• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Training Camp for 7/29/2024

Icege

26 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

Sign me up for 20yard passes all day. I’m just trying to see those chains move.  If we can hit 1 of those a quarter this year it will be a vast improvement to what we saw last. 

According to this that would roughly triple his average from last year. Interesting to click around on the leaders of 10/20/30/40/50+ yard passes last year. Over 20, Bryce had 10 at 30y, 4 at 40y in 16 games. Dalton had 1 at 30y and 1 at 40y in 1 game. Neither had a 50+

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

According to this that would roughly triple his average from last year. Interesting to click around on the leaders of 10/20/30/40/50+ yard passes last year. Over 20, Bryce had 10 at 30y, 4 at 40y in 16 games. Dalton had 1 at 30y and 1 at 40y in 1 game. Neither had a 50+

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

You need to look at air time. Dalton’s 40 yarder had a good bit of YAC. It was an open pass and the WR ran 10 plus yards afterwards.  Not sure about the other ones mentioned. A check down can become a 40 yarder with enough YAC. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

You need to look at air time. Dalton’s 40 yarder had a good bit of YAC. It was an open pass and the WR ran 10 plus yards afterwards.  Not sure about the other ones mentioned. A check down can become a 40 yarder with enough YAC. 

Yeah it has air yards in their cumulative for the season and Bryce was at 1778 on the season. Most of the other guys that played 16/17 games were in the mid 2k's. Minshew was at 1902, Brock at 2439 for reference. I'll leave off CJ because that's not gonna go over well lol 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

"Beginning in 2006, the NFL classified every pass attempt as either 'short' or 'deep,' where deep means anything past 15 yards." 

https://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2010/09/deep-vs-short-passes.html?m=1

I'm really not interested in a fan's perspective on what they consider a deep pass. For the record. 

You are injecting this because it suits your narrative and fanhood IMO. Because it is really just some stat keeping crap. 

Does ANYONE think DCs are looking at a 15 yard pass as a deep throw? Maybe with us in 2023 but the real world? I just completely disagree. And don’t care what bullshit people use to justify it. Okay? 

Deep is over the top. Attempting to get behind the defense. A fuging 15 yard pass does poo to stretch a defense. Maybe it stresses them but it does not stretch them. 

Edited by strato

3 minutes ago, strato said:

You are injecting this because it suits your narrative and fanhood IMO. Because it is really just some stat keeping crap. 

Does ANYONE think DCs are looking at a 15 pass as a deep throw? Maybe with us in 2023 but the real world? I just completely disagree. And don’t care what bullshit people use to justify it. Okay? 

Deep is over the top. Attempting to get behind the defense. A fuging 15 yard pass does poo to stretch a defense. Maybe it stresses them but it does not stretch them. 

A deep throw is keeping the defense honest.  15 yards aint doing poo

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

50 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

A deep throw is keeping the defense honest.  15 yards aint doing poo

Yeah, I don't care what some fancy analytics say, we've all watched football long enough to know what justifies as a "deep throw". People need to start believing their eyes over analytics. Even in the underwear olympics (Pro Day) with NOBODY guarding his WRs, Bryce's deep throws looked weak and took forever to get there, and it was no different in real time. We got sold on a super processor and got a lemon. 

10 minutes ago, Castavar said:

Yeah, I don't care what some fancy analytics say, we've all watched football long enough to know what justifies as a "deep throw". People need to start believing their eyes over analytics. Even in the underwear olympics (Pro Day) with NOBODY guarding his WRs, Bryce's deep throws looked weak and took forever to get there, and it was no different in real time. We got sold on a super processor and got a lemon. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-nfl-deep-passers-of-2022-geno-smith-tua-tagovailoa-excel-a

Like it or not, the NFL considers deep passes to be it to be 20 air yards. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, csx said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-nfl-deep-passers-of-2022-geno-smith-tua-tagovailoa-excel-a

Like it or not, the NFL considers deep passes to be it to be 20 air yards. 

Yeah I don’t see many safeties constantly playing 20 plus yards away from the LOS. If you hit a 25 yard pass it’s typically behind the defense unless they are in prevent or something different. 20 plus yards in the air pass the LOS is a deep pass and not as easy as people think on here. People are forgetting YAC is included in a lot of these passes. So when a QB hits a 40 yard pass, more times than not it’s including YAC to get there. 

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah I don’t see many safeties constantly playing 20 plus yards away from the LOS. If you hit a 25 yard pass it’s typically behind the defense unless they are in prevent or something different. 20 plus yards in the air pass the LOS is a deep pass and not as easy as people think on here. People are forgetting YAC is included in a lot of these passes. So when a QB hits a 40 yard pass, more times than not it’s including YAC to get there. 

And I am not suggesting Young is or will be a good deep passer. I just don't get to redifine things base on what I want.

• Pie 2