• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young can have a breakout season in 2024

Verge

For Bryce, it's not a stat line I'm looking for, although advanced metrics can be good indicators for improvement.  What I can't unsee are the Indy, Chicago, Jags and NO games last year. Those were specifically the ones you don't want to see from anyone at this level, at any moment.  Completely stunted, can't move the ball, can't sustain drives or get points.    

He really needs to figure a lot out this year at that fundamental level.  

We'll be able to tell fairly quickly when things start up if he still looks like a fish out of water.   I'm giving some slack going into the season, but it will apparent early IMO.  It will be telling if he has the growth in him/what it takes to be at least an average starter. 

Patience is indeed a virtue, but last year was bad enough that there needs to be a certain bar that's reached.      

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

It's interesting how a position like "I'm not ready to write off Bryce Young yet" has for months been considered delusional cope by a very vocal and active group of posters on these boards, but with the broader general fanbase that's actually a relatively mild take that >90% would agree with.  This just goes to show how incredibly radicalized the Huddle has become.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5644267/2024/07/18/carolina-panthers-fan-survey-results-bryce-young/

image.png.5a5e67042d76dee155911d9ac84090cd.png

Looks like the reporter called Shocker 154 times. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

We'll be able to tell fairly quickly when things start up if he still looks like a fish out of water.   I'm giving some slack going into the season, but it will apparent early IMO.  It will be telling if he has the growth in him/what it takes to be at least an average starter. 

I agree. My fear is that with Canales he becomes serviceable which puts us right back in that 7-8 win territory that forces another trade up for a QB 

Sure the situation last year was awful but a lot of the sacks were on Bryce last season. There were also more than enough plays each game last year where if he was able to process and play within the timing of the offense there were easy completions to be made

• Pie 1

We would need to have patience in the QB hunt. Thinking you could just buy your way out of it is pretty questionable thinking.

No top 5 trade ups that cripple your next several seasons just to get that 'high hope’ harvest of one player from that year’s crop. Accept your draft position and be smart about it. 

One thing that would help is remembering you have hired, hopefully (that word again), people that can maximize QB talent. Maybe find someone he thinks he can unlock.

• Beer 1

I was a Bryce guy but I don't believe he has NFL elite potential after watching him for a season.

He could certainly turn it around but I believe his ceiling is substantially lower than what was advertised. 

The most Panthers thing to happen is for him to just settle into being mediocre to slightly above average. Then we extend him based on the owner being high on copium/hopium so that the whole thing ends up being dragged out for almost a decade before we move on.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 2

I don’t know how it will turn out but..

If the guy can’t shine, and they won’t move to replace him that would be a deal breaker for me. I didn’t agree to be a chump for 5 years over a deal I hated to begin with. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, strato said:

One thing that would help is remembering you have hired, hopefully (that word again), people that can maximize QB talent. Maybe find someone he thinks he can unlock.

Picking up Jack Plummer as qb3 didn't exactly strike me as them taking it very seriously this year. I know they're going to play Bryce no matter what but Plummer isn't even a developmental guy, he's just tall. 

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Picking up Jack Plummer as qb3 didn't exactly strike me as them taking it very seriously this year. I know they're going to play Bryce no matter what but Plummer isn't even a developmental guy, he's just tall. 

He throws balloon balls like will grier

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I was a Bryce guy but I don't believe he has NFL elite potential after watching him for a season.

He could certainly turn it around but I believe his ceiling is substantially lower than what was advertised. 

The most Panthers thing to happen is for him to just settle into being mediocre to slightly above average. Then we extend him based on the owner being high on copium/hopium so that the whole thing ends up being dragged out for almost a decade before we move on.

Yeah that's close to where I'm falling, I'll give him the start of this season to check where he's at.  4-6 games should give a sense of how things are shaking out.

But you're right, we saw him play for a full season.  Now that was in a bad offense & on a bad team, but we still got to see him at times for what he can be.  His ceiling is an above-average starter if everything goes perfectly.  And those types can win a playoff game, maybe get lucky and go on a run one year.  But the thing is, I just never saw him do anything that was like, "oh damn, 1 overall makes sense, this kid was made to be a QB". He was either completely off or executed according to plan.  Never went above or really created out of structure.  That's the issue for me, we were sold otherwise in that regard.  And even taking out the idea of finding another Cam, I just want someone to create as much as Jake did. 

A decent talent with below average tools simply isn't fun.  Especially when he looks out of his depth.          

That's my bottom line - you need a certain baseline toolset and he's such an outlier, I'm unsure if he's at that required floor.  His tools don't give you a plus in any of the big categories you look for these days: arm strength, size, intermediate accuracy, speed, elusiveness, vision, timing.  He's got toughness, professionalism, & smarts, but I mean, that can only take you so far in sports.    

We'll have an idea fairly quickly if he's more than what we saw last year and can create something in the QC.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

I get it. This is the action before admitting failure. Due diligence, whatever. You have to make sure. Canales’ 1st job I’d say. You put him to work. 

With Young I can see a path to .... something better than last year. How much is the question and it totally hinges on backing the defense off and making them defend more square yards.

I should have said ‘primarily’ not totally.

bearhands, that has always been the story. He doesn’t physically translate to the NFL, JMO. There are no above average physical traits and you have to have something that puts you in the game with these athletic freaks. I probably mark too much off for where he was selected.... but it pretty much stands. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1