• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young can have a breakout season in 2024

Verge

5 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

I'm sure it feels that way.  Little voice of reason on the huddle these days. 

Some of the greatest to play were not above average players.  I'm not saying get him a gold jacket now. What I am saying is let's watch him develop. He has exceeds his physical limitations his entire life.  Being above average authentically doesn't even promise that they can be

average at the position. 

Playing NFL QB isn't just dropping back and chucking the ball. 

You and others are literally asking for the impossible.  He's never going to have elite physical traits. Everyone knew this before he was drafted.  

After 1 season where the entire offense blew chunks,  the bias against his stature is alive in well in way to many fans. Especially from a franchise that have had elite small players. 

NUMBER ONE: You are insulting people that you disagree with and should check yourself and stick to cases. You referenced someone as dumb earlier and now you feel the need to write me this condescending poo: 

NO poo!

That needs to stop.; there is no need top resort to that type of stuff I am trying to be polite and respectful while stating my opinions but I can play that insult  game if that is the way you want to doi it. 

Okay, to your substance:

Please name these great players who had no above average NFL level physical traits, and if they are from another era,  that would still be great in this era of pro ball. It is just a faster bigger game than it ever was.

I keep coming back to someone that had a great career with maybe sub par ability and landing on Fran Tarkenton. I don’t know if it is the best comp, but I don't think he could succeed today.

Please tell me what is impossible, that I am asking for.  I don’t know what that means. I have posed possibilities and certainly posed questions as to how it could work as opposed to just flat saying it can’t. A plan that acknowledging his shortcomings and compensates through scheme to make it do-able with him.

And you can’t do that until you see the real player. And he ain’t Gerno Smith, to back to what you had objections to my opinion in the first place.

What’s your plan?

Edited by strato

10 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

His arm is fine. No, it's not elite.  Not very teams have elite arms. I'll take the kids accuracy or an elite strong arm.  

His footwork will be fine.  Judging it from last year when he couldn't even set his feet is just dumb.  

He's actually pretty damn agile too. 

So now I know you don't like him, period. You refuse to be unbiased towards him. 

That's fine, that's your choice, it also means you're pretty worthless having any Bryce Young conversation. 

His running ability is similar to Teddy Bridgewater. 

What accuracy? The dude was very inaccurate last season. 

He has no footwork to speak of, he has some weird things he does that he used to overcome his small stature when playing college and high school ball, that poo doesn't work in the pros. If his footwork was fine they would not be putting such an emphasis on it now. 

It seems you are the one who can't have an honest conversation about our starting QB because you are too big of a Bryce stan. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

On 7/19/2024 at 5:07 PM, MasterAwesome said:

It's interesting how a position like "I'm not ready to write off Bryce Young yet" has for months been considered delusional cope by a very vocal and active group of posters on these boards, but with the broader general fanbase that's actually a relatively mild take that >90% would agree with.  This just goes to show how incredibly radicalized the Huddle has become.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5644267/2024/07/18/carolina-panthers-fan-survey-results-bryce-young/

image.png.5a5e67042d76dee155911d9ac84090cd.png

I think it's fair to say that members of the Huddle are considerably more knowledge about the game than your run-of-the-mill fans, so the Huddle consensus on Bryce being a bust is a (far) more informed opinion. To put it another way, if you had asked 10,000 Stone Age humans whether Earth is flat or spherical, the answer you'd get is likely the wrong one. 

18 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

It's not a stretch to say Young will have a break out season.  The stretch would be he sucks in his second season. 

His listed height at Alabama was a real stretch, as are his fabled super processing, poise in the pocket, arm elasticity, ability to create and make off platform throws. Everything about him pre-draft is a stretch. His being a serviceable NFL quarterback is the biggest stretch of them all. 

4 hours ago, strato said:

NUMBER ONE: You are insulting people that you disagree with and should check yourself and stick to cases. You referenced someone as dumb earlier and now you feel the need to write me this condescending poo: 

NO poo!

That needs to stop.; there is no need top resort to that type of stuff I am trying to be polite and respectful while stating my opinions but I can play that insult  game if that is the way you want to doi it. 

Okay, to your substance:

Please name these great players who had no above average NFL level physical traits, and if they are from another era,  that would still be great in this era of pro ball. It is just a faster bigger game than it ever was.

I keep coming back to someone that had a great career with maybe sub par ability and landing on Fran Tarkenton. I don’t know if it is the best comp, but I don't think he could succeed today.

Please tell me what is impossible, that I am asking for.  I don’t know what that means. I have posed possibilities and certainly posed questions as to how it could work as opposed to just flat saying it can’t. A plan that acknowledging his shortcomings and compensates through scheme to make it do-able with him.

And you can’t do that until you see the real player. And he ain’t Gerno Smith, to back to what you had objections to my opinion in the first place.

What’s your plan?

You taking what I posted as condescending is really on you.  

It's certainly not how I wrote it.  That is the thing about any communication that is not face to face.  Many just take it however they want to take it. 

So, number 1, stop assuming I'm attacking you.   I understand that from previous exchanges you and I have had on this forum, there has been that from both sides.  There is no point responding if that's how the exchanges are going to be.  I have re-evaluated my take on you, and have been responding differently.  Evidently you haven't cared to notice?  Whatever the reasoning, let that poo go, otherwise there is no point. 

