• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Training Camp for 7/29/2024

Icege

34 minutes ago, Rags said:

That's not the flex for Dalton you think it is.

I was not flexing for Dalton at all. Simply commenting that the runner had to speed up and chase the ball. Whoever that was, he looked slower in the first part of his route than Johnson did so no surprise he had to run faster.

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I was not flexing for Dalton at all. Simply commenting that the runner had to speed up and chase the ball. Whoever that was, he looked slower in the first part of his route than Johnson did so no surprise he had to run faster.

Granted, again its still early but Schuyler Callihan sounded pretty meh about Youngs performance so far in camp, and this is obviously before the pads are on. 

listen here

https://wfnz.com/schedule/the-mac-attack/

• Beer 1

30 minutes ago, csx said:

He sped up directly out of his move and ran to his spot and caught it. If he went any farther he would have run in to the group working at other end. No idea what you were looking at.

Go watch it yet again, because you are flat out wrong. Quick start, quick break, then Johnson started jogging once the ball was in the air and slowed down even more at the end before his steps for final adjustments.

It's only one rep anyway but man, we saw it all year last year.

Edited by KSpan

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Granted, again its still early but Schuyler Callihan sounded pretty meh about Youngs performance so far in camp, and this is obviously before the pads are on. 

listen here

https://wfnz.com/schedule/the-mac-attack/

In all objectiveness, it's like 3 days into camp so there is perhaps the slightest bit of leeway still here. My thing is that we already have an entire year of Bryce tape now, so what we see in camp is perhaps more likely to be the reality. This particular throw was just one rep but we sure saw him underthrow plenty of deep balls last year.

Will be good to see the team finally hit the field for real in September. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

In all objectiveness, it's like 3 days into camp so there is perhaps the slightest bit of leeway still here. My thing is that we already have an entire year of Bryce tape now, so what we see in camp is perhaps more likely to be the reality. This particular throw was just one rep but we sure saw him underthrow plenty of deep balls last year.

Will be good to see the team finally hit the field for real in September. 

the under throws are one thing but the lack of zip is also there as well

• Beer 1

29 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Absolutely. Whole year of that on tape as well. Not every throw needs to be a rocket but the threat needs to be there and the threat comes from being able to do it, just like the deep ball.

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

Absolutely. Whole year of that on tape as well. Not every throw needs to be a rocket but the threat needs to be there and the threat comes from being able to do it, just like the deep ball.

There are just gonna be things they shouldn’t try to do. You don’t force your weak points into your game, I mean why would you want to? Maybe do it so infrequently you have the surprise element.

If he isn’t 1 of 11, but is more like .75 of 11? That’s on the scheme architect to account for.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, strato said:

There are just gonna be things they shouldn’t try to do. You don’t force your weak points into your game, I mean why would you want to? Maybe do it so infrequently you have the surprise element.

If he isn’t 1 of 11, but is more like .75 of 11? That’s on the scheme architect to account for.

Yeah I'm noticing a trend of him focusing on those out routes, gets a decent chunk of yards and hard to pick off. 

15 minutes ago, strato said:

Right, but as a general rule if you can't/don't do it then you get the Teddy Two-Gloves effect where the defense just sits closer and closer to the line until they are just smothering everything. 

I've taken some heat for my position that arm strength is a critical aspect to being a winning QB and team in general in today's NFL, and it's not because you have to do it all the time but because the defense has to respect it or else the QB has to make them pay when they don't.

Mahomes' average depth of target has crept lower and lower, for example, but dude can absolutely hit the homerun when the opportunity is there. IMO and IME if you can't do that you won't win in the NFL, full stop - late career Drew Brees is a very real example of this. Won a lot of games, racked up stats, but couldn't take advantage of the best defenses second half of his career.

With respect to training camp I'm not seeing anything that points to things being different from last year in that regard. Time will tell.

54 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

And it’s just so obvious. Every ball he throws takes forever to get to where it needs to be which is why he needs to be playing 3 steps ahead of everyone else. Last year showed his processing is never going to get to a place where he can make up for a lack of arm strength.

Even the guys tweeting out plays during camp. I see Dalton at least attempting to go deep at least once daily. There’s none of that from Bryce. 

Young’s physical limitations will forever handcuff an offense. 

Like I’ve said, if Bryce looks serviceable this year that speaks volumes to Canales’ abilities as a coach 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I'm noticing a trend of him focusing on those out routes, gets a decent chunk of yards and hard to pick off. 

If the QB can do it and consistently keep it outside yeah, absolutely. Very hard to defend. But also very dangerous and the easiest pass to throw a pick-six on if throws lag/aren't on point, as we saw last year. 

• Beer 1