• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathon Brooks staying patient, playing the long game

1 hour ago, Johnstonny said:

Right now he looks more like half of Milli Vanilli than a running back. Unless hes the reincarnation of Adrian Peterson or Dalvin Cook I see mediocrity and a wasted pick, again. I wonder if the severity of the injury has any bearing on how successful they are upon return..... I just don't think you can buy a car with a bent axle and expect to drive it for very long.  

Disclaimer: I really hope it works out for the kid. He just turned 21.

I am not too worried about his injury nor do I really expect much from him this season. Given the ACL, I am going to grade him on 2025 and later.

But, unless he is ripping off multiple Pro Bowl campaigns, I still feel the same way about RB's in the first two rounds of the draft.

On 7/21/2024 at 11:14 AM, RJK said:

Could’ve had a starting caliber center for the next decade. Just sayin 

That's my main issue with that pick.

It's a lot fuging easier to get a serviceable RB just about anywhere compared to getting a young starting center for the next decade to complement spending a shitload of money on LG and RG in free agency.

Expecting Corbett to stay healthy and excell at a position he's never played before is almost insanity to me. We're going to see this season whether that gamble pays off for them or not.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

They think the QB needs the help and wanted to make sure they got it. I don’t they would do the same thing again with a different QB situation, where they maybe felt better about sticking a rookie at C right now. 

I just keep thinking the rookie C learning protections, etc, learning the speed of the game in the NFL for the first time, that maybe that isn’t the ideal plan. They need to get it going fast because if it doesn’t go, you are going to have some confidence issues.

Then the RB is there and they thought Dallas was going to make a move. And they want a strong running game and this is their guy. 

That’s what I think they were thinking, whether that was what they should have done? We probably won’t know if the C would have been a better move. 

If the QB blows chunks anyway then having a solid C moving forward would be a plus. If he does well, would he have done as well behind a learning rookie?  I just think this is all about making it as easy as possible and giving every advantage they can. Cause right now the job is save this QB. Get him in the best position to operate.

It IS Panther-y isn’t it. And it’s not even really Black Cat time yet. 

We have guys ready to go though, and about the only ones that think this is a playoff possible team are the total sunshiners that have been saying the same thing every year. I don’t see it as some catastrophe. Yet.

edit: I mean, if I called it we’d still have Foreman. Who is a banger? 

Edited by strato

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

Not smart, well run teams unless they're set everywhere else and can afford the luxury. And the Panthers aren't that.

Detroit was very smart to draft Gibbs. It almost got them to the championship. 

I guess that I have a philosophical difference. Draft football players that can make an impact as much as possible. I think that this is especially important for a team that's rebuilding. You can't afford to miss the forest for the trees. This is a multi-year rebuild, and Brooks is only 21 years old and will hopefully have plenty of years to positively impact the team. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1