• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young can have a breakout season in 2024

Verge

On 7/19/2024 at 12:11 PM, strato said:

Nothing that Jake said really supported what he was saying. Whether you agree or not, Verge did that.

Jake is like, well Geno did great with Canales so Bryce will too.

It ignores the experience advantage Smith has, and ignores his deep ball reputation.

https://atozsports.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks-news/seahawks-geno-smith-named-best-deep-passer-for-the-2022-season-nfl-news/

PLEASE note I am not saying that doesn’t mean Young won’t improve but it’s a lazy job by Jake; the only real commonality is Canales. And Jake works for the team media so what do you think he is going to say, no comment? 

Haven’t watched Person yet. 

You opinion on Jake's piece, aside.  Jake is a winner. He also wants what's best for this team.  I kind of get tired of hearing, "so and so works for the team, so he can't say anything negative "  that narrative is lazy and old. 

Jake has never been a yes man.  He's offer his opinion.  Yes, he's not going into detail. Frankly, he shouldn't have to. 

Bryce Young is a talented winner. That is why he was drafted first overall.  He should improve over his first season just with working on himself.   The line is improved, and the receiver room is full of talent even though it's young. 

It's not a stretch to say Young will have a break out season.  The stretch would be he sucks in his second season. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

On 7/19/2024 at 1:11 PM, strato said:

Nothing that Jake said really supported what he was saying. Whether you agree or not, Verge did that.

Jake is like, well Geno did great with Canales so Bryce will too.

It ignores the experience advantage Smith has, and ignores his deep ball reputation.

https://atozsports.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks-news/seahawks-geno-smith-named-best-deep-passer-for-the-2022-season-nfl-news/

PLEASE note I am not saying that doesn’t mean Young won’t improve but it’s a lazy job by Jake; the only real commonality is Canales. And Jake works for the team media so what do you think he is going to say, no comment? 

Haven’t watched Person yet. 

I’m thinking Geno will be our QB in 2025

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

You opinion on Jake's piece, aside.  Jake is a winner. He also wants what's best for this team.  I kind of get tired of hearing, "so and so works for the team, so he can't say anything negative "  that narrative is lazy and old. 

Jake has never been a yes man.  He's offer his opinion.  Yes, he's not going into detail. Frankly, he shouldn't have to. 

Bryce Young is a talented winner. That is why he was drafted first overall.  He should improve over his first season just with working on himself.   The line is improved, and the receiver room is full of talent even though it's young. 

It's not a stretch to say Young will have a break out season.  The stretch would be he sucks in his second season. 

I love Jake don’t get me wrong. I know what he was doing he is always a positive guy. 

And when you put Jake aside, there nothing else there. The whole thing was that it was a weak take.

Edited by strato

57 minutes ago, strato said:

I love Jake don’t get me wrong. I know what he was doing he is always a positive guy. 

And when you put Jake aside, there nothing else there. The whole thing was that it was a weak take.

Yeah comparing two guys with very good arms and years of experience in the NFL getting a boost from Canales coaching them up is different than Canales trying to work magic with Bryce, write a playbook around his limitations, and head coach the whole team. Specifically Geno was on the bench for 7 freaking years lol. Baker would have been more appropriate to highlight, though he can actually zip the ball and throw a nice deep ball, work out of under center for play action, etc. He could do all that before Canales got to work with him

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, PantherKyle said:

I'll never understand the disdain for Young from this fanbase. Def the Stroud factor I guess. I believe in him.

Because a group of posters have been trying to browbeat people into believing Bryce young was the second coming of Peyton manning and that CJ stroud was stupid only for Bryce to look like Pickles out there.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah comparing two guys with very good arms and years of experience in the NFL getting a boost from Canales coaching them up is different than Canales trying to work magic with Bryce, write a playbook around his limitations, and head coach the whole team. Specifically Geno was on the bench for 7 freaking years lol. Baker would have been more appropriate to highlight, though he can actually zip the ball and throw a nice deep ball, work out of under center for play action, etc. He could do all that before Canales got to work with him

He wasn't comparing the QBs different talents. He was stating Dave has a history of getting the most out of his QBs. 

