• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The New and Improved Offense: The Offensive Line

22 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I still don’t get why the 2014-2017 OL is so dissed. When 4 starters have gone to pro bowls or been selected to all pro teams, you’d think that they would get some credit. Our interior OL was as good as anyone’s. In 2015, we were ranked top 2 or 3 just behind the Cowboys. I know LT is a sticking point in here but I’d take the actual 2014-2017 OL over the “potential” of this OL every day of the week. I hope this one ends up being good but I feel like the 2014-2017 OL is completely ignore in here even though it was ranked really high. If it weren’t for all the damn 2016 injuries, that OL leads us to four straight playoff appearances.

I cannot speak for k53, but most cam lovers pointed non-stop at him having a poor OL, which as you pointed out is 100% false. They had 2.7 or so years of prime tri turner, kalil, and the white buffalo. Mixed in moton, gross, DWilliams, and oher at OTs. Like you said, that was the best IOL in the whole fuging league, not the hog slop of this past season. 

Crazy enough it "looks" like the OL is the strongest unit on paper. That's if icky can hold down the LT, but even the depth looks legit....except at C....but still should be one of the better groups this year and the Panthers sure need some group to lean on, why not the OL?

Edited by Basbear

Biggest thing that can help our O-line: staying healthy. Even if our guys are average, having cohesion will bump that toward the upper half of the league. Unfortunately, that's the one thing we can't really control.

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

I still don’t get why the 2014-2017 OL is so dissed. When 4 starters have gone to pro bowls or been selected to all pro teams, you’d think that they would get some credit. Our interior OL was as good as anyone’s. In 2015, we were ranked top 2 or 3 just behind the Cowboys. I know LT is a sticking point in here but I’d take the actual 2014-2017 OL over the “potential” of this OL every day of the week. I hope this one ends up being good but I feel like the 2014-2017 OL is completely ignore in here even though it was ranked really high. If it weren’t for all the damn 2016 injuries, that OL leads us to four straight playoff appearances.

We really dissed it back in the day but really, it was a line that did a lot of solid work. And let's face it, they were working with an incredibly unconventional QB behind them. Cam was an astounding player, but those guys in front of him had to put in a lot of work... just think of how long Cam extended some plays and think of how hard it is to make and maintain blocks for even just the regular length of plays.

And man, Ryan Kalil. Dude was a first rate center who deserved a lot more credit. (Although he sure was beloved by our fanbase.)

Yosh is an underrated signing in my opinion.  He and a guy like Christensen are both plus swing linemen for this line, which is critical in an eval year for a lot of offensive skill guys (QB included).  If Icky is struggling or either him or Moton get banged up, Yosh has the starting experience to come in.  He played respectable, not great, but respectable for GB last year and during the games where Love really got it going.  

Christensen we know is capable of playing decently.  Heck, we thought he was a long term starter not long ago.  

Corbett at Center is the thing to watch. Many of us wanted a center in the draft (Frazier 😞) so we'll see if that works.   It's hinging on him and then Icky's progression.  If both move in the right direction, it should be at the least a top-15 unit.  Maybe top-10.  

The other thing is that I'm fairly certain Bozeman called protections for Bryce.  So will Corbett or are we going to let Bryce manage that?  It would be prudent for one of our reporters to ask Canales what his system will allow and about presnap communication, because that's another area where Bryce seemed to have training wheels on last year.    

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Yosh is an underrated signing in my opinion.  He and a guy like Christensen are both plus swing linemen for this line, which is critical in an eval year for a lot of offensive skill guys (QB included).  If Icky is struggling or either him or Moton get banged up, Yosh has the starting experience to come in.  He played respectable, not great, but respectable for GB last year and during the games where Love really got it going.  

Christensen we know is capable of playing decently.  Heck, we thought he was a long term starter not long ago.  

Corbett at Center is the thing to watch. Many of us wanted a center in the draft (Frazier 😞) so we'll see if that works.   It's hinging on him and then Icky's progression.  If both move in the right direction, it should be at the least a top-15 unit.  Maybe top-10.  

The other thing is that I'm fairly certain Bozeman called protections for Bryce.  So will Corbett or are we going to let Bryce manage that?  It would be prudent for one of our reporters to ask Canales what his system will allow and about presnap communication, because that's another area where Bryce seemed to have training wheels on last year.    

I remember one of the games that Corbett actually played. He would turn around from the RG spot and communicate with Bryce before the ball was snapped. It stood out because I wasn’t accustomed to seeing OGs do that. I think he is smart enough to handle that part of the adjustment. I’m just not sure that counting on him to be healthy AND learn the center position this year is the best idea…

• Pie 1

I fully agree on the o-line, and overall I’m optimistic long term. We are building an offense to give strong support to a QB. Oline, RB (Brooks as starter, Chuba as rb2), WR (Dionte is a very good starter) and TE. At QB, it will most likely not be Bryce (I hope I’m wrong), but we are setting our current or future QB up for success, and that is my reason for optimism even though this year might be a bit rough with Bryce at the helm.

This is as glass half full as you can get.  Here’s the half empty retort.

