between "not good" and "perfect" is quite enormous.  I am willing to bet impartial observers would watch this clip and unanimously consider this at least a "good" throw into blanket coverage.  Do you disagree?

You mentioned on Bryce's other deep ball where the receiver (I think Diontae) had to slow down a bit towards the end.  Do you see Thielen letting up even a little bit on this one?  Seems like he threw it to a max speed Thielen in stride...but as you correctly pointed out, this is a nightmare match-up for Thielen against Jaycee Horn who was probably lightly jogging to stay in stride with him.  Trying to extrapolate beyond that is quite desperate IMO.

Not really sure what you're getting at here, as I never said anything about this pass before you asked for nitpicking and I offered a suggestion that could have perhaps increased the odds. I'm pretty low on Bryce in general but this pass is not a reason to be; it was a losing proposition from the start for most anyone.

24 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I don't think throwing 55+ yard passes in stride with zero WR adjustment is as commonplace as you think.  Even significantly shorter throws than that from elite NFL QBs routinely have receivers slowing down or adjusting to the pass in some way.  If the receiver catches it and scores, no one cares or dwells on an underthrown ball.  Remember Cam's first NFL TD pass against the Cardinals?  That ball was significantly underthrown to a wide open Steve Smith and yet everyone was hype.  I saw a lot of underthrown deep balls from Stroud to wide open receivers last year but no one cares cause their talent and scheme allowed for a margin of error...ours didn't.  That's what separates good teams from bad teams.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I haven't made that type of comment you're indicating, at least not recently, but any NFL QB can do what he did here - throw a rainbow that a receiver bides his time under. I do agree though that yes, this throw travelled many yards downfield. Would be fantastic to see it in a game in the near future.

It wasn't you I was mocking.  You are typically realistic in your critiques.   I just like to poke fun at the ones on her who overreact to everything.  Earlier in this thread it was stated Bryce still hasn't completed a deep pass in practice so I just decided to dive a little deeper in their definition of a "deep" pass. Apparently it's over 55 yards for a select few on here....

• Beer 1