• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many games are you willing to give Young?

Jmac

I think the full season is fine. The rest of the team is pretty bad, so it isn't like him playing poorly would really drag us down that much.

After this year, we will be in a position to pivot if it doesn't work out. I completely expect that we will not pivot until at least the 2025 season or offseason.

My logic behind this is that with almost every single move(FO changes, coaching changes, personnel decisions) during the Tepper era we are always too little and too late. This speaks to the dysfunctional atmosphere that is pervasive across the entire organization.

This is classically an element of any professional franchise with incompetent ownership.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the full season is fine. The rest of the team is pretty bad, so it isn't like him playing poorly would really drag us down that much.

Given how much money we spent upgrading the offensive line, I would think that the oline should be significantly improved.  And if it improves, so should the running game.  And our receiver group should be improved, although showing that improvement depends a lot on Bryce.  

Give the man all of the games. He never had a fair shot last season and let's be honest he has spent his entire life working to get this opportunity. Give it to him. He might not be great right off the bat again this season. He may still be struggling by mid-season. He might finally catch on and develop by the end of the season as a very young, newly coached team gels. 

Or he might come out swinging right off the bat and look like a world-beater. And then struggle late in the season as teams get more tape on the new improved version. That's an important thing for us to see as well.

Or he may do badly from the start, getting progressively worse as the season wears on and the games become more desperate or important for our opponents. He wouldn't be the first, or the last, highly touted young QB to just not make it.

Either way, give the man the season to prove himself and for us to be able to fully evaluate him and our history. If the team just tanks again, then we can enter the QB sweepstakes yet again. If he improves but our record only touches the middling level, that's still better than we have been for a while... there is something to build on or hold to as we shore up the defense or other areas of weakness. If he just completely takes off, well, we just won't know what to do with that joy, will we?

• Beer 3

Who do they bench him for? Bryce is going to play the whole season. If he doesn’t show any promise by the end of the year then it will be clear if he’s the guy going forward or not. By end of year 2 we should be seeing some positive steps forward.

I am not hopeful because I don’t think Bryce has the size or arm strength to be an NFL QB. I really hope the Panthers draft Quinn Ewers if Bryce bombs. With a few extra lbs on his frame he will be a very good NFL QB.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Who do they bench him for? Bryce is going to play the whole season. If he doesn’t show any promise by the end of the year then it will be clear if he’s the guy going forward or not. By end of year 2 we should be seeing some positive steps forward.

I am not hopeful because I don’t think Bryce has the size or arm strength to be an NFL QB. I really hope the Panthers draft Quinn Ewers if Bryce bombs. With a few extra lbs on his frame he will be a very good NFL QB.

To make the games watchable would be nice but it's a terrible sign if new people are playing themselves into the 1st pick in their 1st year on a team that just pissed away the 1st pick this year. That's the biggest problem in my mind that if he bombs and they keep playing him throughout then why would anyone want those people picking a new QB? Hurney got his shot and picked Rhule. Rhule got his shot and picked Fritterer. Fritterer got his shot and picked Young. Since Tepper got here 'they deserver to prove themselves' just means they already failed before here and get another shot to make fail even worse. 

Look at TB and PM, both have dad bods which just shows the QB can put on non-muscle weight and can be just fine. Weight isn't a giant concern with QBs if they have the natural frame because they can fill out if speed isn't their biggest tool.

Another question is will Tepper allow the coaches to make the decision of playing Young or not. Last year we heard stories of coaches wanting to bench Young….and that never happened. But we do know Frank, the QB coach and the RB coach were fired. 

to answer the original OP question: I think it depends on how the rest of the team looks. If it’s the quarterback holding the team back, I think they pull him. They have to start building a winning culture. This team needs to learn how to win in the NFL. In addition Young needs to learn how to be a leader. I really hope he can overcome what we all saw last year but I have a lot of doubts. 

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Will Tepper pull another 180 and throw the bag at Dak if he's a FA next year? lol. I say just play it out however, look at Beck, Ewers, and Sanders plus whatever college qb comes out of nowhere. After Dak is signed by whoever, the 25' FA list is Sam Darnold, Fields, Brissett, Jameis, Jimmy G!

Ive said this 3x now, if/when young stinks it up you guys can count on Tep overpaying for Dak to come here.  And all things considered, poo I would be fine with it as long as it contributes to a winning season

12 hours ago, Panic said:

WTF is wrong with this fan base. Support your young QB. Ride or die this season. Enjoy your new and energetic coach. And stop with all this negative BS.

10 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

By week 6 we know. By week 17 we have the number 1 pick if he sucks. 

My opinion is a mixture of both. Support Bryce and the team but know that if he is bad then you are in a position to move on. I think that is logically where we are at this point. 

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Ive said this 3x now, if/when young stinks it up you guys can count on Tep overpaying for Dak to come here.  And all things considered, poo I would be fine with it as long as it contributes to a winning season

Blech. Locking Dak in for all that money is a death knell for the next few seasons after. At least if the QB wheel keeps turning there could be legitimate hope.

3 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Blech. Locking Dak in for all that money is a death knell for the next few seasons after. At least if the QB wheel keeps turning there could be legitimate hope.

For sure, but I feel pretty confident that dak can win the division at least.  And I am damn near certain he can get us over .500

17 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

For sure, but I feel pretty confident that dak can win the division at least.  And I am damn near certain he can get us over .500

Yeah, but I don't care about that if it's the ceiling, which it is with Dak. Understandable though if some just prefer any kind of progress.

9 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

You must be new here or something? There are some miserable fat guys in these parts. They are going to be pissed off no matter what. I think it's all the chicken wing grease and the nacho cheese maybe.

Why fat? I don’t think a persons weight or body has anything to do with being miserable.