1.  Brady is the GOAT, I’d give him more credit for keeping himself upright than a random Tampa coach.

2. Huh?  Really?  Some random assistant TE coach is your #2 point on offensive line upgrades?  

3. 2.7 seconds. Hahahahahahahaha, ok.  How this counts as upgrading the line I don’t even know.  If it works out it’s a philosophy or QB upgrade, not a line upgrade. 

4. Chuba is serviceable and Brooks is a complete unknown.  You clowns act like a decent CFB player is a shoe in for an elite NFL player.  Grow up.  Even if Brooks magically were “elite” that’d be a RB upgrade not a line upgrade.  

Now, as far as the line.  Who tf knows what we’ll get from Icky, that’s a guessing game.  Hunt and Lewis are certainly upgrades but I argue here and now that they’re not upgrades BY9 can benefit from.  If we run the ball 30 times a game we can win 5 or 6.  It’s all pointless if Bryce is our QB though.

• Poo 1

On 7/26/2024 at 7:39 AM, Khyber53 said:

We really dissed it back in the day but really, it was a line that did a lot of solid work. And let's face it, they were working with an incredibly unconventional QB behind them. Cam was an astounding player, but those guys in front of him had to put in a lot of work... just think of how long Cam extended some plays and think of how hard it is to make and maintain blocks for even just the regular length of plays.

And man, Ryan Kalil. Dude was a first rate center who deserved a lot more credit. (Although he sure was beloved by our fanbase.)

The ranking sites and league didn’t diss them only our fans who had LT on the brain as if you couldn’t have a good OL if LT was your weak spot. PFF had us 2nd after the 2015 season. Injuries hurt us in 2016 and also in 2018, when our Ts were setup to be Moron and Williams until Williams was out for the year.

Cam’s scrambling did get more sacks than we are plus have had with a QB who couldn’t make those escapes and throws the ball away instead of taking a chance.

That 2015 OL IMHO was as good an OL as we’ve had. Sucks that we ended it against an amazing pass rush with our empty brained coaching staff that just assumed we had no need to game plan for that pass rush.

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2024 at 3:41 AM, Newtcase said:

This is as glass half full as you can get.  Here’s the half empty retort.

1.  Brady is the GOAT, I’d give him more credit for keeping himself upright than a random Tampa coach.

2. Huh?  Really?  Some random assistant TE coach is your #2 point on offensive line upgrades?  

3. 2.7 seconds. Hahahahahahahaha, ok.  How this counts as upgrading the line I don’t even know.  If it works out it’s a philosophy or QB upgrade, not a line upgrade. 

4. Chuba is serviceable and Brooks is a complete unknown.  You clowns act like a decent CFB player is a shoe in for an elite NFL player.  Grow up.  Even if Brooks magically were “elite” that’d be a RB upgrade not a line upgrade.  

Now, as far as the line.  Who tf knows what we’ll get from Icky, that’s a guessing game.  Hunt and Lewis are certainly upgrades but I argue here and now that they’re not upgrades BY9 can benefit from.  If we run the ball 30 times a game we can win 5 or 6.  It’s all pointless if Bryce is our QB though.

1. It is OK to disagree and state your counter points--but you decided to go full dick about it.  Your points are just as subjective as mine, and if you chose to be negative beneath a narcissistic veil of self-adoration, that says more about you than it does the Panthers or the OP.  Learn to consider other ideas without being a prick.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

On 7/24/2024 at 12:25 PM, Khyber53 said:

Gosh, I hope you're right. Having a first rate O-line is something we haven't had since, well, maybe 2005-ish. If they can just give the little guy a fighting chance, we could see what he can do. And if we could also get that running game going because of it... It might be fun to watch the games again.

Right now, everything is just on paper. I hope it plays out well. I'm not needing much here, but just breaking even would be such a big step.

It all begins in the trenches and I think we've spent well on the O-line. Time will show I guess. Coaching changes were needed, but as we've seen so many times before, new doesn't always guarantee improvement.

We just need to surround the #1 overall pick with an All-Pro OLine and stud WRs. 

• Pie 2

On 7/26/2024 at 9:41 AM, Bear Hands said:

Yosh is an underrated signing in my opinion.  .    

I have stated this as well.  He could save us a roster spot, because I see us going with 8 in the 53 and keeping 3 or so on the PS.  Both Yosh and Brady C can play T, and Brady can play LG, C--not sure about RG,. We also have Cade Mays and Zavala--who should be very much improved this year.  I see Raym making the PS as the third C.  After that, BPA

41 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I have stated this as well.  He could save us a roster spot, because I see us going with 8 in the 53 and keeping 3 or so on the PS.  Both Yosh and Brady C can play T, and Brady can play LG, C--not sure about RG,. We also have Cade Mays and Zavala--who should be very much improved this year.  I see Raym making the PS as the third C.  After that, BPA

Yo mhs, did you see the 2nd unit?? Besides Christ, it was different than I thought it would be. Im about to give up hope on Mays too. Super early and all, but it already feels like zavala is getting cut after being a 4th. 

Lee maybe a super sleeper as well.

I still feel the OL is overall best unit on this bad team.