It the fans take that Young size=no ability to play. 

31 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

He wasn't comparing the QBs different talents. He was stating Dave has a history of getting the most out of his QBs. 

It the fans take that Young size=no ability to play. 

Its not just the size. Its the size, plus a weak arm, terrible footwork, and not very agile or fast. 

All of this makes it very unlikely he will ever be a top 10 QB. His Breakout season would be a middle of the pack game manager. 

Id rather he just suck again and take a swing on a new QB, Young isnt winning anything meaningful in this league. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

Its not just the size. Its the size, plus a weak arm, terrible footwork, and not very agile or fast. 

All of this makes it very unlikely he will ever be a top 10 QB. His Breakout season would be a middle of the pack game manager. 

Id rather he just suck again and take a swing on a new QB, Young isnt winning anything meaningful in this league. 

His arm is fine. No, it's not elite.  Not very teams have elite arms. I'll take the kids accuracy or an elite strong arm.  

His footwork will be fine.  Judging it from last year when he couldn't even set his feet is just dumb.  

He's actually pretty damn agile too. 

So now I know you don't like him, period. You refuse to be unbiased towards him. 

That's fine, that's your choice, it also means you're pretty worthless having any Bryce Young conversation. 

• Beer 1

Only thing I can give Bryce is he stayed composed through it all which alone is pretty exceptional for a Panthers QB. Nothing else I saw from him was. I'll give him a pass because he was rookie in a clown show, but I expect Canales to set him up for success. I'm optimistic that we'll get a clear look at him this season either way.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

His arm is fine. No, it's not elite.  Not very teams have elite arms. I'll take the kids accuracy or an elite strong arm.  

His footwork will be fine.  Judging it from last year when he couldn't even set his feet is just dumb.  

He's actually pretty damn agile too. 

So now I know you don't like him, period. You refuse to be unbiased towards him. 

That's fine, that's your choice, it also means you're pretty worthless having any Bryce Young conversation. 

I believe you are biased also as far as that goes. The other way.

And it is difficult to have a Young conversation with you because you cannot accept anyone criticizing his football skill level. 

And it has zero to do with liking ‘him’. It’s football. 

edit: I mean, for real: What physical attribute does he have that woul;d be above average in the NFL? Anything that that grabs attention in the eye test. Something that gives him the advantage. Because I can’t find anything. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, strato said:

And it is difficult to have a Young conversation with you because you cannot accept anyone criticizing his football skill level. 

edit: I mean, for real: What physical attribute does he have that woul;d be above average in the NFL? Anything that that grabs attention in the eye test. Something that gives him the advantage. Because I can’t find anything. 

Yeah he missed my point. I wasn't saying Jake was comparing their physical attributes, I was saying Canales got to work with two guys recently that already had good arms and relatively good size, all he had to do was tweak their footwork and game a little bit. Bryce is a whole other level of project because he physically doesn't have any physical strengths to work with like the other two. Doesn't zip it in tight windows, doesn't throw a good deep ball, can't stand tall in the pocket. He's willing to take a hit but if he's in the pocket he has to bunny hop to even get the throw off. It's just way more of an uphill battle than what Canales had to figure out with Geno or Baker. Plus they had multiple years of experience in the NFL already as far as reading defenses etc

2 hours ago, strato said:

I'm sure it feels that way.  Little voice of reason on the huddle these days. 

Some of the greatest to play were not above average players.  I'm not saying get him a gold jacket now. What I am saying is let's watch him develop. He has exceeds his physical limitations his entire life.  Being above average authentically doesn't even promise that they can be average at the position. 

Playing NFL QB isn't just dropping back and chucking the ball. 

You and others are literally asking for the impossible.  He's never going to have elite physical traits. Everyone knew this before he was drafted.  

After 1 season where the entire offense blew chunks,  the bias against his stature is alive in well in way to many fans. Especially from a franchise that have had elite small players. 

Edited by pantherclaw