• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathon Brooks staying patient, playing the long game

15 hours ago, Johnstonny said:

How can you draft a gimp in the second round that is not in camp now showing hes contributing.. Answer that!!!!

They know we arent going to the Super Bowl this season anyhow and they saw a huge advantage to when he is fully healthy in terms of what they see his future to be would be my guess

2 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

And maybe he will be one next season. Did you think we were going Super Bowl this year? Maybe they see him as an investment with a huge upside who knows.

Could’ve had a starting caliber center for the next decade. Just sayin 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 4

3 minutes ago, RJK said:

Regardless of injury status, taking a RB in the second is a luxury pick. Quality/starting caliber RB's were available in the 3rd/4th rounds.

This is classic bad roster management. Ignoring positional value.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

59 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Regardless of injury status, taking a RB in the second is a luxury pick. Quality/starting caliber RB's were available in the 3rd/4th rounds.

This is classic bad roster management. Ignoring positional value.

We agree a lot, but not here. Brooks, pre-injury, was on pace to be a first round pick. In theory, he has the type of talent. Drafting is about getting value: I'm not gonna say "getting something for nothing," but getting more for little. Top-tier backs can make a helluva difference on the field, irrespective of an overblown philosophy about their positional value dwindling. Jahmyr Gibbs is the latest evidence of this. And mind you, we didn't have to spend a first, but a second (and received a 2025 second to boot). For me, whether or not we made the right decision will come down to his play (especially that in 2025 and beyond). If things go right, we'll have Brooks for the next seven to 10 years as a premier three-down back that can take it to the house on any given play.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, TD alt said:

We agree a lot, but not here. Brooks, pre-injury, was on pace to be a first round pick. In theory, he has the type of talent. Drafting is about getting value: I'm not gonna say "getting something for nothing," but getting more for little. Top-tier backs can make a helluva difference on the field, irrespective of an overblown philosophy about their positional value dwindling. Jahmyr Gibbs is the latest evidence of this. And mind you, we didn't have to spend a first, but a second (and received a 2025 second to boot). For me, whether or not we made the right decision will come down to his play (especially that in 2025 and beyond). If things go right, we'll have Brooks for the next seven to 10 years as a premier three-down back that can take it to the house on any given play.

I disagree because for the most part wins in the NFL are very rarely dictated by the RB position. This isn't just my view, it's the view of most NFL franchises in the modern era. Hence why RB by committee and cheaper RB's the most common feature of the average NFL team. Also why you see RB's sliding further and further down draft boards and generally substantially lower RB salaries compared to other offensive skill positions, which is very much different from 20+ years ago. 

It's too easy to get above average to very good RB play from guys drafted in the 3rd round or lower(this trend is going on a while now). Hence why I say it really doesn't matter how we play, he isn't going to have very much impact on W's and L's(see McCaffery, Christian for the classic modern example of this). 

We just have philosophical differences on what we think of the position in the modern NFL. As was stated by others in this thread(and across many this offseason) we could have selected a potential long term starter and multiple other positions of substantially higher positional value. Not a very good prospect with likely a very short career that just isn't going to readily impact W's and L's. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

They know we arent going to the Super Bowl this season anyhow and they saw a huge advantage to when he is fully healthy in terms of what they see his future to be would be my guess

In keeping up with the theme of the panthers....I think this is going to be a second round wasted pick..... The obligatory statement that I hope it works out tho...

4 hours ago, RJK said:

I personally liked Benson better and he went later and was healthy, but oh well.  Hopefully Brooks will be good when healthy.

I don't have a problem taking an injured guy, even in the second but running back is just not worth it unless they think he'll be a top 5 back. High risk pick, more so with the injury. Even if he pans out, do you give a rb a second contract that's a 2nd rounder?