• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Computer problems...

The Link

Alright. So I'm surfing the web yesterday and all of a sudden multiple warnings from programs I never seen in my life pop up. Thinking it is just some virus I run a scan, and quarantine the infected file. I turned my computer on this morning and I can't open anything. It either asks me what I should open it with or gives me an error message, one of which says run32.dll cannot be found. I can't use system restore (or any of the windows tools). Help?

You can try hitting the "F8" key while the computer is booting up and run it in the "Safe" mode. Get off what you can.

Basically, you ran a virus that destroyed your hard drive. Same thing happened to me last Summer. I lost everything. Even 22 chapters of my novel I was writing! :banghead:

Now I back up everything on a seperate hard drive.

Or this:

There are two things this may be the result of. Try the first one and if it does not resolve the issue try the second one.

First

Click Start > type cmd in the run dialog box then press ok. On the command prompt line type "control panel" without the quotation marks. In control panel > folder options > file types > new (button) in the new window click advanced. In the file extension dialog box type exe. In the drop down menu locate and select application > click ok. The link below is to an image for reference.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8378/fileextension.jpg

Secondly

Right click on Start > Search. Type rundll32.exe in the field for files to be searched for. Choose to search your primary drive (usually C). Enable Search Hidden Files and Folder from Advanced Features. Click on Search button to begin the search. In the list of results, locate the rundll32 file associated with C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Right click on rundll32 to the left of the aforementioned directory and choose "Open folder location". The rundll32.exe file should be highlighted when the folder opens. Right click on the file and choose copy. Next, in the search results list, right click on rundll32 that corresponds to C\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe and choose "Open folder location". Again the file should be highlighted. Right click on the file and choose delete. Right click again in a free space within the folder and choose paste. If this does not solve your problem you may need to get a windows os disk and extract the file from there.

Once this issue is resolved you will need to create a highjack this log file. I recommend you do not run any malware or virus scanners until after we have completed with highjack this. Post your results for to proceed to the next step.

You should also scan for rootkits. These days trojans often drop an "enabler" program that has no signatures, they simply allow other bad downloads. You can't always assume you're clean even if you find a trojan. Some reading & tools.

http://www.pchell.com/support/rootkitremovaltools.shtml

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1037/xp-free-rootkit-scanning-software/

You can also find tools at download.com and help at bleepingcomputer.com.

Archived