• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Training Camp for 7/29/2024

Icege

15 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

And it’s just so obvious. Every ball he throws takes forever to get to where it needs to be which is why he needs to be playing 3 steps ahead of everyone else. Last year showed his processing is never going to get to a place where he can make up for a lack of arm strength.

Even the guys tweeting out plays during camp. I see Dalton at least attempting to go deep at least once daily. There’s none of that from Bryce. 

Young’s physical limitations will forever handcuff an offense. 

Like I’ve said, if Bryce looks serviceable this year that speaks volumes to Canales’ abilities as a coach 

Yeah this one, Bryce deep to Thielen is not a combination Horn seemed to wince at at all lol. 

5 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Right, but as a general rule if you can't/don't do it then you get the Teddy Two-Gloves effect where the defense just sits closer and closer to the line until they are just smothering everything. 

I've taken some heat for my position that arm strength is a critical aspect to being a winning QB and team in general in today's NFL, and it's not because you have to do it all the time but because the defense has to respect it or else the QB has to make them pay when they don't.

Mahomes' average depth of target has crept lower and lower, for example, but dude can absolutely hit the homerun when the opportunity is there. IMO and IME if you can't do that you won't win in the NFL, full stop - late career Drew Brees is a very real example of this. Won a lot of games, racked up stats, but couldn't take advantage of the best defenses second half of his career.

With respect to training camp I'm not seeing anything that points to things being different from last year in that regard. Time will tell.

Yes. I was there from the start, before the draft. I never was able to understand the love and still waiting to see that justified. 

We’ll see, for sure soon enough but he seems to need to go 100% effort to get any zip and power. Not at all ideal. The footwork showed issues at his pro day. 

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah this one, Bryce deep to Thielen is not a combination Horn seemed to wince at at all lol. 

These are just 1 on 1’s. I’m talking 11’s or id even settle for something deep in 7’s at this point. Bryce hasn’t thrown anything deep. 

There’s no way Canales doesn’t already realize how limited Bryce is

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

These are just 1 on 1’s. I’m talking 11’s or id even settle for something deep in 7’s at this point. Bryce hasn’t thrown anything deep. 

There’s no way Canales doesn’t already realize how limited Bryce is

Yes, I'm saying he's not even good at it in 1 on 1's with no one within 10 yards of him. Same as his pro day, it's just not a good deep ball

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yes, I'm saying he's not even good at it in 1 on 1's with no one within 10 yards of him. Same as his pro day, it's just not a good deep ball

21 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

So articulate specifically what was awful about this throw and what a good deep passer would've done to make this a catch.

8 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

So articulate specifically what was awful about this throw and what a good deep passer would've done to make this a catch.

Horn on Thielen in this scenario is an absolute physical mismatch, disadvantage offense, and any QB would have a hard time. Maybe Bryce helps a bit by placing that ball deeper and in a position more to the right where it's right over Thielen's head, effectively turning Thielen into his own screen against Horn, instead of trying to lead him and letting Horn close, but that would be one hell of a hard catch to make. No obvious better option here IMO.

12 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

He's bitching to bitch. Nobody can see what's going on from that angle to make any useful observations

It appears if to have gone through or just past his fingertips. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Deep passes??? Impossible…

I've come to realize that a lot of fans go by Madden stats for what is considered a deep pass (short 0 - 20, intermediate 20 - 40, and deep 40+) rather than football stats (short 0 - 10, intermediate 11 - 19, deep 20+).

I'm not sure if it's willful ignorance or them looking for another way to say that Bryce isn't big enough for the NFL. Maybe a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B?

Edited by Icege
  • Beer 1

Just now, Icege said:

I've come to realize that a lot of fans go by Madden stats for what is considered a deep pass (short 0 - 20, intermediate 20 - 40, and deep 40+) rather than football stats (short 0 - 10, intermediate 11 - 19, deep 20+).

I'm not sure if it's willful ignorance or them looking for another way to say that Bryce isn't big enough for the NFL. Maybe a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B?

So we need to practice Hail Mary passes apparently…  

Yeah a 20 plus pass is a deep pass. I mean if you get the ball at the 25 you are almost at midfield with one of those. 

10 minutes ago, Icege said:

The same posters have gotta run Bryce down in every thread don’t matter the topic 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

The same posters have gotta run Bryce down in every thread don’t matter the topic 

There’s a theme to the practice threads that’s I’ve noticed. Pages 1-3 usually pretty good info, videos, tweets, interviews, etc. Pages 4-end same 7-10 posters saying the exact same thing over and over and over and over and….

anyway just stop when practice is over and you won’t go crazy (as I don’t listen to my own advice) 

• Pie 3