As far as providing a comprehensive list of players that represent my perspective, I really have no interest in doing so.  That information is easily available.  

I know you won't like the 2 I list, but I really don't care.  

Tom Brady.  When he was drafted, he wasn't even considered average except his height.  Everything else was below average of what is considered the prototyping NFL measurements.   His arm strength was never elite in his entire career.  Yes, his arm may be stronger than young, but he was never considered elite arm strength..  it was his accuracy and his decisions. 

Joe Montana

Once again we have a player who had less than the prototypical measurements of  NFL qb. 

Drew Brews.  Pretty much the same, just didn't win as many championships as the first 2. 

Yes, I am mentioning NFL Hof Players.  The point of doing so, is to prove that physical measurements doesn't limit the player from playing above their measurements. That's it.  That's the point people have been harping. There is proof that elite measurables are not needed.  

As far as my plan? I'm a football fan, so my plan is to enjoy watching him develop and play to his ability, which is what has made him a winner at every level he's ever played.  I pray that our very young receiving core can do their part, yet I will still sit back at watch.  The potential for the collection of talent to come together and have careers together is actually pretty good. 

I'm not concerned about Geno Smith. He's not part of the equation.  

I am confident in Dave Canades.  Yes, that may be misplaced, but that's also my choice as a fan. I'm choosing to believe in Dave's ability to show case what made Young a winner to begin with. Perhaps Dave can even get more out of Young than anyone else has.  It's certainly a possibility.  

You choose to believe Young is incapable of winning of the NFL. 

Who is right or wrong? I honestly don't even care. At this point neither of us are wrong.  

If you wish to keep belittling me and my perspective, that is on you.  Have Blessed Day, man. Truly. 

Edited by pantherclaw

5 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

It's certainly not how I wrote it.  That is the thing about any communication that is not face to face.  Many just take it however they want to take it. 

So, number 1, stop assuming I'm attacking you.   I understand that from previous exchanges you and I have had on this forum, there has been that from both sides.  There is no point responding if that's how the exchanges are going to be.  I have re-evaluated my take on you, and have been responding differently.  Evidently you haven't cared to notice?  Whatever the reasoning, let that poo go, otherwise there is no point. 

As far as providing a comprehensive list of players that represent my perspective, I really have no interest in doing so.  That information is easily available.  

Tom Brady.  When he was drafted, he wasn't even considered average except his height.  Everything else was below average of what is considered the prototyping NFL measurements.   His arm strength was never elite in his entire career.  Yes, his arm may be stronger than young, but he was never considered elite arm strength..  it was his accuracy and his decisions. 

Joe Montana

Once again we have a player who had less than the prototypical measurements of  NFL qb. 

Drew Brews.  Pretty much the same, just didn't win as many championships as the first 2. 

Yes, I am mentioning NFL Hof Players.  The point of doing so, is to prove that physical measurements doesn't limit the player from playing above their measurements. That's it.  That's the point people have been harping. There is proof that elite measurables are not needed.  

As far as my plan? I'm a football fan, so my plan is to enjoy watching him develop and play to his ability, which is what has made him a winner at every level he's ever played.  I pray that our very young receiving core can do their part, yet I will still sit back at watch.  The potential for the collection of talent to come together and have careers together is actually pretty good. 

I am confident in Dave Canades.  Yes, that may be misplaced, but that's also my choice as a fan. I'm choosing to believe in Dave's ability to show case what made Young a winner to begin with. Perhaps Dave can even get more out of Young than anyone else has.  It's certainly a possibility.  

Who is right or wrong? I honestly don't even care. At this point neither of us are wrong.  

If you wish to keep belittling me and my perspective, that is on you.  Have Blessed Day, man. Truly. 

That's not proof it's called an anomaly 

If size doesn't matter then where are all the sub 6 foot qbs?

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Joe Montana

Montana was 6'2", so he could see over the line. Drew had much better arm talent than Bryce, and he's also significantly taller. I don't think you realize just how short and weak armed Bryce really is. Sadly, Bryce already plays above his measurements, because his measurements are of an average guy (of his age group) off the street. In other words, he's maxed out already. 

alft62f7cvea1.thumb.jpg.f64b3d1a62ad16e1e063d3f1ba015b06.jpg

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

The list of players who had above average physical measurables, and had failed to even secure a backup job, is actually a long list. 

The number of college players with below-NFL-average physical measurables who never made it to the NFL must be well over a million by now. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Joe Montana

Fair enough, we probably will never agree. 

I am with you on Canales. That’s about it. Brady had a good enough arm. Obviously. And yeah it was better. 

Montana probably is too slow to succeed like he did in the modern NFL. A lot of my take comes from the athleticism that has become the standard tin the league and I don’t believe the eras can really compare with mobile type of QBs in particular. 

And man the Brees comps,  he is so much smaller. He needs to earn those comps. we’ll see. 

Edited by strato

The list of players who had above average physical measurables, and had failed to even secure a backup job, is actually a long list. 

Yes! It is hard as poo already. So why make it harder on yourself with an outlier? 

That’s arguing the draft but it is relevant to his success or failure still today. 

If we get in an argument I am pretty sure I will offer facts and attempt to give reasons for my opinions. If I have belittled you personally in an exchange between us then I am sorry it is something I try to be better than.

Now, disagreeing is not belittling it is disagreeing. Peace

Edited by strato