• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russell Okung on Dave Canales:

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

true. you have to have someone set the tone and i think that's what jake and cam both did. the teams matched their personalities because that was the culture that they brought in.

i don't know that bryce has that kind of spirit...i mean he might, but for me that's probably been the biggest issue, he just doesn't have this dominant personality. it would be great if he did, but he might not need to.

what we saw in jake and cam, we might have in canales, and i think that's where things like what okung is saying is good news. looks like canales is a cultural tone setter like cam and jake were.

i think we like to see the QB be that guy, but he shouldn't have to be. that actually should be the coach.

That's why I make the Eli Manning analogy with Bryce.  To me, that's be comparable in terms of leadership style.  Eli grew but it was long and slow....and even at the end it just wasn't the textbook style you actually want from a franchise QB. 

The Giants managed to win 2 Super Bowls with that.  But Eli was an average QB. He wasn't a tone setter.  I don't think he people around him better than any other average starting QB would be doing.   He was 1 of 11 largely. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

but he should just be able to do it just managing the offense. i know the concept of a game managing QB isn't what we want these days, but that's really all you need if you can get all the other pieces in place and coach and game call effectively. 

we want a superman. if things are done right, we don't need one. i would like for us to be able to win without one. 

Look at the Super Bowl winners. Supermen win championships, and if you’re not trying to get one then you’re doing it wrong.  Or at least a Batman. We currently have someone with Robin potential at best. And not one of the good ones. The dead one. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

That's why I make the Eli Manning analogy with Bryce.  To me, that's be comparable in terms of leadership style.  Eli grew but it was long and slow....and even at the end it just wasn't the textbook style you actually want from a franchise QB. 

The Giants managed to win 2 Super Bowls with that.  But Eli was an average QB. 

true. there was nothing special really in any regard with eli, but they won with him. 

23 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Look at the Super Bowl winners. Supermen win championships, and if you’re not trying to get one then you’re doing it wrong.  Or at least a Batman. We currently have someone with Robin potential at best. And not one of the good ones. The dead one. 

lSX7DXezv-Twai8G-HZCJhIzd6WI93ScwJ86ioQjonM.thumb.webp.303b89020705e115ee025567008f2692.webp

zfuui6I.png.fa9dc13ec85f6db96c496c96e6f2e641.png

0f9a378014_brady_02262008.webp.38ce08fe8474d46a7a575d7d169f0901.webp

5292b269d0d5488e8f8b7ca03529950f_md.webp.0065f32ef972a7cad7b2c2262440090d.webp

^Supermen apparently

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

lSX7DXezv-Twai8G-HZCJhIzd6WI93ScwJ86ioQjonM.thumb.webp.303b89020705e115ee025567008f2692.webp

zfuui6I.png.fa9dc13ec85f6db96c496c96e6f2e641.png

0f9a378014_brady_02262008.webp.38ce08fe8474d46a7a575d7d169f0901.webp

^Supermen apparently

I mean, if Brady isn’t a football Superman I don’t know many who are. Foles and Eli were anomalies. Foles benefitted by being a late plugin like Jeff Hostetler. Linus has an amazing team perfectly built to beat the Patriots. I’d argue it’s harder to build the perfect team than to find a Justice League QB

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Everyone is trying to get a great qb. If it was easy they wouldn't be called Suoermen.

Brady and Mahomes are 7 of the last 10. Brady was Superman? Huh?

Edited by csx

Just now, JawnyBlaze said:

I mean, if Brady isn’t a football Superman I don’t know many who are. Foles and Eli were anomalies. Foles benefitted by being a late plugin like Jeff Hostetler. Linus has an amazing team perfectly built to beat the Patriots. I’d argue it’s harder to build the perfect team than to find a Justice League QB

Ben-1-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.87a84d3c558b2918bddf82bdccdec6c5.jpg

Captain Fatfug, Leader of men

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

So recent Super Bowl winners not named Brady or Mahomes are just anomalies? Manning was a shell of himself when he won last, Russ isn’t a Superman…

• Pie 1

i'd just like to say that winning a superbowl is an anomaly for any QB not named Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes. 

there is no QB prototype that consistently wins championships.

QB doesn't win championships.

Winner goes to teams that can do their damn job and that's usually teams that are coached better.

The unmentioned thing with the dad bod QBs seen above is… they can make ALL the throws, in the clutch, on their third read, when it matters, to B level talent. If a qb is able to do that, not much else matters. If they can’t… not much else matters there, either.

Jake to Proehl and Mangum. Cam to Byrd. That’s how teams are able to go deep in to the playoffs consistently. Injury cut both careers short, and we’ve been flailing ever since.

When your QB can make B talent in to pro-bowlers, teams win. JAGs go off. 6 catches for 140 and 2 TDs. Every play is a potential TD.

Draft order goes o line, d line/pass rush/corners then WR. RB in 5th round or later. They don’t fall for the ‘generational talent’ seen every year BS. They just draft solid. Dudes are traded before big contracts for premium assets. You keep THAT DUDE that keeps other coaches awake at night. True blue chip guys that have no equal, and will be the reason at least 2 games are won every season. Garrett, Watt, Donald, Bosa, etc. the ones you know won’t check out after their first big payday because they’re thinking HOF. Your stud QB makes that all possible. 

You attract top up and coming coaching talent with HC aspirations, not washed up has beens or never were(s). 

It is the recipe. Trying to do it any other way might be doable for a season or 2, but it is just 1 bad draft or key injury away from imploding in to a complete rebuild. It’s fragile. 

I want Bryce to exceed my wildest expectations because small ball scares nobody. It will be figured out quickly. Bryce, please prove me and a whole lot of other people wrong. First impressions are everything and you have a serious uphill battle. 

Tepper wanted to cut in line. He came in feeling like he cracked the code nobody could crack. He completely ignored the leadership and culture side of the business. Players saw how badly he disrespected Wilks. Through Steve’s leadership alone, defying everything Tep wanted to do, For a brief while, he brought some level of respect back to the organization.

Edited by Gapanthersfan

6 hours ago, NCBlu said:

Funny thing is he wants to do the same things Wilks wanted, run the ball to set up the pass. Wilks was hounded for that, it's a passing league bla bla but Dave is getting a pass for saying the same thing for now ...

Could have save time just giving Wilks a shot but oh well.

Mike Evans is still running.